Illuminated reticle

swampyak

Hello
I'm thinking about purchasing a nightforce shv with an illuminated reticle. I've never had an illuminated reticle but thinking it would be nice in mornings and evenings.
Those that have used illuminated reticle would you spend the extra money again?
Thanks for the comments

If it's for a hunting scope and you can afford it, I recommend it. The illuminated reticle also helps in dark and/or thick woods. You can really pick up the red illuminated reticle in the dark and cluttered background.

I like an illuminated reticle in dark conditions. Nice thing is you have the option to turn it on when needed and most have different levels of adjustable output.

The one on my oldVX6 2-12 has been great in dim conditions especially against dark targets and for target acquisition in fast shooting scenarios. It made making a gun-to-the shoulder trigger pull shot on a Warthog at 30 yards very easy.

I've got several scopes with illuminated reticles. I originally thought they would give me the edge when hunting last legal light for whitetails. My experience tells me otherwise. I could always see my crosshairs long after the sun set and even beyond legal shooting time. I never used the illumination feature for whitetails.

But ... there are always some exceptions. Here are the few times I was very happy to have a lit reticle or central dot:
1. Hunting black bears under a dense canopy, which is most of the time
2. Hunting pigs at night where a feeder has dim green illumination
3. On my most recent moose hunt where you can shoot 30min before sunrise. It was still rather dark and crosshairs were visible but the firedot sure made it easier to aim.

If the SHV is a first focal plane, then the illuminated reticle is a must IMO. The reticle will be teeny tiny at low magnification, but you can spin up the illumination, and see it readily. Makes it much easier for quick shooting at close range. Both eyes open, and it works just like a red dot.

I shot a deer last year at last light, and used a little illumination. Was it absolutely necessary? Nope. Did it help? Yep.

I will only hunt with illuminated reticles. A dark target even in decent lighting conditions can make picking up the crosshairs a little difficult. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not. But with a lot of shot opportunities at low light times I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

i'm to the point where i dont buy a scope unless it's got an IR - especially if it's going on a gun that i'll hunt with. i keep 2-3 extra batteries on the gun too. in scope caps, AR grips if it's a gas gun or just duct taped to the scope body somewhere that it's out of the way. i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You might be interested in reading a bit of background info on Trijicon's website as I believe they were early pioneers of n illuminated reticles. Take it with a grain of salt since it's used as marketing but in my experience the "Binden Aiming Concept" is a real phenomenon, a lit reticle at lower magnification provides an actual advantage when making snap shots. I have used it for shooting running caribou with both eyes open and was actually amazed it worked just like their article promised.

I now only buy illuminated scopes, you can always turn it off if you don't want to use it, but for snap shots like a running animal or bear, I'd like to have it. Personal favorites are Trijicon and NF digillum as I like a green reticle over red, but that's just me.

We get to hunt WT 30min bf sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. I have an Optika6 on my son's gun and I have a VX6 on mine, both with illumination. If you just hunt open fields you can probably get by without illumination, but I won't buy a WT hunting scope without illumination again.

I got the illuminated in my Leupold because I didn't want to wonder if it would make a difference. And it is very nice in dark shooting conditions. Glad I got it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.