Initial Tubb's Final Finish Report

Re: Initial Tubb\'s Final Finish Report

I had a Sendero 300rum that shot a nice, tight 3.5inch group at 100 yards at best with handloads. It fouled worse than anything I have ever seen. I was not too sure about the Final Finnish deal, but I had nothing to lose. I shot the whole works through it and improved my group size to 2inches. Yes it did improve my accuracy by far, but it was far from acceptable. Now my gun is in the hands of Fifty for a Lilja makeover.

RHB, it seems that I have a knack for buying Sendero's with rough bores. My 25-06 was terrible but FF helped big time.

I want to make sure that I get this right. I have a 700VS in
22-250 that is unfired. Should I do a regular break-in session first or just start with the FF process. From what I
am reading it looks like I could go ahead and start with FF, but I want to be sure.

Nomo-S , just clean it very well making sure there is no copper afterward, and then start the F.F. Even brand new factory guns are loaded with copper from the test shots. you'll love the results with F.F. ---RHB---

[ QUOTE ]
I have found a great method for water cooling is to get a rag and some isopropyl alcohol and rub the barrel down. This will not warp wood stocks, will cool because well it's a liquid, will evaporate, thus not leaving a mess, will draw heat out of the barrel when it evaporates, and only costs 99 cents for a pretty large bottle that will last me 3-4 range sessions. I also use a pretty liberal ammount on the rag at each time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great idea. I've been using water on a cloth for years (on my guns with synthetic stocks - those with wood I'm just careful not to soak the stock).
[ QUOTE ]

I and a friend of mine have been using this for quite some time. I usually run a few patches of CR-10 down the barrel to at least attempt to cool from the inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessary. Metal is such an efficient conductor, it only takes seconds for the barrel to reach thermal equilibrium.

7mmRHB
For my 308 Rem (typical factory pipe) should I start with five #2's, then all the higher numbers (cleaning between # changes per the directions)?

I use Tubbs TMS for all barrel breakins. Even on customs.
Then I use a couple every once in a while.
Easier than JB

First cleaning after Tubbs.

3 shots w/Hornady 225gr interlocks most probably the most copper fouling bullet I shoot.

Wipeout, set over night, very little blue color, very little. 5 patches w/GM TEC and she was clean.

Next time I'll do the TEC first then Wipeout.

I am pleased with the Tubbs process. Unlike JB's the cleaning rod makes much fewer passes down the bore.

B.B. Unless the bbl is really rough and noticeably tough to clean, the #3s on up will work great. Doing a few #2s to start with like Roy did will make you feel confident about getting all the machine marks eliminated but in most cases the #2s are not needed.

Have fun----RHB---

Two things you can do to speed cooling are simple, aren't messy and don't cost a thing.

The 1st one is to simply remove the bolt and put the rifle in the rack muzzle up --let convection work for you.

The 2nd one is let your cleaning rod be a heat sink ---- set in the bore for a minute or two and take it out. You'll be suprised how warm it is. Even better if it's cool going in.

After many attempts to get accuracy and velocity I decided to finish the Final Finish process.

I cleaned the bore super well, GM TEC and Wipe out.

Loaded the last 5 of #4s and the last 5 of #5s. Put them ahead of 76gr of H4831. I also shot them off of my self-designed and fabricated prone shooting sticks.

Shot the #4s into the swamp. Shot the #5s into a target and except for a major flyer shots 1,3,4 & 5 went into .78 MOA. Couldn't do that with anyother 250 grain bullet that I've tried but at 338 RUM velocities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think I have me a pretty good 338-06 in RUM clothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ddubas - Dry patch after cleaning.

We'll see what difference the other 10 shots make?

I'm glad to hear it helped. I know when I learned of it I saved a TON of time.

First frost of the season. Temps in the 60s. Ziltch wind.
Who could not shoot in the backyard under conditions like that.

I had cleaned the bore and did the final10 shots of the Final Finish process (4-4s and 4-5s). 7MMrhb was haunting my sleep.....

Loaded 4 rounds of the best previous load before completing the Final Finish process.

I fired the first round as a fouler at the target. Shot the second shot. Hmmmm. Shot #3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Could feel an anxioity attack coming on. For stress relief I fired the 4th shot.......into the swamp...on purpose.

The only difference is that post completion of FF, ES was the same excluding the fouler and the group was smaller.

Here's details.

Pre full FF processcompletion:
332Pre-Last-10-FF-med.jpg

Post FF process completion and on one heck of a nice morning:
332Post-Last-10-FF-med.jpg

Sorry I messed up your sleep Roy!! My wife mentioned just the other day that I have been her worst nightmare for 35 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now that you finished the last 10 shots of F.F. I'll stop haunting you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ------7mmRHB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.