Iosso

Progression of cleaning with Boretech products;
Top right and down,then repeat columns to the left.

Leftmost column is two Free All wet patches, two black ones are after scrubbing with a bore brush. Over time, the color fades, but they were pitch black when they first came out.

Amazing the junk that comes out even when you think it's relatively clean.

Attachments

• 20240317_085139.jpg
    20240317_085139.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 78
For those of you that have used Free all and Kroil, which one works better in your opinion?
I have used Kroil, Losso and JB bore paste for
years and they work but it sure takes a lot of scrubbing. I usually start with Patch Out to get the easy stuff out. Thanks
Free All is superior to the Kroil, and I used Kroil for 20 years.

For those of you that have used Free all and Kroil, which one works better in your opinion?
I have used Kroil, Losso and JB bore paste for
years and they work but it sure takes a lot of scrubbing. I usually start with Patch Out to get the easy stuff out. Thanks
Free All worked better but you have to soak a patch,then get the barrel wet and let it sit to soften the carbon.Then use a brush to remove it.
If you apply the Free All and right away try to remove the carbon it will take forever to get it out.Let it soak and then brush it out.

Thanks. I see it on Amazon in a spray. Is that the correct kind? Obviously, the one without graphite. I am in the sticks, so no regular auto parts stores nearby

Got Flitz Bore Cleaner coming.Should be here by late next week.
I think Ez-Off would also remove bluing so be careful if you try that.
I have some Carbon Off that came in during our snow storm and it has not been opened yet.It will for sure take off bluing so I plan on wrapping the muzzle with electrical tape and vasolene on crown before using it in the bore.Going super slow!
I've heard and read that Carbonoff is the shizzle.

I would think "oven cleaner" would be harmful but I'm not a chemist/metlurgical guy. Oven cleaner is used on ovens that are porcelain coated not sure what it would do to bare steel.

i don't want to sound stupid, but has anybody ever tried Ez-Off oven cleaner in a bad carbon situation?
gun carbon is created with more heat and pressure, that i realize.
Back in the 80's I would buy $50 Mausers with very ugly barrels, fill them with oven cleaner and leave them overnight.
The lye in the oven cleaner worked better than anything I have used before or since.
But you need to make sure to clean out the oven cleaner to prevent rust.
Some of those guns shot very well after cleaning.

Progression of cleaning with Boretech products;
Top right and down,then repeat columns to the left.

Leftmost column is two Free All wet patches, two black ones are after scrubbing with a bore brush. Over time, the color fades, but they were pitch black when they first came out.

Amazing the junk that comes out even when you think it's relatively clean.
Can you try and keep your "columns" a little straighter? 😜

Thanks. I see it on Amazon in a spray. Is that the correct kind? Obviously, the one without graphite. I am in the sticks, so no regular auto parts stores nearby
Yes that is the stuff.
One of my neighbors just got his can from Amazon and used it last friday.
He thought his bore was clean until he ran a single patch soaked with Free All on it came out Jet black!
I told him to be sure and let it soak and he did let it sit.His has been shooting that rifle for several years just cleaning with Hoppie's and thought it was clean.The carbon was hiding copper so like me, last year he spent all day cleaning until there was zero black coming out on the patch and zero blue when using BoreTech so he went to the range yesterday and rifle went back to shooting great.

You can get Free All in a NON spray can and by the Gallon directly from the company with really inexpensive postage:

I order the liquid directly from the company, 14 oz can with a hand pump sprayer.

Key to the Free All is to let it soak, push a bore mop loaded with it prior to leaving the rifle range if you can, let it sit till the next day.

Another trick I learned from a gunsmith is to wrap FINE grade bronze wool in the bronze bristle or plastic brush, I could not believe how effective this technique is without harming or scratching very smooth bores:

Here is where I get mine, one pack will last a very long time

This "trick" sure helped me get hard carbon out of my barrels. With the very worst, I had to use either JB, Flitz bore cleaner, in the bronze wool.