Illuminated vs non illuminated reticles

In the thick woods early in the season in many places it can get dark in the woods long before it gets dark on a food plot. At these times I think it is helpful.

I also think they can make things simpler for close range, when the dot isn't too big relative to the target. I don't have to worry about the crosshair focus vs game focus, or anything else other than putting the small dot right where I want the shot. Again, I could get by without it, but if it is bothersome I can easily turn it off in a few seconds, or do it before the hunt.

I am using a Leupold VX6 which has around 7 or 8 brightness levels, so you can really fine tune how bright, and therefore how big, the dot is. It also has a great auto-on and auto-off system. It is also ~$100 on the Leupold.

That said, at the range, I turn it off. I am also about to buy a Swarovski Z6 and am going without illumination. I'll pay a $100 premium but not the $700 or so on the Swarovski.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.