Is 26 Nosler abandoned?

Lots of cartridges lose their luster after introduction and I think the 26 is one of them, but for sure it is a killer with the right bullet for lots of game. Like you, my friend just acquired one for himself and he is in love!

I bought a 26 Nosler Browning X Bolt a few years ago when Cabelas had it on clearance. Bought a few boxes of Nosler brand 26 Nosler ammo off their blem site. Shot the "blem" ammo (shot great) to zero scope and get brass to load. Loaded Barnes 127 LRX and harvested a mule deer in Wyoming.

However, Nosler seems to have abandoned the 26 Nosler - never ammo or brass in stock. Seems like Nosler puts a cartridge on market then supports dries up in a few years. I have reached out to Nosler but no responses to my email inquiries.
Well I cannot say for 100% sure, but ammo manufacturers all have a priority on fast moving ammo and from what I can see the 26 Nosler is not one of them even though it is their own cartridge. On a regular basis I check to see what is on the shelve and whatever ammo emporium I am at. Have to admit that the 26 Nosler is not faring well. Doesn't mean that it is being ignored, just that other cartridges have a higher priority right now.

I don't have any data on either the 26 or 28 Noslers. I would think you should be able to size down the 28 to make 26 Noslers. Do it all the time on belted mag cases.

I don't think the cartridge is abandoned any more or less than anything Nosler had neen doing. I am a big Nosler fan but any of their products have been very scarce last several years. Seems like recently they have been shipping more stuff but seems over a year, year and half behind most other companies and still not a full selection. I dont know if they have some military contracts, labor shortages, or what

Lou

I've had no problem getting brass for my 26. I have always found brass from Hornady or even Norma on shelves in stores. No short supply that I've seen. Remember that the 26 nosler parent case is the 404 Jeffery. Any thing in the Rum family 300 rum 7mm rum and more...
It has been a while sense I've seen factory loads in store, but who are we kidding we know the 26 nosler wants to be hand loaded desperately. Been there done that. Love my 26 nosler. 500 + rounds and still shooting great. Browning xbolt.

I love my 26. It loves lrt powder. I'm hoping the ball powder extends the barrel life a little. The 156 pancakes the critters with mild recoil and no brake. Instant DRT kills.

As long as I can get brass I'll buy barrels.
20211020202805_IMG_0262.JPG

In all honesty, I have never looked at barrel life as a factor in choosing a cartridge…if I did, I would never had designed my own wildcats on the full sized 416 Rigby case by moving the shoulder and necking it down and blowing it out. The end design; a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° shoulder that is remarkably similar to the 33XC that came much later, is a pure efficient machine using 285-325g bullets.
I use a custom brass CNC turned solid brass 323g bullet for 1 mile and 2000 metre comp shoots, all bullet weights are well above 3000fps and the brass solid leaves the muzzle at 3200fps +/-.
I also designed a 30 and 375 on the same case, but never actually had the reamers made due to my circumstances changing in Feb 2022.

Cheers.