Inherited a model 63.

Cowboyblaster

I got my grandmother's Winchester Model 63 for Christmas. I don't realy intend to use it atal as it is almost 100 years old and somewhat of an eirloom but I recall my father telling me it only shoots 22 long cartridges. I was hoping that someone here with knowledge of these beautiful little rifles could educate me on the truth of this because I see guys on the old internet claiming they are shooting 22lr through them which does make sense to me as I see that the 22 long cartridge was phased out some 30 to 40 years before this model of rifle was even produced. Thanks in advance id appreciate any feedback.

According to The Winchester Book by George Madis your Model 63 Winchester should have engraved on the left side of the barrel either 22 Long.R Super Speed & Super X or 22 Long Rifle Super Speed & Super X.
All Model 63 rifles were designed for 22 LR ammo.
They were not designed for and they had extraction problems with 22 Short and 22 Long ammunition.

I got my grandmother's Winchester Model 63 for Christmas. I don't realy intend to use it atal as it is almost 100 years old and somewhat of an eirloom but I recall my father telling me it only shoots 22 long cartridges. I was hoping that someone here with knowledge of these beautiful little rifles could educate me on the truth of this because I see guys on the old internet claiming they are shooting 22lr through them which does make sense to me as I see that the 22 long cartridge was phased out some 30 to 40 years before this model of rifle was even produced. Thanks in advance id appreciate any feedback.
Check out the Winchester forums on Rimfirecentral.

I'd now like to thank you all who responded to this post you've helped me educate myself a little more and become more familiar with my grandmother's Winchester. I had assumed by looking at pictures that it was a model 63 when in fact it was stamped behind the rear sight on top of the barrel "Winchester Model 1903 22cal automatic ".which I now understand is what is now referred to as the 22long. And may very well be the only cartridge this rifle will shoot ( as my father had told me years ago). Im happy to know this and glad I didn't just start cramming random 22 cartridges into it. Thanks again for your enlightening conversion

Do NOT use 22 long ammo in a 1903. It should be chambered in 22 Winchester Automatic. You might be able to buy it from Aguila, as they made a special run of it. Ammo scarcity is the reason 1903's don't have the value of the 63's.

Do NOT use 22 long ammo in a 1903. It should be chambered in 22 Winchester Automatic. You might be able to buy it from Aguila, as they made a special run of it. Ammo scarcity is the reason 1903's don't have the value of the 63's.

Thanks for that ilnot be selling it but inerteresting I'd have thought it be worth more as fewer were produced

I don't think you could find any ammo for decades prior to Aguila making a run. Makes it difficult to enjoy the gun! I inherited a 63 and they are very well made guns, similar to the 1903's. Nice and light and handle well. Hope you enjoy yours!