Installing a New Bolt in a Rifle

rpatowers

I have a friend who lost the bolt to his chrome moly long action Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. We found a used bolt on the internet that comes from a stainless model 700 in 7mm RUM.

I believe the bolt face won't be a problem, since the RUM has a rim diameter of .539 and the Rem Mag has one of .532. Should be close enough, right?

I am concerned about headspacing and timing. Are Remington's tolerances good enough to allow switching of bolts without headspacing/timing issues? I know that this may not be a perfect situation, but is it good enough from a function and safety standpoint?

Thanks!

You need to check headspace. If it is to tight you can face off the lugs on the bolt to increase it. You should not have to change it much. If that is not an option you can change the thickness of your recoil lug. If you search remington lugs will vary a little. Timing should be close enough to work. This not the best solution but you can get buy. Best solution is to let a good smith fix it fot you. Hope ths helps. Dan

I have a friend who lost the bolt to his chrome moly long action Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. We found a used bolt on the internet that comes from a stainless model 700 in 7mm RUM.

I believe the bolt face won't be a problem, since the RUM has a rim diameter of .539 and the Rem Mag has one of .532. Should be close enough, right?

I am concerned about headspacing and timing. Are Remington's tolerances good enough to allow switching of bolts without headspacing/timing issues? I know that this may not be a perfect situation, but is it good enough from a function and safety standpoint?

Thanks!

No bolt change should go without checking the head space.

You can buy a go gauge and even a no go gauge and make sure for $30.00 each.

Then you can decide if it needs to go to a smith or not.

If you have to buy a used bolt, I would opt for a new one from PTG (But it would still have to
be head spaced).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.