Interesting ladder test results. Ideas?

Ok. I am not much of a node hunter, so I would go to 79g and work there. Load several and check your accuracy and speed. Accuracy is more important than low es. Es under 30 with good accuracy means you are good to very long range. If accuracy here is not as expected then there are a couple of things to work on. One at a time not both. Work on seating depth to find a sweet spot or neck tension / crimp to settle it down. You may have said. How far is the lands are you? I would start seating deeper 20 thou art a time and see if accuracy settles in. If you are 20 thou or closer to the lands we May see the velocity settle with a bit more jump.
Currently .020 off lands. Was thinking to try .030 and .040 next. Are you saying try .040 and .060? This should also reduce pressure correct? I can start crimping.

Hey butterbean! I was thinking h1000 was too fast. Lots of case capacity left but hitting pressure. If you are referring to neck interference as some people call neck tension, i run a mandrel thats .001 under. So .283 in this case. I havent tried using the FCD you made me on this rifle yet. Guess i probably should.

Two of my friends bought 28 noslers and i built a 28 sherman mag and i am doing load development on all 3 at the same time. Less range trips.

Hope you are well friend
Tighten your neck tension up to .003 or so seat it to the last PRR groove and crimp then try the H1000 again but I still think it's gonna be too slow

Tighten your neck tension up to .003 or so seat it to the last PRR groove and crimp then try the H1000 again but I still think it's gonna be too slow
At .001 with a good chamfer it still seems to shave some copper off the bullet. Must be worse at .003? I havent seen a .281 mandrel

Ladders have zero to do with velocity, your looking at vertical dispersion and a
" node".
some people do the vertical dispersion and some people look for a flat spot in velocity. I personally do both, I shoot with labradar at a target with dots in a line. I then compare my velocity spread and look at poi and try to find a spot where the poi and velocity have a "node"

Well, the brass was probably the culprit. Checked the brass my buddy gave me with his rifle. Theres 3 different lot #s. All nosler. Last time i loaded i ran out of brass in one box and grabbed another.

Good call guys

So, after its once fired should it be close enough, or how can i resolve this for my friend? We are hunters n dont really get down to the neck turning/weight sorting/brass culling sort of detail. But if the different lots are going to cause that big of difference, then theres definitely a problem that has to be fixed

Nev, you can do a ladder all day long and shoot little bit groups at 100 yards. I've seen them have single digit ES then at 600-800 yard vertical dispersion goes to crap and your actual node is in another area or another powder. You said it's a hunting rifle and 99% of the guys on here are all hunting rifles some shoot more some shoot less. Your not gonna really know anything about your load until you shoot stretch it out and shoot in different circumstances.

Because of the throat esrosion, and it's a hunting rifle, I will buy 150 pieces of new brass just for the rifle. I then will shoot them and find a load for it with the first 40-100 pieces of brass. I then have 50 left to shoot for future hunts. When I get to the point they are all shot I then tweak the load to find the node again using the once shot brass. This serves me the best purpose for calibers such as the 28 nosler because the way I shoot the 28N it's toast in 400 to 500 rounds and I screw on a new barrel. Love the caliber.

Nosler brass is soft. I'm telling you once you find a load for it and you load them up once fired your gonna be surprised I'm afraid. You can find the velocity and powder nodes with new brass but always tweak them after using once fired brass. Once is all it will take with the 28N. Good luck 👍

I agree with BB on the hammers. Totally different beast

More investigation leads to proof it was the brass. I started weighing the brass. One lot was consistently 250gr +- the other lot, the original one i started with. All 282 gr +-. I was able to divide the lots back up easily visibly (shiny brass / dull dark brass) and verify by weight. So now i have my original ladder brass 50 pcs. And the newer shinier brass (albeit 30gr lighter) 75 pcs. And one box of 25 thats a misfit. Im going to take the 50pc and start with 3 shot groups again. 78.9 and 79. With 2 seating depths.

Sorry guys i just dont have a range any longer than 200yds nearby.