Interested in First Drop Hunt...How?

eicas

Hello.

Sons and I have decided to start something new in 2015. We've deer and upland hunted in the midwest (IL, UP MI) the past 15 or so years. Deer hunting has been mostly from stands with gun and bow. Now that they are older (late teens, twenties) we'd like to start a new tradition while the old man (me:)) still can.

Ive contacted an outfitter in eastern MT, and starting to put some feelers out with friends who have hunted the West. A drop hunt would really be a preference for us, although I'm not adverse to a "do it yourself" so long as we have the time to do it right.

If you were in our shoes, what would your first steps be? We're all heathy, in decent shape and have the ability to travel where we need to go. Big question, I know, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks.

BTW, great site here. To say its a "wealth of info" would be an understatement.

To me drop hunt implies setting up a camp and mostly walking from there or maybe atv. I would not antelope in MT that way. With some public land maps, gps and a bit of driving from block to block you can find antelope. If you can find someone that will give you access to 1000's of acres of private for a small fee that might work. I would be prepared to cover many many miles spotting. The stocks are hard to pull off sometimes due to terrain. Dont get locked into a small area!

I've done serveral DIY elk hunts in Colorado. Lots of public land. Lots of elk. Beautiful scenery. In 9 years of going out I was only unsuccessful 1 year. A lot of fires and unusually warm temps that year had the animals scattered. Right now I'm working on a DIY antelope hunt in Wyoming. Never been to Wyoming so I have no idea. Hunting the west is extreemly different than the mid west. It's really worth the experiance. I got addicted to it, until my hunting buddy (dad) passed. But that's been a few years ago, and trust me, plans are being made again.
First thing you need to do is sit down and discuss what you want to hunt. Then start searching for a state with a decent amount of public land, animals, and tags. Western public land is not like eastern public land. It's much better. More vast, and less people. Then start trying to understand the states hunting manual. You can call the DNR to ask questions. Once you pick your game and state, start figuring out how to get tags and which area of the state to try to hunt. Don't hesitate to call the DNR of what ever state you want to hunt. Ask them flat out, how hard is it to get a tag in your state and what kind of land access is availible? You can apply as a group in most states.
Or, you can throw a couple grand each at an outfitter who will most likely take you to hunt public land, if you can get a tag.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input and PMs. Keep it coming! I figured Id start early since Im starting from square #1.

Or, you can throw a couple grand each at an outfitter who will most likely take you to hunt public land, if you can get a tag.

This certainly can and has happened. While you really don't need a guide to hunt antelope, you do need access and a tag.

Some public land western tags these days can take several points (years). There are reliable outfitters leasing large parcels of private land, that draw at, or near the 100% mark.

An outfitter can open gates you can't by yourself.

I have done several DIY hunts all over out west. Elk, Mulies, Antelope and black bear. You can do it and be successful but it takes lots of research leg work call the game wardens they are a wealth of info on any given area you are considering. Talk to wildlife biologists in the area you want to hunt. Montana has a hunters program where you sign in daily on some ranches. Check harvest records for areas you are considering hunter success rates etc. I have hunted 9 different western states some several times. My father is almost 70 now and has a hard time on some hunts but still does eastern Montana antelope with my daughter and I almost every year.

If you have any questions just PM me I may be able to head you in the right direction for info on your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.