In between 7mm-08 & .308

JGS - I would disagree with your statement about "not needing headspace gages". Spending $40 or so to validate correct headspace is cheap peace of mind.
That's fine. We can agree to disagree. If one wants to check initially I could understand that. I've done numerous ones now and none have ever been out of spec. The tolerances are so close now they're not needed. Remember they're a "prefit" shouldered barrel. Just torque to the same setting each time and good to go. Barrel nut and tapered are different. There are shouldered barrels made that are not prefit though and do require a Smith to fit to your rifle. Waiting for some now for Kelbly Atlas Tactical that are shouldered prefits.

Last edited:
That's fine. We can agree to disagree. If one wants to check initially I could understand that. I've done numerous ones now and none have ever been out of spec. The tolerances are so close now they're not needed. Remember they're a "prefit" shouldered barrel. Just torque to the same setting each time and good to go.

Quick Q. You have any experience with walther barrels?

I do not. Sorry friend
Story OP. Not trying to hijack your thread. however If this is a tac driver I'd shoot a moose with this all day long without hesitation.

Just had one put on a bergara…26" SS in 6creed.
I posted a thread on it but I must have did something wrong as there has been no response. Really thought something would be said. Good or bad lol.

Attachments

• 1D1C677B-7814-491E-9545-9F9C25EC4699.jpeg
    1D1C677B-7814-491E-9545-9F9C25EC4699.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 121
  • E0207EAF-44B8-41B9-8175-A3F2632E0E51.jpeg
    E0207EAF-44B8-41B9-8175-A3F2632E0E51.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 117
  • B732FE4E-27FA-43BB-B692-825222E64C5E.jpeg
    B732FE4E-27FA-43BB-B692-825222E64C5E.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 129
Story OP. Not trying to hijack your thread. however If this is a tac driver I'd shoot a moose with this all day long without hesitation.

Just had one put on a bergara…26" SS in 6creed.
I posted a thread on it but I must have did something wrong as there has been no response. Really thought something would be said. Good or bad lol.
"If it's a tack driver" or, it is a tack driver?

Totally agree!!! Was helping a buddy zero his rifle a 300 WM. He had shot a box of shells and had started on another. He ask me to look at it and shoot it, because he was convinced something was busted. He could not get it to shoot with any consistency, 4-5 inch groups all over the place. I looked at it and found nothing visibly wrong with it, except that it weighed about 8-9 pounds, with about a 5-6 lbs trigger, not Ideal for a 300. Shot a three shot group that measured about 1/2 moa. I told him it wasn't the gun.

He went on to ask what I thought the problem was? Instead of telling him I said let me show you. I had him shoot the gun twice while I feed the rounds in the chamber. The third time I fed the empty round back into the chamber. When he pulled the trigger he and the gun about fell of the bench!😂 I laughed and said, "There is your problem."

We both laughed and I began helping him fix his problem by learning to breath and squeeze the trigger correctly through a series of dry fire exercises, by the end of the day he was consistently shooting 1 1/2 inch groups.

Dry fire is one of the best things you can do to create consistency and deal with flinch and poor follow thru.

I also recommended he get a trigger job and have it lighted to about 2-3 lbs but if you practice with a bad trigger you will get good. You don't need a tricked out rifle to shoot tight groups, just a consistent, well disciplined shooter.

I general dry fire a rifle 3-5 times before I ever start shooting, even before I start a hunt.

Totally agree!!! Was helping a buddy zero his rifle a 300 WM. He had shot a box of shells and had started on another. He ask me to look at it and shoot it, because he was convinced something was busted. He could not get it to shoot with any consistency, 4-5 inch groups all over the place. I looked at it and found nothing visibly wrong with it, except that it weighed about 8-9 pounds, with about a 5-6 lbs trigger, not Ideal for a 300. Shot a three shot group that measured about 1/2 moa. I told him it wasn't the gun.

He went on to ask what I thought the problem was? Instead of telling him I said let me show you. I had him shoot the gun twice while I feed the rounds in the chamber. The third time I fed the empty round back into the chamber. When he pulled the trigger he and the gun about fell of the bench!😂 I laughed and said, "There is your problem."

We both laughed and I began helping him fix his problem by learning to breath and squeeze the trigger correctly through a series of dry fire exercises, by the end of the day he was consistently shooting 1 1/2 inch groups.

Dry fire is one of the best things you can do to create consistency and deal with flinch and poor follow thru.

I also recommended he get a trigger job and have it lighted to about 2-3 lbs but if you practice with a bad trigger you will get good. You don't need a tricked out rifle to shoot tight groups, just a consistent, well disciplined shooter.

I general dry fire a rifle 3-5 times before I ever start shooting, even before I start a hunt.
Good lesson and advice

7mm-08 in rifle with medium weight barrel has almost zero recoil. Just built a AR 10 7mm-08 . Two reason I went this route over 308. Ballistics and half my collection is 7mm and makes easy to have lots of different projectile for one caliber which allows many choices for each rifle. When shooting it with heavy barrel if not for report I would not know it went off.

Just put on a good muzzle brake. That will tame recoil considerably and make follow up shots much quicker. I like a Rolling Thunder brake although it is really loud. All my 308s have brakes of some sort and there is a big difference.

Shot placement with a lesser cartridge is more important than just getting a hit with a big boomer, but even a 105 howitzer needs good shot placement. Allways aim like your trying too shoot a dime reguardless of target size and caliber.
As young guy growing up at deer camp, we had older guys toting 300 Weatherby's and bigger. I remember comments they'd make. "With this gun, you don't have to hit them very good, just hit them". I'll never forget those remarks. One killed a buck with his 300Wby and hit the deer back a bit. We tracked that deer till I couldn't feel my toes it was so cold. No matter what gun i use, shot placement is just as important regardless what cartridge (within reason) is used. It's always gonna be my opinion. No offense as you have your opinion but I learned that early and I'll never forget that experience.

I can only say it so many ways. Where I live, suppressors are illegal.
I feel your pain.
We cannot have them on Australia but I believe that there are no real restrictions across the ditch in New Zealand.
I used one in South Africa but here it is very difficult for private citizens to get a permit or approval.