Improving a Savage single shot accuracy?

wildcat westerner

Hello, I assure you this is a serious request. I received a Savage stainless, single shot rifle .308 and accutrigger used only in lead bullet competition. The barrel was smooth and I was told quite accurate. I had it rechambered to .300 WSM and added a Leopold 4.5 x 14x with cdm turret. I am used to reloading to long range benchrest finite specs.
I fired this rifle this morning placed 3 shots in 5 3/8" at 700 yards with Swift hunting Bullets. Practically speaking, should I be content with this accuracy, or do you think this platform, with its custom bedding and further loading refinement is capable of more accuracy? I would appreciate your serious insights. This is the first factory weapon I have owned in decades.
Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Gene S.

Gene, I stuck my toe into the Savage pool about 12 years ago, just to get my feet wet. I am in them up to my neck now.
The group you describe is pretty good for a rechamber. I won't say my F/TR in 308 would top that as I have not shot much for group past about 450. Lost my long range a few years back where I could shoot to a measured mile if I so desired.
To me it sounds like you have a good load. I would maybe tinker with length and go from there if your chrono readings are showing good numbers.

The 300WSM is one I have on my list.
Jeff

Nice shooting! I hope the new savage I picked up yesterday shoots to the reputation they have earned!

Hello, and thanks for your insights. I shall be shooting this tomorrow with some changes in OAL, but resist the attempt to use target Bullets in this rifle meant for hunting. I choose to use the Swift 180 grain Bullets for hunting and in checking them for uniformity, find them to be very excellent for a bullet meant for hunting.

Hello,
thanks for your insights. I will be shooting this early tomorrow with some slight changes in COAL. I will resist the urges to use a target bullet, as this rifle is meant for hunting. The bullet I have selected, the 180 grain Swift Scirocco seems to be extremely uniform for a hunting bullet.

This thread comes much later, but forthose with. SwiftScirocco Ii's, deep seating is practically mandatory. I have competed for decades at long range matches and wanted more accuracy from this rifle and KNEW it was capapble of it. I called Swift and was told with that incredible thick jacket, a long jump into the lands was the ticket. Subsequently I loaded down to an OAL of 2.80 with a case OAL of 2.09. The loaded cartridge almost looks incongruous. It also makes a nice three shot cloverleaf at 100 yards, Thanks Swift!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.