Input on 300 yard groups

Can I suggest that try either a 3 or 5 shot group with ammo that has not been straightened in the Hornady tool. I may well be wrong but I can't see how straightening a round by holding the bullet tip at one end and the base of the case at the other and pushing on the neck doesn't in some way distort the brass in the neck.
I use one it works very well , and makes a difference. It only slightly moves the bullet, and does not distort the. You are getting the runout to a minimum. View Vince Vaughn's youtube video on it.

I love your post I have an customized .300 Whby mag and loaded up Berger 185's with 82.7gr H1000 and have had good results. I have a questions why does do you use and where did you get them? And I would agree with Sam Pace or magnum rifles will shoot 1 MOA and under but it's a hard row to hoe trying to get them under 1 MOA at all ranges but it can be done just have patience. I personally have been trying to load up some 210 Nos Accbound LR but I am stuck on what powder to use. Would love any suggestions. I go to around 70 to 100 rounds before cleaning I find the copper fouling equilibrium is great up to this point. And at this point I still don't clean the bore heavily.
I use Redding dies. A type S bushing die for the neck. As for powder, in the past I have great experience with h1000 shooting 210 and 215 Bergers. Currently, I'm testing N570, and I am very pleased with it.

I did try 210 accubonds some time ago, but I did not have luck with them.

I do use a Hornady concentricity tool to make the loaded ammo as concentric as possible.

How much off is your ammo as loaded ?! :eek:

I had a 300Wby sporter and got about the same 300m group sizes as you, I wished for more but the thin barrel and high recoil doesn't help.

I use Redding dies. A type S bushing die for the neck. As for powder, in the past I have great experience with h1000 shooting 210 and 215 Bergers. Currently, I'm testing N570, and I am very pleased with it.

I did try 210 accubonds some time ago, but I did not have luck with them.
Sir what was your load with the 210 and 215 how well did they do

With that big Weatherby freebore jump you might be better off trying the 210 VLD. The VLDs will sometimes love a big jump to the lands. I seen them shoot great at 100 or more off. Plus that target bullet might do some bad stuff on with shorter range shot on the critter you're trying to bag.

Shooting 3 time fired brass in a big case consuming so much powder without re-annealing is going to run the risk of have some really lousy neck tension consistency. That might be what caused that flier in the second group.

Like others have said don't clean so much and make sure to re-foul the barrel before shooting groups. Now, I have had rifles that didn't like to shoot after about 15 rounds without cleaning, it happens but its rare. What was the cleaning state of the rifle when it shot 0.3 MOA?

The second group must be a mile off the lands, but that may be where this rifle wants to shoot, hence my VLD suggestion.

With that big Weatherby freebore jump you might be better off trying the 210 VLD. The VLDs will sometimes love a big jump to the lands. I seen them shoot great at 100 or more off. Plus that target bullet might do some bad stuff on with shorter range shot on the critter you're trying to bag.

Shooting 3 time fired brass in a big case consuming so much powder without re-annealing is going to run the risk of have some really lousy neck tension consistency. That might be what caused that flier in the second group.

Like others have said don't clean so much and make sure to re-foul the barrel before shooting groups. Now, I have had rifles that didn't like to shoot after about 15 rounds without cleaning, it happens but its rare. What was the cleaning state of the rifle when it shot 0.3 MOA?

The second group must be a mile off the lands, but that may be where this rifle wants to shoot, hence my VLD suggestion.
I like this info if I could get any information on properly loading a big magnum it would be appreciated

Thank you for your input. The rifle had around 20 shots through the tube when I shot a .3MOA @ 100 yards. This was a 3 shot group while I was working up a charge weight. To be honest, I never really noticed a difference between dirty barrel and clean barrel in this particular rifle. What I am taking from this for sure is that I'm definitely going to add annealing into my regiment, before I go tinkering with anything else.

I did shoot 210s with success, but I opted for the 215 because of the higher b.c.

Sir what was your load with the 210 and 215 how well did they do

Well as for the 215 Hybrid I am using Vihtavuori N570. I started at max mag length COAL and started with Bergers recommended starting point of 81.5 working up 1gr at a time.

I did shoot a 210 VLD very accurately (sub moa @800 and around 1moa @1300) with an accumark. The powder was retumbo. I started at max mag length with 79gr and began to work up 1gr at a time.

If you hit pressure, back off 1 gr and test groups +/_ in 0.2gr increments. One thing I have noticed with slower powders in the big boomers is the nodes are around 1-1.5grs wide.

Check out Nathan Foster's "opinion" on free recoil shooting hunting rifles.

Benchrest quality guns in tactical stocks may only agg .6 moa on great days with good shooters. I'd spend some time/coin on a magnetospeed (super easy setup) and judge your reloads on consistent velocity/sd. If your load is showing single digit SDs over 7-10 rounds - you are doing it right. From there, I'd shoot little groups at 100 for your ego and spend the rest of your ammo on 1 moa targets.

Looks like she's shooting really well!

All depends on how anal you want to be :)

I tend to tell guys to familiarize themselves with the concepts of Confidence Interval and Confidence Level. There are on-line calculators for these two concepts, but the kicker is you typically need a solid SD and mean (which you won't have from 5 shots). Personally, I wouldn't run any calc's until I have ~40 - 50 rounds...but more is better.

If you want to only shoot a 5-shot group, I would use the median instead of the average, and completely ignore SD & ES 'reporting'.

To me, there is a direct analogy between group sizes and statistical measures. 3 shots groups will always be better than a 5 shot, and 5 shot better than 10 shot, etc. Pictures of 3 shot groups are only really good for posting pictures on-line. Similarly, 5 or 10 data points are only good for 'reporting' small SD or ES on the internet.

I'm not saying this to disparage anyone. I'm just saying that using bad numbers will cause you to chase errors in the wrong places down the line. For example, if you think you have a 0.25 MOA gun because of one 3-shot group, you may look in all the wrong places once you start seeing 0.75 or 1.0 MOA groups....maybe you just have a 1 MOA gun and don't know it.
5 round groups are adequate for getting an average, as multiple shots, especially if the barrel isn't cold ( which it won't be without at least 5 minutes rest between each shot). That's one point, but doing 50 rounds to get the data, not only depends on the conditions, such as lighting, temperature etc remaining the same, that's eating into your barrel life. Start with what's known to be a temperature stable powder, then verify it with 5 shot groups. Primer choice and bullet choice, using quality components, should be pretty much irrelevant, as its the powder choice that will be the main variable.

I agree about reading the wind. It's a job in itself to become consistent with. The current charge now of 88.4gr has been tested at various seating depths and over the course of ~35 Shots is maintaining a avg velocity of ~3026 with a SD ~8.6..
Excellent .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.