Hunting with a Bolt Action as a Single Shot

Single shot Ruger MKII SA push feed, .22-250 -was at one time a .243W.

Ruger made a few of these push feed MKII's before transitioning to their controlled feed actions. A simple modification like drill a .25 hole threaded for a Rem 700 front receiver screw (screw on right side, green stuff is Turtle wax) and then epoxy glue a Score High aluminum follower to the action rails to replace the factory magazine follower. Stock work included turning an aluminum screw retainer and bedding it into the stock - increase of stock stabilities. This rifle was at one time a .243 W and the modification is for long pointy 105 boat tail bullets having more than 2.8 inches COAL - no bullet bashing upon being stripped from magazine. The junction of boat tail & sides of bullet is above neck/shoulder of brass (its that donut stuff) and enough H1000 (RL26 might be ideal) can be used.

This rifle has shot up lots of deers & yotes and hordes of various kinds of rodents. Will probably go back to .243W or .243 AI when the .22-.250 barrel is shot out. 22 CM is also being considered.

IMG_1418.JPG

Last edited:
I measured the CBTO and COAL for the Berger 180 grain VLD I plan on loading for my 7mm STW and got the COAL 0.015 off the lands to be 3.955". This well over the 3.65" magazine length in the Rem 700 Sendero.

Anyone hunt with their bolt action as a single shot to accommodate the extra COAL from a long bullet or throat in their rifle?
Yes.

Yep I did hunt with 2 of mine as single shot . I modified the magazine on my Browning and now it is a 3 shot . Had my Savage 116SS Lazz. 30 cal short action Patriot customized and it has no magazine , it will always be a single shot bolt action .