Inaugural Hornady Precision Steel Challenge

That happens a lot. a lot of guys shoot berger bullets for comp. the A-tips have come up strong, but are pricey. And they haven't been proven to "outshoot" the berger. Don't get me wrong the a-tips are a good bullet, but not the be all and end all

I had quit Berger because they got too expensive and started shooting ELDM. But the last bulk box (2000) of ELDMs that I opened has different BC/flight characteristics, different bullet dimensions that has caused higher pressures and re-work on all my loads. While I paid more for Berger, I shot thousands from different boxes and lots over a bunch of years, and I just pointed and seated them to the same ogive to cartridge base and went to the range without problems. I'll finish this barrel with the eldms, but I've already ordered the Bergers to start shooting when I go to my next barrel on my match rifle. I'll finish up the eldms on other rifles. I wouldn't even entertain the A-tips unless the price came down to that of Bergers and the lot to lot consistency is there. But I think some of the A-tip selling point that they come off the line consecutively, is an admission of inconsistency.

No link, no article.:(

Competition description:

August 8-9, 2020 Cameo Shooting and Education Complex | Grand Junction, CO Sign-In/Sight-In - August 7, 0900 Link to Register: https://practiscore.com/hornady-precision-hunter-steel-challenge/register Match Director: Scott Satterlee

𝐇𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 August 8-9, 2020 | Cameo Shooting and Education Complex - Registration opens March 1, 2020, at 0900 MST. (https://practiscore.com/hornady-precision-hunter-steel-challenge/register) - Entry Fee: $250 - Match Director: Scott Satterlee 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐝𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐧-𝐈𝐧/𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭-𝐢𝐧 - Aug. 7, 0900 - 1800 𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲 - Aug. 8, Briefing 0745 - 0800, 0830 Range Goes Hot 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 - Aug. 9, Briefing 0745 - 0800, 0830 Range Goes Hot 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐃𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐇𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬... Our match will test the entire rifleman's skill set as an individual and hunter. Top loader friendly, a low round count (not a barrel burner), with a fun course of fire that gives plenty of time between stages, this match offers a new experience for competitors, sportsmen, and hunters from all walks of life. A clean run through our match course could be as few as just 65 shots. And, our course date offers hunters the perfect time, and perfect place, to both validate and ready their long range precision rifle hunting skills prior to the season's start. Our unique format means the general rules of the competition are super simple.

1. The only gear restrictions are rifle weight, and a minimum power factor. - Light Division, maximum 12lb rifle setup (rifle, optic, bipod, sling, unloaded magazine, etc.) - Heavy Division, maximum 16lbs rifle setup (rifle, optic, bipod, sling, unloaded magazine, etc.) - Minimum power factor is 380,000 (Bullet Grain Weight × Muzzle Velocity) examples: 143 gr × 2670 fps = 381,810 > minimum, approved. 105 gr × 2975 fps = 312,375 < minimum, NOT approved.

2. Competitors will be required to carry all equipment through the entire course.

3. The stages will be blind.

4. Competitors will be put on the clock with all gear in the carry position, pack on the their back, rifles slung and all gear stowed.

5. Binoculars may be carried by hand.

6. Competitors will be required to find, range and engage all targets

7. Targets will be shot from near to far or from left to right.

8. If there is only one target, and multiple positions, the order of the positions will be clearly identified.

9. Initial targets in any array will have a bright hunters orange 2'x2' placard within 10 feet.

10. Targets will be 12" diamonds, hung from a t-post.

11. Expect distances ranging from 300 to 1000 yards.

12. Each shooting area will be large enough to allow the appropriate shooting positions for the distance of the target.

13. Expect realistic use of terrain, i.e. trees, rocks, and prone shots.

14. Targets will not be hidden or too difficult to find, but some observation skills will be required.

15. Competitors will have 4 minute of clock time.

16. Scoring will be 2-1 dead target scoring - 1st round hit is worth 2 points - 2nd round hit is worth 1 point - Once the target is hit, the target is neutralized. Example: First impact gets 2 points, shooter then moves to the next target or position. If the competitor missed their first shot, a second attempt is given. If the shooter connects on the second attempt, 1 point is awarded, and the shooter then moves to the next target or position. If the competitor misses both the 1st and 2nd shot, they move to the next target or position, and no points are awarded for that target. - ONLY 2 ATTEMPTS PER TARGET.

We are extremely excited to offer a new venue and new format, designed to engage hunters and test marksmanship, in a long range competitive setting, that all can participate and enjoy. If you attended the 2019 Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge, you may be familiar with the similar scoring method and Hunting Division that was offered for that match, and we're simply taking that a step further and making it all hunting with another even lighter weight class.

https://www.eventyas.com/US/Twin-Bridges/103683827644479/Hornady-Precision-Hunter-Steel-Challenge

Posted on August 19, 2020 by Capstone
Berger Shooters Win Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge

Mesa, AZ – Competitors loading Berger Bullets won both the Light and Heavy divisions and claimed the top 3 places overall during the inaugural Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge.
Congratulations to Rusty Ulmer for winning the Light Division with Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain VLD's in his Creedmoor chambered Impact action with Proof carbon barrel.
Brian Black took top honors in the Hunter Heavy Division and 1st place overall for the match. Brian shot Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain Hybrid's loaded in a 6.5×47 Lapua. Brian used a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action with Benchmark barrel and XLR Element chassis. Brian stated, "I was short on time to prepare for the match, so I selected a load that has always performed with incredible precision using Berger 140 Grain Hybrids." Congratulations Brian!
Top competitor results were as follows:
1st Place Light Division – Rusty Ulmer, Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain VLDs
1st Place Hvy Division – Brian Black, Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain Hybrids
1st Place Overall – Brian Black, Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain Hybrids
2nd Place Overall – Serge Ducourneau, Berger 6.5mm 144 Grain LRHTs
3rd Place Overall – Eric Andersen, Berger 6.5mm 140 Grain Hybrids
The inaugural Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge was held August 8-9th at the Cameo Shooting and Education Complex in De Beque, Colorado. The match tested each of the 130+ competitor's entire skillset as a hunter with various gear weight restrictions, a minimum power factor (Bullet Grain Weight x Muzzle Velocity), blind stages, etc., all while on the clock carrying their gear through the entire course and engaging targets from 300 to 1,000 yards.

https://www.capstonepg.com/berger-shooters-win-hornady-precision-hunter-steel-challenge/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.