In the Ear? Really???

OK a serious technical question for all you real experts out there!

I have a SA National Match M1A that is my primary shooting iron. It has a Archangel Stock , Harris Bipod and a Zeiss 6-24x50 Scope on it and is a great rifle for bench, prone or long range shooting. BUT the darn thing weighs in with a 20 round mag at about 15 1/2 lbs. Since I'm now only hunting out to about 150 yds, don't need the super accurate stuff anymore.

Got me a new, surplus M-14 Fiberglass stock which weighs about half of what the Archangel or Walnut stock weighs and a new reflex sighting system to reduce weight when being carried in the field.

Was talking to guys at the range and they asked me about the rifle because I've shot there a lot, told them I'm going to put the M1A on the glass stock and someone said that the Fiberglass stocks flexed and needed to be reinforced with a Kevlar strip epoxied down inside the front end of the stock. Since I had never heard of this, wondering if anyone else had! I have 2" Kevlar cloth and the epoxy, but don't want to do it unless it is needed. Also do I put it over the Sadlak Industries new front rail/sling swivel system? The stock doesn't seem flexible, but ?????

I only hunt hogs with it so so don't really need the long range accuracy I did before.

Any thoughts?

41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

Pack,

I've not heard anything about the Kevlar reinforcement on the M14.

At the distance you will be shooting, I can't see the need for reinforcement. If you want to shoot 600 yards matches, I might look into it.

Scmblr, heck can't hardly see 600 yards clear anymore even with with a 6-24 power scope and cataract surgery! Am right handed, but left eye dominant so am better with a pistol than a rifle anymore. My last real handgun competition, except the other day with my lady friend, shot a 923 out of a possible 1000, and still came in 6th. Rifle?...Going downhill fast and trying to learn to shoot left handed. Pretty soon will be throwing rocks! At 150 yds, am still OK, but pretty soon am going to have to do what djones does, shoot them in the pen from 15 feet and lie about the distance!

How about anyone else? comments, suggestions,

Well, except for scrmblr, didn't get any comments pro or con on the stock, so for now am not going to install the Kevlar reinforcing. Will just have to try it and see. Maybe later someone in the know will read the thread and have an answer.

OK, so where is djones? his last post was last Saturday and he was going to a friends (?) house to shoot daytime hogs. You suppose the Hogs got him? By now he could just be little piles of hog sh..... stuff scattered throughout the Texas countryside helping fertilize the fields. Would be fairly equitable considering the number of hogs he has converted to piles of rotting meat! Djones, if you are capable of answering, post something! Other than that, they may have been harvesting Milo or something and he got carried away by temptation! Not really sure which of the above alternatives is preferable. So, if you are out wandering around in Texas and come across a BIG pile of Hog s.......stuff, look around and when you find his Rifle, let me know and I'll send you my address where to ship it!

I hope all of you that have significant others remembered that today is Valentines day. The others of you, consider yourself lucky not to have to keep a separate calendar with all important (to the significant other) dates on it! Fastest way I know to get cut off from one of the primary benefits of a relationship, is to forget an important, to them, date!

Well, got to go play cupid or whatever it is you are supposed to play, today!

Have you ever noticed the number of people that do not have a sense of humor? for example, my doctor has absolutely none! If you try kidding with him he just gives you a blank look and ignores anything you say! The other day, in for my yearly physical, he asked me if I had any guns in the house. Well first of all, it isn't any of his business, and so I said "Why, are you afraid I'll shoot myself?".....He murmured something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like " we could only be so lucky". See, no sense of humor!

I also have an Aunt by marriage, that has None at all! For example last time they came to visit, hmmm guess it was about 5 years ago, I had one of those full head Halloween masks that one of the grand kids had left here awhile back, you know the kind that djones wears when he takes pictures of him and the hogs he supposedly shot! Well anyway, just as a fun surprise, I took the mask and put a little rubber cement around the eyes on the inside of the mask, Blew up a white balloon inside the mask and then pressed the eyes on the mask down on the balloon. Then I took it and put it in the toilet, face up, in the guest bathroom and put the toilet seat down.

About 40 or so minutes later there came a shriek so loud I thought an F-18 had buzzed the house at about 10 feet. While everyone else was running to the Guest Bedroom, I just kind of casually sauntered my way in there, chuckling all the way! When the EMT's left about an hour and a half later and she had been showered and changed clothes, my uncle remembered a family emergency they had apparently forgot, so they packed and left. Seems like every time we plan a trip and are going to be in their area, they have plans and are away from the house or something.

When I talked to my uncle a couple of weeks ago, he told me that she is still taking his .357 to the range weekly and shooting at my picture. Now I can understand that kind of kidding so don't take it seriously.

May be back later, trying to remember what I promised my lady we were going to do for Valentines day!

Have you ever noticed the number of people that do not have a sense of humor? for example, my doctor has absolutely none! If you try kidding with him he just gives you a blank look and ignores anything you say! The other day, in for my yearly physical, he asked me if I had any guns in the house. Well first of all, it isn't any of his business, and so I said "Why, are you afraid I'll shoot myself?".....He murmured something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like " we could only be so lucky". See, no sense of humor!

The reason the dr asked that is because your visit is being paid by medicare. The government has a whole list of questions for you. Guns, bike helmits, grab bars in the showers. It is your file with them. Scary isn't it?

if i said im going to shoot deytime hogs, im going to shoot deytime hogs. barely deylite, but deylite nun the less.

for 5 bucks i'll teach you how to post tall pix without them flipping sidewayz.

gfy,
dj

0kiIry8k0CjaCuBkB-B5-Bzgph92j422MBqBD5adJZsTia6dd8qI5fFhqoqDPtj0ZnLK8uwMwZ2vJwOKhKhKErt-0HgFqSSkkNdrtNUmt9N55v8NSBw0bYWF9vU9ePCzmoFAWOpAKWom5vAI1ZHunrOPaZV4Pl19kwO5-IAyNo7oO8EVeL2vHHtpqjammvfdExWt3V73gq7YIm7Myo9gURnuo5kHBGSilm-XO1PP9ZTpg78Jbl04BxxTqgyEKaMrx_cNcZ0-H9PU4HwlOPG3X4Vm_xiIPf2_l-jbFG-8TXvX7BPKDTlTuU4s-iWVIm-LpMKEIkhEIciueB_CUyZIKEGNuFy-zCN0at1jwaSX1tQLgwphnnKnMfzBgx5CamMQJKFWcGAVZIryj8E6tyfo2rp7mXzEvWbkGQGKRXh9AcUNXhqwMC136czHlt0hqN39aFmv1eUf-w85byIBr65aWOQHm5oiF0MNI82Btj2VTMcFuxUh75kdC4OwN2g8xqNI1eRGImTNS0QelTKfLT8qgUQc0dRtjHH4ij_qpxuPq_HNIcdwex9dyAoD1xCyE-3NTxNF5JW_ZVxLnn-DL9e52fD7uObiULh0zX0WQFHVAcTVJtJdeMG7RED2CJF_G076-CjLRCKk3zVhuj9lc1ypbAnoESTxfTY=w631-h841-no

The reason the dr asked that is because your visit is being paid by medicare. The government has a whole list of questions for you. Guns, bike helmits, grab bars in the showers. It is your file with them. Scary isn't it?

Since I keep my safes in the garage, I'd answer "no."

I actually changed the subject back to my overall health and ignored several other questions that I didn't deem to be any of his, or their, business! Darn govt is getting worse than LRH when it comes to "Big Brother" is watching, but I feel LRH is justified since it is their site, where the Govt isn't!

Doggone it, djones had to show up and I had people looking all over Texas for a big pile of hog s.....stuff so I could add his rifle to my collection! Some nice sized spotties there, however, looks like djones is going to need to upgrade his glasses since most of the wounds are towards the backside of the hogs! He can't tell one end from another anymore! May have to change the name of the thread to "In the butt, Really!" Those pigs look like they are related. You releasing hogs from your pens again just to have something to shoot?

In the Video, what happened to the one hog? When it got hit, it looked like it fell off a cliff or something! Another one looked like it was rolling downhill. Since there aren't any hills in Texas, wondered what happened! I'll bet you stole my idea of fluting the bullets and the torque was so high, it rolled them back towards you! Caught you in the act, didn't I djones!

Interpretation of the law is dependent on the depth of your wallet!

Last edited:
if i said im going to shoot deytime hogs, im going to shoot deytime hogs. barely deylite, but deylite nun the less.

for 5 bucks i'll teach you how to post tall pix without them flipping sidewayz.

djones,
Just deduct the $5 from the last check you bounced on me! That check bounced so high it entered LEO (Low Earth Orbit)! One of these days when the Govt. get around to policing up all the stuff floating around up there, including several UFO's if you believe in that stuff, they'll find that check, floating peaceably along. If anyone ever tries to cash it, it will probably end up back up there!

I'm cheap when it comes to ammo for shooting hogs, and I've never had a single hog complain, but you're so cheap at everything else, your wallet has padlocks! Anybody that would swindle a poor old retiree, like me, out of a lousy $10.00 for shooting lessons and another $7.95 for a Packrat hat has to be the prototype for the original Scrooge! And the way you are shooting them in the Ham's shows you should have taken the 2nd lesson!

Didn't you parade that hog on the left at the county fair last year? Seems to me like you got a purple ribbon or something just for showing up! Oh, I forgot,hat's just the way your generation does things. Awards to everyone for participating.

got to go, BBL

Interpretation of the law is dependent on the depth of your wallet!

BTW, that first shot in the video doesn't look like a hog. Long skinny tail and standing on its back feet eating. don't know what it is, but it's not a hog!

I've watched this clip about another 15 times. I think you may have hijacked someones Australian Video or shot someones pet Kangaroo! Sure not a hog! What kind of a scam you trying to pull now djones?

I have nothing against politicians, just think everybody ought to own one!

Last edited:
OK, enough! I've waited and waited so I guess he isn't going to answer my allegations above. Not only that but a friend of mine sent me a picture of what happened to the hat that djones bilked me out of. I'll show you the hat first, that he asked me to personalize for him:
#1 FAN.jpg

And then wrote a rubber check to cover the $7.95.

Now, apparently when he misses a shot at a hog, he takes off my hat and jumps and jump down on it until it doesn't bear any resemblance to what it was. After several months, and him only posting 3 pictures, this is what my hat looks like now:
Djones hunting area.png

It is apparently somewhere in the bottom of the hole! Sooo, by inference, he must be missing a lot of shots. But then again, if the pictures above, that he posted on Friday, are any indication, he keeps shooting them in the butt, rather than the ear, so they run off! By his own rules, "no picture, it didn't happen", and he can't get a picture of a hog that has left the scene! AND those two hogs above sure resemble a couple he was raising for the fair! Getting desperate, I guess. Guess I could tell him the head is at the end in the direction they are walking, but why?

Ball is in your court, djones!

OMG, djones and Coy Franks, team Oink group, have snucked into Tucson while we were sitting here waiting for a reply or at least a few more pictures. Their motto is Breakfast. Lunch. Bacon! Apparently in Arizona, there are 3 of them. Totally insidious djones!

oink-coffee-mug.jpg

It's the old Magicians trick of get you to watching one hand while the other does the sleight of hand. He has us watching here while they are moving into and contaminating the communities where we live! Now I know how he is paying for those fancy guns and other toys and how he is getting rid of the hogs he shoots!

I tried to get a picture of the outside but got run off by 3 huge burly bruisers that have a family resemblance to the Hog on the right hand side in djones picture on Friday!

Got to think this one out! BBL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.