Interesting ladder test results. Ideas?

How many of you guys do load development in the 1st 100 rounds on a new rifle? And for those that do, what do you have to change as the barrel speeds up?

Yessir! Crazy hey? Now that velocity spike makes some sense doesnt it

Implies Nosler sources brass from >1 supplier.

When I get rifle brass I weigh 'em. Generally lots of 100, 200 or 500.Yeah it's a PIA. Depending on the dispersion they get sorted into batches of 50 or 100. Quality brass (Peterson, Laupua, Nammo & surprisingly, Privi Partizan in 30-30 & Hornet, ime) typically is a smaller overall range, lightest to heaviest.

Powder capacity doesn't strictly follow weight but weight is a gross indicator of volume. I see no way in heck that case weight could vary by that percentage without effecting capacity. Maybe Nosler weighs batches before loading them - sure hope so.

I would darn sure do so - and keep records - before reloading them. 😬

Last edited:
Nev, you can do a ladder all day long and shoot little bit groups at 100 yards. I've seen them have single digit ES then at 600-800 yard vertical dispersion goes to crap and your actual node is in another area
this can hold true but I've also found if it doesn't shoot at 100 it's not gonna shoot long range. I still develop at 100 and verify at long range.

this can hold true but I've also found if it doesn't shoot at 100 it's not gonna shoot long range. I still develop at 100 and verify at long range.
Totally agree with the 100 shooting. But I find a good spot at 100 basically breaking in rifle and exploring powder charges then immediately take it out to 600 to do dispersions.

Totally agree with the 100 shooting. But I find a good spot at 100 basically breaking in rifle and exploring powder charges then immediately take it out to 600 to do dispersions.

Nearest local range (200 yards) is 16 miles. Closest long range (800 yards) is 28 miles and no magmums allowed. (OK on their 100-yd facility). Range where one can shoot magnum cartridges at long range is about 80 mi.

I get that's not the case for everybody. & agree that when one intends to hunt at 600 yards & beyond they need to confirm performance before putting crosshairs on fur.

In the present economic conditions I'm doing all the load development possible at the nearest place and glad to have it.

YMMV, literally.

Implies Nosler sources brass from >1 supplier.

When I get rifle brass I weigh 'em. Generally lots of 100, 200 or 500.Yeah it's a PIA. Depending on the dispersion they get sorted into batches of 50 or 100. Quality brass (Peterson, Laupua, Nammo & surprisingly, Privi Partizan in 30-30 & Hornet, ime) typically is a smaller overall range, lightest to heaviest.

Powder capacity doesn't strictly follow weight but weight is a gross indicator of volume. I see no way in heck that case weight could vary by that percentage without effecting capacity. Maybe Nosler weighs batches before loading them - sure hope so.

I would darn sure do so - and keep records - before reloading them. 😬
Keep in mind these are just the components they gave me with their rifles. Trying to make the best of it to help them out.

I think we all have our own connotation of what ladder test means to us. I definitely need to learn the target latter method better. Interested in doing both.

Check this out…👍

Simply answer use 79gr.
Complicated answer with so many variables to measure if you have the time and effort - internal case variance, case fill capacity, powder crush, chronograph moodiness, case temperatures, etc....
It's not an innumerable amount of variables to measure its just time consuming.
I think the most significant variable is the brass and likely variation in internal volume. I have used machined brass made from a slight harder alloy with more spring to it and immediately I saw ESs in the 3 fps range. It was 338 LM brass. For drawn brass I've tried picking those cases that on fire forming ( new unfired brass) yield the same velocity. Neck tension is another significant variable.

How many of you guys do load development in the 1st 100 rounds on a new rifle? And for those that do, what do you have to change as the barrel speeds up?
right away I do a velocity ladder and then quick seating depth. After 150 rounds I do a full load development. I find the powder will change a fair bit but the seating depth usually stays really close

Check this out…👍

Great video. Thank you. I will try to use that method in combination with velocity method. Now i just need to find a place to shoot and buy a target cam. Lol

Great video. Thank you. I will try to use that method in combination with velocity method. Now i just need to find a place to shoot and buy a target cam. Lol
You can do it at any range really. 100 can be tougher to see the vertical dispersion, 200 yards is usually enough, this is essentially what I do but labradar. Then I look for flat spots in the velocity curve and compare to target looking at poi.