Illuminated Reticles

Shufisher

Just curious about opinions on illuminated reticles. Having never used one I can see where it could be advantageous during twilight hours or in deep shadows, but what are some of the cons?
I have two scopes of interest, the Sightron SII 6-5-20x50 or the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 with, you guessed it, an illuminated reticle.
Thanks so much,

Shu

This is an interesting topic. I have seen some tactical scopes recently that used the third turret for illumination controls rather than parallax adjustment. Personally, I would much rather have the parallax adjustment at the turret location rather than on the objective. Matter of fact for the number of times I have used illuminated reticles I could pretty much do without them.
Fact is, they work. They do enable shots in poor light conditions. How many shots they enable I am not sure - I have concerns about shooting late afternoons since tracking will be difficult if the light goes. Early morning - usually I can see my crosshairs and light is improving.
I shot targets out at 1000 yards one time in almost total darkness with an NXS 5.5-22 with the illumination on and we smacked the steel man-targets ever shot. Weird deal, we could see the little white blob, no wind, just work the trigger and you got a hit.
A question - does having illumination entice hunters to push the limit re shooting light? Probably not but I still do not like shooting at game near the end of legal light.

I have never used one but was thinking of getting one for use at night with a lamp set up.

Since then I have come to the conclusion that in the lamping situation the point where enough light is present on the target for a good positive ID,there is enough light to see the reticule (big fat s&b reticule that is).

Jeza

i use Leupold and Dr Optics illuminated scopes all the time. I have no complaints to speak of except the warranties on the illumination is 1year not lifetime like the scopes. I use mine to hunt coyotes and bobcats at night under a red light and they perform great. I have used a nightforce with the NPRR2 reticle and it was too much at night. everything in the scope lit up and caused a haze affect. The Nightforce had to have the battery taken out to change the amount of brightness, not a good thing in the dark. The others that I have used, Leupold-Dr Optics-Nikon all have the external dial to adjust the brightness. In my opinion this is a much better setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.