Repeaters VS Single shot

What do wind variables have to do with repeaters and single shots?
If we all agree that the single shot is more accurate (even if its just a little) then what benefit does a repeater gain?
That is the question

The same argument has been made with the SFP versus the FFP scope. The FFP will allow quick holdover under any magnification similar to the repeater allowing for quick repeating shots under any position.

If we all agree that the single shot is more accurate (even if its just a little) then what benefit does a repeater gain?
That is the question

IMO, if needed, a fast follow up shot without disrupting the sight picture.

That is the question

You're clearly not actually asking a question, because many answers have been given. This sort of technique wears thin awfully quickly.

Honestly if you can see no further than some relatively tiny, and so far unquantified, increase in accuracy, against a large and easily quantified wind variable, I don't think you have an awful lot of perspective on the question.

You're clearly not actually asking a question, because many answers have been given. This sort of technique wears thin awfully quickly.

Honestly if you can see no further than some relatively tiny, and so far unquantified, increase in accuracy, against a large and easily quantified wind variable, I don't think you have an awful lot of perspective on the question.

I'm completely missing your point. The wind is the easiest thing to see but until the wind effects the two different kinds of action differently then what does it add to the argument? The wind takes no prisoners it beats us all.
If you look at ERL, bench rest and long range records. They pretty much all 99% belong to single shots. So that IMHO is at least some measure of proof that they are more consistent hense more accurate.
We don't have to agree, my original point was if building a Long range specific rig why go repeater over a single shot.

I look at it this way.

If I am building the Ultimate "Long Range" gun than will occasionally be used for general hunting, I will build a single shot.

If I am building the Ultimate "Hunting Gun" that I want the ability to use at long range, I will build a repeater.

I look at it this way.

If I am building the Ultimate "Long Range" gun than will occasionally be used for general hunting, I will build a single shot.

If I am building the Ultimate "Hunting Gun" that I want the ability to use at long range, I will build a repeater.

I agree with this 100%
That's why in the original post I said "where talking about LR and ERL for maximum accuracy"

If you look at ERL, bench rest and long range records. They pretty much all 99% belong to single shots.

If there ever was to become such an event what would the actions in this competition look like? Competitors are allowed only one scored shot per relay, with a caveat. One competitor competes at a time from the center of the firing line with one center target in the pit raised. All remaining targets in the pit are down. The competitor fires one round. If a ten is hit that competitor moves onto the next relay and not disqualified from the match. If anything other than a ten is hit, the center target is pulled and a random target somewhere to the left or right is raised for five seconds (simulating a wounded animal walking or running off, then temporarily stopping). The competitor has the opportunity to take as many additional shots in this five seconds before the second target is pulled. If the competitor shoots a ten on the second target, the competitor also moves onto the next relay and is not disqualified.

The following relays with remaining competitors are conducted from different ground. One relay there may be a big rock that has to be stuck under the stomach. Another relay a box, simulating a tree, is placed a couple inches off to the side of the action, and so on. The competitors will decide on what obstacles they induce or not induce between relays.

I wonder how many repeaters one would see in this such competition?

I think a lot would depend on the caliber (a 373CT, 408CT, 50cal could easily be a single shot) but not everything goes as planned in the field. I've walked in to an overlook spot and bumped elk within 100y. It's awfully nice having a repeater in those situations! I've seen custom sticks built on repeater actions print 5" 5-shot groups at a 1,100. How accurate can a single shot be beyond that?

I think a lot would depend on the caliber (a 373CT, 408CT, 50cal could easily be a single shot) but not everything goes as planned in the field. I've walked in to an overlook spot and bumped elk within 100y. It's awfully nice having a repeater in those situations! I've seen custom sticks built on repeater actions print 5" 5-shot groups at a 1,100. How accurate can a single shot be beyond that?

Thats a view i was offering earlier. If your shooting ELR say 1500 yards, 1/2 moa is under 8". Will having a 1/4 or even 1/8 moa capability offer you anything at that range?

I read a comment that Joel russo wrote which stated he stops wasting barrel life once he works a load to 1/2 moa on his elr rifles. His reason being, maintaining a 1/2 moa barrel was more important than any more accuracy would be at those ranges.

Me personally, im pretty stoked to shoot near a 1/2 moa at elr.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.