Idiot Needs Help

Sometimes stuff like this just happens when the right (or wrong) factors come together. A couple of recent examples that come to mind for me are the 143 ELD-X with my 6.5-284. I pushed that to the lands with my Hornady OAL gage and pulled it out only to be astonished by how far the bullet was seated in the case! I think a combination of the ogive profile with a short throat just eliminated the ELD-X as an option. No worries, a 130 Accubond worked just fine. Then, with my .204 Ruger, I was pushing 39 grain Blitzkings right out of the case, like you described and ended up just seating them .020 shorter than mag length and I was fine. I'd say about 80% of the time, the Hornady OAL set-up works fine for me but every so often, it gives me fits. That said, I would agree that the alternative method mentioned above seems worth looking into.

Best,

-YZ

If that's the worst mistake I ever made I would feel like a genius!--which I definitely am not! My bonehead of the month-- after doing some stock work with accuglass I pulled out the Devcon and bedded a stock with it. Problem was accuglass mixes at 1 to 1. Devcon at 2.5to 1. Guess what I mixed the Devcon at! Getting the action loose was hard enough, much less cleaning all the devcon out! It was about the consistency of cold sticky carmel!
Live, learn,and be humble!

Check the headspace first with a 300 RUM go/nogo set. Full length size a new piece of 300 RUM brass (I like Norma) in a 338 EDGE die. Make a dummy round and chamber it with your finger have a brass rod to push it back out. Should go all the way in and not stick with the length is less than max for the round. Load a round and fire, neck size and fire again. There should be no sticking in or out.

338 dude, thank you for the vote of confidence that I am not an idiot. However you might change your tune after I confess what was going wrong. I was improperly setting my bullet seating die and crushing the shoulder on the case. I realized when I switched to my 300WM in Norma brass, and the shoulder deformation was very pronounced. I switched back to my 7RM dies and loaded a round (with the seater die correctly set up) at 0.010" off the lands as measured with the OAL gauge, and sure enough it chambers and ejects no resistance.

Thank you for the help everybody, that was fairly embarrassing! Should I delete this thread, or might it be helpful for other first-time reloaders?
Please don't be embarrassed we've all made a few mistakes and in my case more than a few, only people that haven't are the one's that haven't did anything, we're all human

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts