Ideas on what to build next

TDUFF

Hey y'all

I just finished "for the most part" my ar-15 in 223 and its shoots great although the farthest I've reached out so far is 425 yards. I'm hoping to touch steel at 800 with it soon just need to find some more distance. Now I'm trying to decide what I want to build next. I am going to start an sbr in 6.8 soon but I want another long gun. I a friend of mine brought up the idea of a 6-6.8 as I was wanting to build one in a 6mm of some sortor for the ar-15 platform. I was playing around with the idea of doing an ar-10 in 260 or 6.5 creed more but I decided I wanted to stay with the smaller frame. I am open to all opinions on this and would really like the input. This is a picture on my gun ,all black, and my friends I just got into shooting

Thanks, Trell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 143
I did a 204 and really like it I think a 20 vartarg would be really cool also. If your looking for something with more punch I think D-tech and maybe some other custom builders offer the WSSMs so I would think you could build one yourself. 243Wssm would have to be one of the meanest rounds that'll fit in ar15 platform.

Take a look at the 6.5 Grendel... The ballistics are excellent.

24" 6.5 Grendel (attached) 14.5" 5.56 (front)

D026D8DC-407C-4A95-9835-55AAD323500E_zpsojcs7vk0.jpg

5.56 / 6.5 Grendel / .300 Blackout

0C40E337-C54B-4505-A01C-58E4D57DB97B_zpsiqni1xiw.jpg

6.5 Grendel - 130 Berger AR Hybrid

0237DA12-C5C4-4791-B8BD-7F22AD0F6A0C_zpsttkj3ysh.jpg

Love my 6mm ar turbo. Pushing 105 lapua scenar L 2850 fps with an es of 10 and an SD of 4.

well under half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yrds.

Attachments

• 20151114_134410.jpg
    20151114_134410.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 138
Hey y'all

I just finished "for the most part" my ar-15 in 223 and its shoots great although the farthest I've reached out so far is 425 yards. I'm hoping to touch steel at 800 with it soon just need to find some more distance. Now I'm trying to decide what I want to build next. I am going to start an sbr in 6.8 soon but I want another long gun. I a friend of mine brought up the idea of a 6-6.8 as I was wanting to build one in a 6mm of some sortor for the ar-15 platform. I was playing around with the idea of doing an ar-10 in 260 or 6.5 creed more but I decided I wanted to stay with the smaller frame. I am open to all opinions on this and would really like the input. This is a picture on my gun ,all black, and my friends I just got into shooting

Thanks, Trell

I have the same dilemma. Gave my brother-in-law my precision .223 where I would have room for another build. I have a lower built up and a mur upper receiver. Can't decide. Going to be hard to improve on that turbo 40.

Don't really want a 300 blackout sbr simply because I don't want all the hassle of owning an NFA weapon. Might change my mind if they ever take suppressors off the NFA list.

I kind of like the 30 ARX. It is a Grendel necked up to 30 cal. Pushes 150 grain bullets around 2500 fps. Getting close to a .308. I think it would make a great hog hunting gun.

I am on a savage switchbarrel kick right now. They are as much fun to build as AR's.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I forgot about the 243 wssm. I did some looking at uppers for it and As of now I think that's where this gun will be headed, I'm just goi g to have to save a more then planned. I think I'll start getting parts in for my sbr 6.8 here In the next month or so then I'll get on this 243 wssm. When I get started I'll be sure to let y'all know how the builds are going.

Thanks again Trell

Thanks for all the quick replies. I forgot about the 243 wssm. I did some looking at uppers for it and As of now I think that's where this gun will be headed, I'm just goi g to have to save a more then planned. I think I'll start getting parts in for my sbr 6.8 here In the next month or so then I'll get on this 243 wssm. When I get started I'll be sure to let y'all know how the builds are going.

Thanks again Trell

My only issue with the WSSM is the primary company that builds them. Olympic is known for cutting corners where corners shouldn't be cut. However, if you have one put together by Mike Milli at Dtech, you will have something. http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html

My only issue with the WSSM is the primary company that builds them. Olympic is known for cutting corners where corners shouldn't be cut. However, if you have one put together by Mike Milli at Dtech, you will have something. Dtech Custom AR-15 WSSM Upper Recievers - D-Tech - Custom AR-15 Upper Receivers[URL="http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html[/QUOTE]now"]http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html[/QUOTE[/URL][URL="http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html[/QUOTE]now"][URL="http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html[/QUOTE]now"][/QUOTE[/URL][/URL]]

Now that is an interesting cal. Pretty much lost it shine with the bolt gun guys but a 105 berger vld at 3000 fps is interesting to me. I am running them about 2850 out of my 6mm ar turbo 40.

I would like to read more about it. Mainly the life expectancy of that bolt and where you get it. Who makes it and what kind of inspections it has had? Does it require a proprietary bolt carrier or will it fit in a standard one?

Will it run on a standard A2 rifle spring and buffer or does it require something different.

After reading the article and reviews of that 6mm AR turbo 40, it's difficult to get away from that possibility. Readily available parent brass and some very nice performance for an ar 15. Looks like rcoody is seeing some nice things out of his:D

Dtech is who I was planning on getting the upper through. After more research it seems they also have a feeding issue but maybe that has been resolved. I guess my mind could change at anytime but with my 243win being my favorite all around go to anything from steel to deer gun I think I will realy appreciate the 243 wssm.

Last edited:
When talking with dtech about the wssm options he talked me out of it. Look into the 6mm dti. 6.8 with a blown out shoulder necked to 6mm. Very sweet round and feeds as fast as a slide fire can cycle. It's about as good as you can get in an ar 15 frame. If not that then I would look at the Grendel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.