In between 7mm-08 & .308

Go and buy you a Remington R-5 308 24" barrel it doesn't have much kick to it and it will shoot factory ammo lights out with that rifle me and my shooting buddies hav 6 of them between us

My wife and son shoot a lightweight 7mm-08 with a muzzle brake and it recoils less than my standard 25-06 (24" #3 barrel, weight about 8.5 with scope). I would recommend that solution... Decent array of factory loads, tons more options if you reload, will kill anything in the lower 48 if you place the bullet within a reasonable range.

Problem solved, my consultancy fee is only $50 an hour minimum 4 hours... :)

Ok I haven't read all posts..my bad. However, I have some popcorn leftover from the hockey game so.. Let the new game begin 😉.
Just go get a 6.5 creedmoor with a 140-160gr pill and go get er done.
Another option is to develop, group and zero your heavy recoil gun from a lead sled…no recoil pain.
For me any time I've shot a large animal where I'm excited to have had the opportunity I've NEVER been able to recall what the recoil felt like when I pulled the trigger.
Regardless of your need to have a light recoil gun, when your shooting that trophy animal your thought should never wonder to felt recoil.
Just my 2c.

Build a switch barrel and have both! Shouldered prefits are abundant now for Kelblys, Defiance, Orgins, etc…. Just need one of each of these for $120 total and you can switch up all the time! Shouldered Prefits are so perfect now you don't even need headspace gauges.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Follow through!

They don't follow through with their shots. This is where dry firing comes in to play. You can literally catch yourself jerking the trigger, flinching, lifting your head or moving it to the side to see impacts, etc.

Many shooters and hunters don't know better, and dry firing teaches "Follow Through". Many think this only applies to shooting moving targets but it applies to all shooting.
Totally agree!!! Was helping a buddy zero his rifle a 300 WM. He had shot a box of shells and had started on another. He ask me to look at it and shoot it, because he was convinced something was busted. He could not get it to shoot with any consistency, 4-5 inch groups all over the place. I looked at it and found nothing visibly wrong with it, except that it weighed about 8-9 pounds, with about a 5-6 lbs trigger, not Ideal for a 300. Shot a three shot group that measured about 1/2 moa. I told him it wasn't the gun.

He went on to ask what I thought the problem was? Instead of telling him I said let me show you. I had him shoot the gun twice while I feed the rounds in the chamber. The third time I fed the empty round back into the chamber. When he pulled the trigger he and the gun about fell of the bench!😂 I laughed and said, "There is your problem."

We both laughed and I began helping him fix his problem by learning to breath and squeeze the trigger correctly through a series of dry fire exercises, by the end of the day he was consistently shooting 1 1/2 inch groups.

Dry fire is one of the best things you can do to create consistency and deal with flinch and poor follow thru.

I also recommended he get a trigger job and have it lighted to about 2-3 lbs but if you practice with a bad trigger you will get good. You don't need a tricked out rifle to shoot tight groups, just a consistent, well disciplined shooter.

I general dry fire a rifle 3-5 times before I ever start shooting, even before I start a hunt.

How about a 308 loaded with lighter bullets. Friend's son shoots a 308 with 130 gr TTSX, and the kid kills lots of game. Recoil is very manageable.
Those 130s in the 308 are fast at 3000 FPS, accurate, and light. Shot placement is huge, but there should be no hesitation with that round. Recommend it.

I tried 6 boxes of them from Corbon a few years ago and was impressed with the consistency.

I would recommend as others have that you consider a lighter projectile. 120s in the 7mm-08 or 150s in the 308. Both are more than adequate for deer. My oldest son carried a 7 lbs 7mm-08 youth rifle from the time he was 12. Still likes that little rifle and he is 25. He was a little fella, smaller than most, shot 120 gr factory loads with no problem. He has killed dozens of deer, hogs and coyotes with that little rifle. Their is a noticeable difference between the recoil of the 120s and that of the 130s and 140s. Kinetic energy however is minimal in difference because of the increased velocity.

I would recommend as others have that you consider a lighter projectile. 120s in the 7mm-08 or 150s in the 308. Both are more than adequate for deer. My oldest son carried a 7 lbs 7mm-08 youth rifle from the time he was 12. Still likes that little rifle and he is 25. He was a little fella, smaller than most, shot 120 gr factory loads with no problem. He has killed dozens of deer, hogs and coyotes with that little rifle. Their is a noticeable difference between the recoil of the 120s and that of the 130s and 140s. Kinetic energy however is minimal in difference because of the increased velocity.
I also agree with shooting the 120's out of a 7-08. My daughter has since she was 12 and I can tell ya from a proud Dad. She is still slaying the deer today with the same load she did 21 years ago like the Hammer of Thor !!

Build a switch barrel and have both! Shouldered prefits are abundant now for Kelblys, Defiance, Orgins, etc…. Just need one of each of these for $120 total and you can switch up all the time! Shouldered Prefits are so perfect now you don't even need headspace gauges.

View attachment 282465View attachment 282470
JGS - I would disagree with your statement about "not needing headspace gages". Spending $40 or so to validate correct headspace is cheap peace of mind.