First Proghorn hunt in 2020

Bill817

I'm looking at doing my first out of state hunt next year. I live in TX and would like to do a DIY hunt without flying. What state is a good state to start in? I'm not expecting to shoot a B&C buck, just put some meat in the freezer. I don't have all the supplies to do a true backpack hunt yet, though I am slowly collecting it. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Pretty darn hard to beat Wyoming! Lots of "goats" and lots of public land. And only, one day "hard drive" from Texas! Though, drawing a license may be a bit of a challenge....at least for the "better" areas.!

And, if your a "little lucky", you may get that BC Antelope.....whether you want it or not! :D

Also, no backpacking gear required, heck.....tents, campers, or motel rooms ...your choice. The "vast" majority of Antelope hunting is from the seat of your truck, riding two-track dirt roads! memtb

Last edited:
I am also going to try and do a DIY hunt this year. Hoping to get a tag in Wyoming if I can. I have been reading here for a while so I finally thought I'd join and post. Any info for the hunt would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at doing my first out of state hunt next year. I live in TX and would like to do a DIY hunt without flying. What state is a good state to start in? I'm not expecting to shoot a B&C buck, just put some meat in the freezer. I don't have all the supplies to do a true backpack hunt yet, though I am slowly collecting it. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
I did my first Wyoming trip in 2018 had a great time buddy of mine and myself both scored on antelope mine at 615 yards and although my body is not a long range shooter I set up the rifle for him and he connected at 783 yards
98445322-7557-4E74-AC89-EF4C3BCF9438.jpeg
50B89E4E-8C3C-4F1D-85DD-6DB6FABFA6B0.jpeg

Can't give you a great answer on that one. If you put plates on your ATV--UTV--SIDE BY SIDE.... You can leagally drive it on any road. Just like a truck. It's all about the money. Check with the BLM, NF, AND STATE to see if they will honor your ORV tags. You might have reciprocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts