Ideas on a paint scheme for this carbon rifle

raider1v1

I am looking for a pattern that will help break up the rifle, but also keep the carbon pattern. carbon on the barrel will stay as it is. the rest of the action and barrel will need to be painted.
Currently im thinking a riptile type scheme. you guys have any other suggestions?

Specs on the rifle:
  • Proof Barrel - .270 Win, 22" long 1:10 twist and Vias Brake
  • Remington Action - Trued
  • Boltwork done by Kampfeld Customs
  • Trigger - Timney 517 @ 3#
  • Stock - Manners EH1 Clear Finish w/ PTG Bottom BDL metal
  • Total weight 7lbs 7 3/4oz

LHrw0lU.jpg

mMBacDS.jpg

You hunt Missouri (from looking at your profile)?

If so, I'd imagine that large swaths/stripes of forest green, with patches of dark brown and light tan might be nice. Kinda like the riptile, but instead of the base layer being brown or tan, it could remain the dark color of the carbon...

yes, sorry i wasnt clear. the stock is what im looking for some ideas with. just so its not another black rifle.

NOOOOOOOO...don't paint over the bare carbon fiber!!!!!

MAYBE, a splatter/webbing so the carbon is still visible...maybe!

I have never had a CF stock to play with this on, but I always thought it would look cool.....Look at the attached picture, and visualize the tan mesh areas as bare carbon fiber showing through.....kind of reptileish.....like it's shedding the camo.......You could leave as much CF showing through as you wanted.

Attachments

• 20180613_221028.jpg
    20180613_221028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
I have never had a CF stock to play with this on, but I always thought it would look cool.....Look at the attached picture, and visualize the tan mesh areas as bare carbon fiber showing through.....kind of reptileish.....like it's shedding the camo.......You could leave as much CF showing through as you wanted.
yup thats the riptile style that i was looking at.

I am looking for a pattern that will help break up the rifle, but also keep the carbon pattern. carbon on the barrel will stay as it is. the rest of the action and barrel will need to be painted.
Currently im thinking a riptile type scheme. you guys have any other suggestions?

Specs on the rifle:

LHrw0lU.jpg

mMBacDS.jpg

Specs on the rifle:

LHrw0lU.jpg

mMBacDS.jpg
why not just do one like on the core or gap manners stock do a sponge camo

Attachments

• Manners-T4A-Scorched-Earth-photo_800x.jpeg
    Manners-T4A-Scorched-Earth-photo_800x.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 175
I've never painted a carbon fiber stock but have painted several CF items over the years. If you want the CF to be part of the pattern I would coat the entire stock with a clear coat first then apply the pattern. If this is a hunting application, most likely you won't want a gloss finish. In that case use a flat clear coat as the base. The reason I suggested a clear coat is it would act as a sealer or base coat for the camo pattern to adhere to. In my mind, application of a camo pattern on raw CF might lead to an adhesion issue that could cause the camo coating to lift at the edges where it transitions from raw CF to paint. This would be a fun project that could come out very nice.

thanks guys! this is a manners stock and it has a clear 'gel-coat' type feel to it, so it does have something there besides just the bare weave. it is for a hunting application so i was thinking black, patriot brown/coyote brown, and OD green.

keep the pictures coming!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.