Interesting result with MagPro

Denny2277

Went out this morning to do a mini ladder test with my new 270WSM. Loaded three rounds each of with 67 grains, 67.5 grains and 68 grains. The cold bore shot was a little to the right with the two following shots touching. The entire group was under an inch. No big deal, the next group got a little more interesting. First shot was about an 1.5 inches to the right and the two follow up shots were right dead on and in the same hole. So I moved on to the 68 grain loads. First shot 2 inches to the right and the next two dead on and in the same hole. This seems a little odd to me. I have checked my rings and they are tight. The rifle is new and I've shot 20 rounds in it so far and I've cleaned it after every five rounds. Have any of you ever had something like this happen before? The rifle is a Savage Model 11 FCNS 1:10 twist. It has a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 scope. My loads consisted of Winchester Brass, WLRM primers and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

What I gather from your post is that as pwdr (pressure) increases, groups move laterally?

Correct?

Not unheard of.

You may wish to do the OCW (optimum charge weight) load development method. Which sis intended to determine a chg weight that can vary a bit and keep accuracy.

I have found the OCW to be bennificial when using Temperature sensitives pwdrs.

Also, you may consider checking the bedding, including screw torque.

HTH

I have tried Magpro in a number of different calibers and I never was able to get the accuracy I was looking for. I got great velocity but the accuracy was lacking. I never got the results that you did but I was not satisfied.

The people that have gotten good accuracy almost always seemed to find it at or near max loads. You are still below the max so you could work up closer to the max and see what happens. Did you chronograph you loads?

Well, I thought I was going to shoot some groups of five with the different powder weights. When I went to my bench I found I only had nine bullets left. I went ahead and cleaned my rifle again and loaded four rounds with 67.5 grains and five rounds with 68 grains here are my results. The top pic shows the 67.5 group. As you can see it was looking real good until the forth shot flier. The second group was the five shot group with 68 grains. I think my load is going to be between 67.5 and 68 grains with a little seating depth play.

Attachments

• 270 wsm 1.JPG
    270 wsm 1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 270 wsm 2.JPG
    270 wsm 2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.