In the Ear? Really???

still pondering. that is all.

For some reason, there seems to be a preponderance of pondering on this thread. Yet I still don't have answers to my questions so can only conclude that djones pondering is covering matters of weighty substance.

For example, if contemplating his navel, he is probably wondering how it turned from an "Innie" in his youth to an "Outie" of the present day. I can only tell him that it occurred over time. Let me reassure him that it did not suddenly inflate overnight like a child's balloon being filled with helium and I doubt that what it IS filled with, resembles Helium in any aspect, except for small pockets of methane gas, which I am sure he expels in a particularly odiferous, loud and rude manner and at most probably the most inopportune times. Say in Church, during a break in the sermon!

On the other hand he might be contemplating someone else's Navel and if she is under 50 might be considering a "Navel Engagement". Then again, he might just be curious if his "outie" will fit in her "innie"! Remember we are only talking about Belly Buttons here! Don't want to give folks the wrong impression...................:D

Speaking of Church, a number of years ago, my wife took me to a church during some Holiday, don't remember what it was, and we were seated near the front. During the sermon, the father talked out against Birth Control and the Pill and evidently he was watching me during the sermon. After the service, he was greeting people as they left the church and when we got close, he said something like "I take it you disagreed with the sermon". As I recall, my reply was something equivalent to "Well, the way I see it, is if you're not playing in the game, you shouldn't be allowed to make the rules." My wife never took me back with her.

I feel the same way about Politicians!,,,,(That was just a subtle warning to djones in case he's thinking about becoming a politician)

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Hey djones, you going to spend 3 weeks trying to answer my questions?....

I got an interesting PM so will be back later to answer it, and will post it on the thread, but have been really busy the last couple of days. Going to take some time to answer it, since it involves personal, ancient history, but will post it anyway.

Got the formal contract signed, but they are still trying to interest me in running the project personally, which I'm trying to evade. Think I have gotten them interested in my conducting the formal oversight, rather than the active supervision, which I have very good Superintendents and Project Managers to handle.

Got a email from my cousin Harry. He ordered the rifle and scope as I specified, but have also talked to my brother and told him it's not very likely that I'm going to be able to leave here this year, with my wife's medical program. I guess either the Rifle is a special order OR where he ordered it from didn't normally carry them since he said 3 week delivery. My brother said he would take him down to the range to break it in and zero since he was going to be up in Kansas City with my other Brother for about 2 weeks for some kind of a Golf tournament I told him what I was trying to do and he just laughed, knowing both me and Harold. Told me he'd work on it.

Will be back later, and maybe djones will have come up with some answers.

Packrat

Well, here it is time for djones weekly posting again, and I haven't seen anything yet. OK djones, your turn at bat! No fouls this time.

Don't know why the sports analogy, since I detest professional sports since even when they lose, the losers still get paid their Big Bucks. To my way of thinking, everyone hires in at the same pay, and when they win they get bonuses based on the position played. When they lose, they get their base pay and that's it!

Saw it happen that way once and never saw games played so hard in my life!

Present Pro sports is sort of like a shooting competition where someone that didn't even hit the target, still get the same prize as someone that shot a perfect 1000.

Will be back later with the PM and the answer, got a little busy last night!

Packrat

Never thought I would be posting this but we've has so much rain that the hogs are not moving much, they don't have to, and the roads and fields are so soggy that you can not get around to look for them. I pulled off the hiway this morning and almost got stuck on a grassed over ditch in the sand. We have had over 15 inches in less than two months. We normally get around 20 inches a year. I've never seen my pastures this green and lush. The red ants are packing scuba gear! Nothing left to do but clean my rifle and I hate a clean rifle. A clean rifle is a lazy rifle. I need a new weapon to fiddle with...........

djones and I may be fighting over who shoots first.........

I need a new weapon to fiddle with...........djones and I may be fighting over who shoots first.........

Not right that two such good friends should be arguing over who gets to shoot first!

As a compromise, can I suggest a duel?.......Your best Dress clothes and bleach filled water balloons at 40 feet, with goggles to protect the eyes. No one gets really hurt, but there is no doubt about who got hit!

I kind of figured you were getting a little more precipitation (Look it up....LOL) than normal since I've been kind of keeping a eye on the weather over the entire SW For a while. Really good for the pastures and you should get real good prices for that beef if you get rid of it before the August dry spells come along. Would think you're probably on a 3 years cycle, but then again so many things have changed over the years, there may be a new way of doing it.

As far as the ant's don't worry about them, I have it from a good source that the Gubermint has them on a flood insurance program. Maybe, with luck, they'll move them into a relocation camp in Nebraska or something.

As far as a new Rifle, would suggest a LaRue 7.62.........I've heard it's pretty good and give me a little while and I'll give you a critique of it.....:D

Packrat

Packrat.gif

We've got two LaRue's. Extremely nice rifles. I want something different. Been thinking and researching a 6.5 Grendel. Grandkids would like it I'm sure. Double Naught has helped me a lot. Thank you sir. And say hello to Gilbert.

We've got two LaRue's. Extremely nice rifles. I want something different. Been thinking and researching a 6.5 Grendel. Grandkids would like it I'm sure. Double Naught has helped me a lot. Thank you sir. And say hello to Gilbert.

Coy,
Have to agree. While I dislike the .223 from personal experience, the 6.5 Grendel is a nice round and have to agree with some people saying that it's the round the Military should be using.

Will still stick with my 7.62, since I've been shooting it so long, I'm almost a plank holder, but the 6.5 would be one of my next choices. Besides not enough recoil to discourage cousin Harry so I can end up with a LaRue......:D

Packrat

Spent the afternoon on a Rattlesnake hunt. Neighbor across the street's dog got bitten on the face, by a BIG rattler and we went through his entire yard looking for it this afternoon. Vet said the punctures were 1 1/8" apart which said to him that the Rattler was about 6', which is big for Arizona..

Went through the yard with lawn rakes lifting up and moving around bushes, rolling over 16" diameter rocks, etc and nary a trace. Looked in, under and around.....Nothing.

Molly Rattlesnake Bite.jpg

Dogs face swelled up per the picture, but seemed to only make her sick. 2nd time this dog has been bitten and vet joked that she is probably developing a immunity to rattlesnake bite.

Other than that, dull day!

Packrat

Eliason1963 said:
Pack, How in the heck do you guys afford the fancy toys you all seem to have? I'm 54 years old and am not sure that I'm even going to be able to retire, let alone buy some of the good stuff you guys show on the forum. Larry

Larry,
I don't know about the others, but I don't have as many of the fancy toys that the other guys have. When I was working, I was paid pretty decently, but When I was your age, my business partner absconded with all the funds from our commercial concrete company and ran off with some sweet young thing he met somewhere. I had to sell the house and empty my savings to pay off everyone and then borrowed a couple of grand from my dad, and took a job with another company. From the start, I maximized my 401k, didn't buy anything on credit and when transferred to Arizona I found out about Tax Lien Certificates that pay me 1.334% per MONTH interest, or 16% per year. This turned out to be a significant portion of my retirement income. Since I can't affect any of the other sources of income for you, will tell you about these.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, but will explain basically how Tax Lien Certificates work and the rest is up to you and anyone else that happens to live where they sell them. Hopefully this helps someone. When I first heard of them I went on to Ebay and bought a book called "The 16% Solution" by J.S. Moskowitz. After getting my interest peaked, I went down to the County and took one of the older ladies, (and her husband,) that dealt with Tax Liens out to lunch and picked her brain. Best $40.00 I ever spent. Her unfortunate tendency to want to play footsies under the table where her Husband couldn't see, I just attributed to my Animal Magnetism.

There are basically two types of states. Tax lien states and Tax Auction states. In tax auction states, if you do not pay your property taxes, after a specified period of time, the property is sold to pay the back taxes. In Tax lien states, if you do not pay your property taxes, they asses a interest penalty for a specified period of years and allow investors to buy the liens by paying the owed taxes. When eventually (Usually) the back taxes are paid, the taxing authority assigns that interest penalty to the people that loaned them the money by buying the lien. Since the taxing authority really needs the money to keep operating, the interest penalties are fairly stiff.

For example in Arizona, the Counties receive the property taxes. Unpaid property taxes are penalized at 1.334% (Roughly) per month or any portion of that month, even 1 day, or 16% per year. By buying a Tax lien certificate, you will NOT receive any payments until the property tax is paid by the delinquent payor or until a specified number of years have passed and you can claim title to the property. Most (99%) are paid off within 2 - 2 1/2 years. So don't spend your Grocery money on them.

Here in Pima County for instance, you will find that the banks closely monitor the Tax Lien sale in February and the banks themselves buy an estimated $16 Million per year in tax liens, not only to generate the extra interest, but to also protect their 1st position mortgage interest in that property, which can be a total loss of the money loaned as a Mortgage, if set aside by a tax foreclosure.

Since the laws in each state vary significantly, you need to research where you live or where you plan on investing. As an example:
• 12% in Alabama (40-10-122),
• 16% in Arizona (42-18053),
• 18% in Florida (Sec. 197.172),
• 20% in Georgia (Sec. 48-4-42),
• 24% in Iowa (Sec. 447.1),
• 36% in Illinois (Sec. 21-355),
• 50% in Texas (Sec. 34.21 ).
As I recall there are 39 states issuing Tax Liens, but could be wrong. I know lots of them are now changing to tax Liens because of the hassle of Tax Foreclosure Auctions, plus they get the money RIGHT NOW to continue operations.

In addition, you do not necessarily have to attend the Tax Lien Auction where some bidders, on a particular piece of property, will under bid the going rate. I have seen Banks willing to settle for 6% interest on property where they hold the mortgage and are fairly certain that the property is going into foreclosure. However, once you have established yourself with the local tax authority, you can take whatever profits above the back taxes paid and the principal plus interest can be rolled right back into another tax lien the same day, either in person or even by mail, year round! This is what we did when we got here from Washington and have continued to the present day. States where you can buy Tax Liens year round are listed below.

Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Wyoming. There may be others by now!

I once took a flyer on 800 raw mountain land acres on a river in WY, but after 2 years and 10 months, they eventually paid the back taxes.....Darn!

Just as an example, the following calculations shows how fast the money compounds when rolled back in year after year. This is just an example:
$10,000 x 16% x 5 years =$21,003.42
$10,000 x 16% x 10 years =$44,114.35
$10,000 x 16% x 15 years = $92,655.21
$10,000 x 16% x 20 years =$194,607.59

And this is just starting with $10,000. Larger amounts compound proportionately.
You have to realize, this is under optimum conditions and constitutes a rollover of Principal and interest into a new certificate each time a certificate gets paid out. Also be aware that Tax Liens can start at $200 or less so you don't have to have $10,000 to start with.

There are several organizations out there that can tell you about the various state requirements. One of the best I've found is: Tax Lien University - Learn How To Profit Buying Tax Lien Certificates They offer a course in either download or on CD and I prefer the CD, although it is more expensive, because I've already had one computer crash with non-recoverable data on the hard drive.

My brothers and a couple of cousins want me to invest their money and are willing to settle for 12% interest on it which would give me a 4% return on all their money, but not sure if I want to be involved or have to commit the time to it. It takes me almost 3 weeks a year to keep just mine under control. Of course, with $1 million invested, that would pay me $40,000 a year extra. Remember with all Real Estate, the secret is Location, Location, Location!

So far, my partnership with the county doing all the work has been totally profitable.

Good luck, and hope this helps someone!

Packrat

BTW, In reference to the above, my 401k rollover IRA is also set up to balance what I am required to take out by law as Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's) which are required by the Feds when you hit 70 1/2 years of age.

Since I'm an O.F., I have to take a certain amount out and after 2 1/2 years of retirement, my IRA balance is essentially the same as when I retired, However, to invest in Tax Liens it must be done in a certain manner and returned to the IRA in a certain manner. There are also Fee's from the IRA administrator to account for by doing this. If you have interest in this, check with your Lawyer, Accountant and IRA administrator and make sure you do it right!

Also note that interest on Tax Liens is taxable. I usually just absorb them on my tax return.

In fact don't do it at all unless you have someone helping you at first!

Packrat

Well, guess that djones has hit the metallic age. Silver in his hair, gold in his teeth and Lead in his ***. Still no posts!

He used to brag about how HIS animal magnetism used to affect the ladies, but lately I think his polarity has reversed! He'd better be careful he doesn't get shorts in his shorts!

With all the rain up his way, I've heard that he is building an Ark. Don't know if he knows something we don't, but curious to see if he loads two feral hogs along with the other animals. He'd better be careful, I've heard that the rabbits breed like hogs! Oh well, will help with a change of diet now and then. I think the deciding factor him was a BIG booming voice asking "How long can you tread water, djones?"...........:D

Does anyone know just how big a cubit is anyway?

Packrat

Packrat.gif

The common cubit which was about 17.5 inches long, while the less common long cubit was about 20.4 inches long.

Using the 17.5 inch cubit, the Ark would have been around 437.5 ft long, 72.9 feet wide, and 43.8 feet high. It had a surface area of 95700 sq ft, a cubic volume of 1,396,000 cu ft, and an approximate displacement of 20,000 tons.

Source(s): The Genesis Flood by Whitcomb & Morris pg 10

That would hold a lot of hogs!!!

Coy, good figuring, however, according to my calculations, it would only hold 1799 elephants. Going on the assumption that the total volume of the typical elephant multiplied by 2/3 to compensate for the air spaces around the legs. I don't know if there are that many left, but with his failing eyesight, would be easier for him to hit if hunting.

However, to be fair, I don't think djones should take full grown animals, which would would allow for a substantial number of additional animals to be taken so as not to dilute the genetic pool and requiring a lot less fodder. I can see where he's going to be busy, just cleaning out the stalls......:)

With that reverse polarity, when he gets tired, would that mean he was "Ark'ed" out?

Source: The Packrat book of knowledge..........Available for download at only $15 or available on CD for $196 Plus S&H.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to the quarter mile stalk down the pivot to the hog community at the other end. It was pretty cold and very windy, but there was no other way, and no way around the cows either. When they spooked the hogs took off. The big one ran out of site quickly, but the little ones weren't in as big a hurry.

dj1b_zps8934e8f1.jpg

I double timed it back to the truck and raced to the north end hoping for a shot at anything. Surprisingly, the big hog was standing there larger than life. I had to decide quickly if I should stalk up on foot or cut him off in the truck. We looked at each other and both floored it at the same time. He was fast, but no match for the chevy. When I poured the conoco to her, 225 ponies reared up from under the hood and the race was on (ok, maybe 175 nags).

dj2b_zpsd263489e.jpg

There was no time to swing the truck into shooting position. I slammed on the brakes, hung out the window and took a shot… miss! I had one more chance before the hog ran past me and through the fence to safety. Now I was hanging out so far the rifle was sideways. A little less lead and – BAM… the toad was knocked off his feet.

dj3b_zps3d9d8226.jpg

When I was satisfied he was done, I checked around to see if any wemmin and chirren were hanging around. Yea, I'm that guy. No such luck but no matter, the hoss was worth all the trouble. Turns out the first shot hit him after all, nicked him across the snout!

Sorry guys and girls, but this is a HOG thread and we haven't had a picture of a Hog for the last 12 pages! Had to go back to the start of this post get get some pictures before we lost our license to keep the thread open. Don't know who the guy in the picture is, probably some North Texas Itinerant laborer with beady eyes.

Also haven't had a post from our founding .......Don't want to say father, but guess patron will do, djones in over a week. Supposedly they've had so much rain that he is building a boat of sorts. Hope he does a better job than he did on the roof of that chicken coop he modified to live in. A good roof will keep you from getting wet, but a good boat will keep you from treading water!....Maybe he's giving up hunting and thinking about going fishing?

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.