In case you thought there weren't any when you were out this year

ss7mm

In case you thought there weren\'t any when you were out this year

In case you thought there weren't any animals left this year when you were looking for them during hunting season, these are still around.

Yesterday I went up looking for coyotes but didn't have any luck. Since the weather has been bad and the elk and sheep are usually down I stopped by where they feed them to see what was left over. These pics show just part of what was at one elk and one sheep feeding area.

This is typical of what was at the one elk area. This shot is of about 1/4 of the elk at one feeding station. Branched antler bulls everywhere you look.
2005Elkfeedingsmall002.jpg

This shows one of the cows with a tracking collar.
2005Elkfeedingsmall003.jpg

This guy is a 7x7 with top ends kind of like a Red Stag.
2005Elkfeedingsmall004.jpg

This guy coming up through the middle is a nice 6x6 but he has a couple of 3"-4" stickers on his left beam so technically he's a 8x6.
2005Elkfeedingsmall005.jpg

This is one of the bighorn rams that was down.
2005smallBighorn003.jpg

This is of another ram with one behind him.
2005smallBighorn002.jpg

This guy was really working over the chow.
2005smallBighorn001.jpg

No excuses now for next year. All I have to do is beat the lottery odds and draw a couple of tags and then I can go looking for one of these guys next year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: In case you thought there weren\'t any when you were out this year

Those are some super awesome pics ss7mm! Thanks for sharing them.

All these were taken in Washington?

Are the feeding depots common up there?

I suppose those are Rocky mountain sheep or are they Californias do you know?

gg:

These pics were taken about 30 minute drive west of where I live at the base of the Cascade range west of Naches, Washington. When the weather is bad and the snow level is down, you can go up just about any day of the week and see big bulls by the dozen and sheep by the dozen. There is an area very close to here where it is easy to glass bighorn sheep year round. Most of the time I don't take pictures because the elk and sheep are so common and numerous this time of year. I just thought someone might find them interesting.

There are a lot of designated feeding areas throughout the state and mainly the game dept. says they feed the animals, especially the elk, to keep them from coming down too far and damaging farmers crops and land. I like to think it helps the animals survival rate through bad winters.

It's my understanding that the sheep are Californias. But I believe they released some Rocky Mountain sheep somewhere down in the Blue Mountain area.

Very good of your state to help these animals out during hard times.

I haven't been to Washington in a long time but I need to make the trip again very soon. Beautiful areas and great people up yonder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ss,

What's the frequency of that collar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ID and WY do the same thing. Tex Creek in ID, Alpine and Jackson in WY are the hot spots.

Roy:

I think this is the collar you would want the frequency of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2005Elkfeedingsmall001.jpg

Yes , definitely interested , great pix !! How far away were you and what camera were you using ?

I know what you mean about wondering if there are any out there when you are hunting and not seeing zip. This year I used a trail cam quite a bit and the results were eyeopening . Areas that I had been watching day after day and only seeing does would have many different bucks after dark . Knowing that helped me stay with it know3ing sooner or later one would mess up and show before dark( and one did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Thanks again for the pix , post more I am in withdrawal since our modern gun seasons last day was Dec. 28.
Jim

Jimm:

The elk were about 100 yards away and the sheep were about 40-50 yards.

The camera is a Sony DSC-F717 digital with Zeiss Vario-Sonnar lens. The pics would have turned out better but is was snowing and mixed in with the snow was rain. A lot of the shots, because of the cold, showed enough of the elk's breath to make some shots look "foggy".

If we get some clearer weather I'll try to get some better shots.

You can't get any better shots than you posted in my opinion . Th snow/rain/fog were the artistic elements that made them even more appealing to hunters aaannnd , I'm not just saying that cause I also want the freq's of the above mentioned animals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really , they are great pix , it'll be hard to top them ( but you will try ,won't you ? )

Jim Brown

For jimm only

jimms sleepless nights begin as the LRH mind devises new ways to find that LR trophy. Another sophisticated device is added to the LRH kit along with the ACI, xbal, palm pilot, LRF, gps and that ever intriguing thermos bottle (how do it know to keep it warm or keep it cold? Just how do that thermos know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

The secret: Find the transmitter and find the trophy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stage one of jimm's desert ram hunt 2006
332biotrack3.jpg

Here's where ya learn all about gettin' 'er done.
Remember find the transmitter, find the trophy
332thrdfs.gif

Meanwhile back at camp all the guys are
33236_11_6_1_.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Roy:

I think this is the collar you would want the frequency of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, I'd be happy if I actually got an elk - any elk!. It's pretty sad when I live in elk country and can't find one to shoot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Re: For jimm only

Roy,

I've decided ...........you gotta mean streak in you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Good part is at least there is a humourous bone in there too !

Now , you knooow that I want them falling down laughing guys , So fork em over! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sfunny you should pick desert bighorns , cause thats my pick if I could .

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.