Interesting article

jsali

Some people may recognize the name some may not.

"http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2007/01/30/grizzly-poacher.html"

Just remove the quotations.

Alberta man fined for killing Yukon grizzly
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 | 12:49 PM CT
CBC News

A 45-year-old Alberta man who bragged on the internet about killing a Yukon grizzly bear has been fined $4,000 for illegal hunting.

Richard Graves, of Wetaskiwin, pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced in a Whitehorse court Monday.

Graves came to the Yukon last May to hunt for a grizzly with Yukoner David Odo, a man he had met on a website called Canadian Gun Nutz, the court was told in an agreed statement of facts.

Odo received a special permit to guide Graves on a hunt in the Takhini area north of Whitehorse.

After two weeks with no success, the pair, along with another Yukoner, Robert Russel, travelled to an area south of Haines Junction, far from the approved hunting location, where Graves had better luck.

The next day they posted a photo of Graves with his bear trophy along with a story about the hunt on the Canadian Gun Nutz website.

The area where they shot the bear is the exclusive hunting area of Devilhole Outfitters. A hunt with Devilhole would cost about $25,000, the court was told.

When questioned by officials after the hunt where the bear had been killed, they lied, saying it was near Takhini Crossing where they had permission to hunt.

The $4,000 fine includes a $500 trophy fee and a $2,000 rifle that was confiscated when Graves was charged.

Graves has also been banned from hunting in the Yukon for seven years.

Russel has already been fined $1,500 for his part in the hunt. Odo is scheduled to go to trial in March.

Afraid so, there's a few things in the article that don't ring true though. It doesn't change what was done but I read the thread on that particular bear and at no point did Richard "brag" or post at all regarding the matter. The thread and pictures were posted by someone else.

With just the little information in this article I'm gonna say I suspect that this was a case of far less than flagrant disrespect for the law(s).

I'm sticking with Richard as a fine man and I'll pass no judgement based on this info. I've met and chatted with Richard and his family several times and have been a guest in his house, he's a fine man with a fine family... There's something more here that we're not completely aware of I'm sure.

Richard has always been a stand up guy with everybody and it looks to me like he was up front with this and took his licks like a man. I wish only the best for him and his family. Everyone makes mistakes, it's whether we learn form them or not that shows what we are made of.

Richard Graves is a friend and someone that I hold in the highest respect. I consider him to be one of the most honest and up front guys I've ever dealt with and that is how I will continue to view him. As a friend, I'll stand behind and beside him, and I'm sure that this will work itself out. If an animal was killed in the wrong area, I'm of the belief that Richard did nothing intentionally wrong. He's just not that kind of a guy. Don't judge or convict anyone until you know all of the facts, and all of the facts are something we'll probably never really know.

Given all of the above, I stand beside and behind Richard 100% and will continue to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish only the best for him and his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and that is why you posted the story I guess. You just did it because you wished only the best for him.

I don't know Richard nor have I used his products but now I will. My reason? I know or have known a few sanctimonious,lying,thieving, SOBs. Everyone here has met them in their lives. The thread I've found they all have in common? They would rather die than admit they had made a mistake or scr*w*d someone.These type personalities can not admit they are human too. Sounds like Richard stood up and took it if you ask me. His fault, the guide's, or both, doesn't matter. He stood up. He's paying the price. Live, learn and move on. Everyday need not be Judgement Day. Just my humble opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Richard Graves is a friend and someone that I hold in the highest respect. I consider him to be one of the most honest and up front guys I've ever dealt with and that is how I will continue to view him. As a friend, I'll stand behind and beside him, and I'm sure that this will work itself out. If an animal was killed in the wrong area, I'm of the belief that Richard did nothing intentionally wrong. He's just not that kind of a guy. Don't judge or convict anyone until you know all of the facts, and all of the facts are something we'll probably never really know.

Given all of the above, I stand beside and behind Richard 100% and will continue to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

An article with a little more detail.

http://w ww.whitehorsestar.com/auth.php?r=45767

Man fined, prohibited from hunting

By STEPHANIE WADDELL

An Alberta man has been banned from hunting in the Yukon for seven years and ordered to pay $1,500.
Territorial court Judge John Faulkner made the order today after Richard Graves' lawyer, Ed Horembala, changed his client's plea from not guilty to guilty on a charge of hunting grizzly bear in a zone where he wasn't permitted.
Graves, a resident of Wetaskawin, Alta., was not present in court this morning.
Further Wildlife Act charges around the incident dating back to last May were stayed.
Crown prosecutor Lee Kirkpatrick brought forward an agreed statement of fact reached by the defence and Crown.
Kirkpatrick told the court that last May, Graves was being guided on a hunt by a Yukoner in an area where there was another designated outfitter for the zone.
Outside residents aren't allowed to hunt there without the outfitter.
On the way back to Whitehorse, Graves and his guide placed the Yukoner's hunting tag on the grizzly in case they were stopped, Kirkpatrick said.
They later put Graves' tag on the bear and reported the kill to the territorial Department of Environment offices, although officials were told it happened in another zone.
Graves paid a $500-trophy fee for the kill.
In bringing forward the joint submission for the fine and prohibition, Kirkpatrick noted that Graves had entered an early guilty plea and hadn't sought the return of the grizzly bear carcass.
Horembala also indicated Graves was willing to abide by a seven-year prohibition on hunting in the Yukon.
The total fine was set at $4,000 in total, taken from the $500-trophy fee, the value of the gun and scope forfeited at $2,000 and the remaining $1,500 to be paid immediately.
It was also agreed there would be no victim surcharge in the case.
Horembala noted Graves is 46 and a fifth-generation Alberta farmer, though he now works in bullet-making.
He is also married with two children, one who is attending university and another who is in Grade 12.

So, do you plan on sending me any more insulting PM's trying to telling me what an innocent bystander you are and what a nasty mean person I am?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.