I'm excited to get into long range shooting

Methow Packer

I live in a little town called Twisp in north central Washington state. The county is Okanagon and has a reputation for some nice mule deer. I was fortunate enough to take 189 mule deer last year. The country is tough in a lot places justifying long range shots. I've shot a couple of game animals over 600 yards but the shots were made the old fashion way elevating about so much and thinking the shot through. I want to be more precise for better accuracy so here is where I'll learn about what I need to do.

I have a Kimber 8400 26" barreled .300W Mag and a Kimber 84 in .270 WSM. Both set with Leupold 4x14 CDS scopes and @ 2.5 lb trigger pulls. They have match grade actions and barrels according to Kimber. So far they both have shot as small as 3/8" groups at 100 yards when I'm steady and these eyes are focusing well. Obviously I've got something started but need to start shooting farther out. I've reloaded most of my adult life, I'm 64, but never for long range shooting.

Berger VLD , Accu bond, and Barns TTSX bullets are my choices so far. Mostly RL22,RL25 and H4831 powder. The weather is better now which will allow me to get out and shoot. Look forward to some good reading in the future.gun):)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.