Ideas for a .338 federal build?

I want to build a capable ar rifle build to shoot up to 250 yrds with at pigs, whitetail, elk, and anything else that cross my path at that range.

.338 ballistics can easily do what is intended at that range I know but what components to build off of? This will be my first ar build.
You might look at Wilson Combat - they have the 338 uppers marked down in half.

I bought a clearance price Wilson Combat 338 Federal barrel. I haven't gotten it out to the range yet but it's in an Aero M5E1 receiver set with matching hand guard and partial LPK. I have either a Larue MBT or a cheap Rise Armament drop in trigger, either is a nice upgrade over a LPK trigger. It has a Toolcraft NiB coated BCG, an Odin Works tunable gas block, Mega charging handle, AR10 length carbine buffer tube.

It's a simple combo and cheap.

The Toolcraft NiB BCG is much nicer than a DPMS BCG and cheaper.

A DPMS LR308 LPK is more expensive and not as good a choice as an Aero M5 LPK if you are using Aero M5 (or M5E1) receivers.

DPMS created the shorty buffer LR308 style carbine buffer setup which Aero also builds. The AR10 length setup that uses a longer tube with standard AR15 length carbine buffers is much better if you ever need/want to change buffer mass. That's something to keep in mind if you reload or your box ammo wasn't developed to run an AR gas system, I think 338 Federal counts.

Shooting a 200gr projectile at 2700 fps is going to do Waaay more than a Creedmoor shooting 140gr at 2650ish. I'm scratching my head here as to why someone doesn't think a 338 Federal will kill elk. I've seen a huge bull moose dropped dead at 250 yards. Didn't twitch.

I'm not an AR fan, but I'm a big fan of .338 Federal. I shoot 210 gr. Barnes TTXs with great accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to take an elk with it. I know one that took a 60" moose in Alaska.

Not trying to talk you out of the 338 federal because it will be OK for most everything you listed except it would be marginal for elk in my opinion at 250 to 300 yards without perfect shot placement.

Actually a 308 would do better and would be an easy build or buy. And with so many bullet weights to chose from you could select the best one for the type of hunting and get the most performance. Deer and hogs are easy with a 150 class bullet and range is greatly increased. For elk at close ranges, 180's and 200's would be my choice for the 308.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

was going to comment something similar, there is nothing the .338 fed can do that the .308 cannot and I think there's lots the .308 can do that the .338 federal cannot, trajectory wise, but most of all budget wise, and the op states plinking is on the table...308 win makes all the sense in the world.

If someone said I get to hunt brown bear, elk, and moose and the choices were .308 Win or .338 Fed, I'd opt for the .338 Federal. Once we drop down to game lighter than those listed, it'd be a wash (flip-a-coin.) But there's nothing wrong with wanting and using a .338 Fed in the AR platform. It hits hard. But it doesn't kick hard. It's a nice, under-appreciated round. And being a reloader, brass will always be a .308 resize away. Easy. Just some thoughts. Oh yeah, those 160 grain Barnes TTSX bullets can be made to whip right along in the .338 Fed AND still penetrate deep, but with greater frontal area. That's not 'nothing' when it comes to hunting.

Now, this being a LRH forum, the .308 Win is definitely the better LONG RANGE round. And that's something, too, for those that lean that way.

To the OPs original post, here are my .338 Federal AR-10/SR-25 thoughts:
* Aero Precision M5 upper and lower (DPMS-compatible pattern)
* Aero Precision lower parts kit
* Rainier Arms UltraMatch 22" fluted stainless steel barrel in .338 Fed
* Carbine mil-spec buffer tube with a Mag-Pul CTR stock fitted w/a Limbsaver recoil pad; the spring & buffer are DPMS 'carbine' units (I'm now favoring the A2 stock and will likely switch out to it at some point)
* Charging handle is a Strike Industries AR-10 7075-T6 aluminum unit (ARCH-308)
* Forend? DPMS LR-308 aluminum Free-Floating unit
* Bolt? Toolcraft .308 phosphate complete Bolt Carrier Group that has been MPI tested
* To top it all off, scope it with a Leupold VX-Hog 1-4X20mm (matte w/PigPlex reticle; Model# 114933); for the dark timber, the illuminated version would be an upgrade. I just don't like batteries in hunting stuff if it can be avoided

I recently received an email from Wilson Combat that showed some complete uppers in 338 Federal on clearance for less than $900 (TRIM rail models). I have read some good reviews on WC uppers chambered in other cartridges but I don't have any personal experience with their uppers.

I've always liked the idea of the .338 Federal, but hadn't owned one. A buddy hunts almost exclusively with his Ruger Hawkeye .338 Federal, but I missed that $399 closeout when he bought his.

I recently bit the bullet and decided to assemble an AR upper in .338. I went with Wilson Combat's 16" intermediate gas system barrel and TRIM handguard that were on sale. I used an Aero M5 upper, Fulton Armory bolt (my .308 AR that I am using the lower from is a Fulton Armory and I've been very happy with them), a Seekins adjustable gas block (because I like to tune my ARs), and a JP Enterprises brake that I had sitting around in .308 and will open up to .338 on the lathe.

I'll probably use a DNZ mount and a low power scope with it. I don't have anything I hunt that the .338 gives a decided advantage over a .308 with heavy bullets, but I like the idea of the cartridge.

I hope you get a good fit.

My Aero upper, Aero lower, Aero LPK builds fit great and build as easily as an AR15. My first LR308 used "matched" upper and lower from a different company and a DPMS LPK but does not fit as nicely and it fought me a lot when I was building.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.