Ideas for New .277 build

27 is an overlooked caliber for some reason? How much powder do you want to burn per case might be on the "gotta figure it out list"? Want to burn an insane amount of powder in a 27cal.........neck down a 300nm or 300lm. I'm thinking about an xm length by shortening and necking down a 408CT.
I don't think it's overlooked. Heavy bullets for the 270 have been 150 grains until fairly recently. Not that the 270 needs heavy bullets for most of what it's used for but with the 6.5 having 100-156 grain bullets and the 7mm running bullets to 195 grains, the 270 is under gunned so to speak in terms of bullet weight variety. Now that bullets in the 160-175 grain weight for the 270 are out, it's becoming more desirable. I'm content with 130 grain bullets for my 270 simply because my killing ranges with it aren't long. Many want a little more effectiveness with theirs at much longer ranges. That problem has been solved without going to another caliber.

I don't think it's overlooked. Heavy bullets for the 270 have been 150 grains until fairly recently. Not that the 270 needs heavy bullets for most of what it's used for but with the 6.5 having 100-156 grain bullets and the 7mm running bullets to 195 grains, the 270 is under gunned so to speak in terms of bullet weight variety. Now that bullets in the 160-175 grain weight for the 270 are out, it's becoming more desirable. I'm content with 130 grain bullets for my 270 simply because my killing ranges with it aren't long. Many want a little more effectiveness with theirs at much longer ranges. That problem has been solved without going to another caliber.
You're correct about bullets! Now every caliber is getting an upgrade so to speak. With this in mind a faster twist is needed in most normal twist per cartridge and caliber. 130's is my normal in 270win, but now have 150's to choose from. Beyond that I'll need a faster twist or more speed? If I get my custom 270wsm finished it'll be close to 300wm muzzle energy with the 170eol's. Of course, a longer barrel is required for the almost same ME.

You're correct about bullets! Now every caliber is getting an upgrade so to speak. With this in mind a faster twist is needed in most normal twist per cartridge and caliber. 130's is my normal in 270win, but now have 150's to choose from. Beyond that I'll need a faster twist or more speed? If I get my custom 270wsm finished it'll be close to 300wm muzzle energy with the 170eol's. Of course, a longer barrel is required for the almost same ME.
Oh absolutely. 7-8 twist barrels are common for the 6.8 Western and will be for most .277 cartridges. The 150s aren't really a specialty bullet for the 270 unless using Berger's 150 VLD and I think it will still work with 10 twist barrels. It's the 165-175 that needs a fast barrel. I see 180s on the horizon for the .277.

Oh absolutely. 7-8 twist barrels are common for the 6.8 Western and will be for most .277 cartridges. The 150s aren't really a specialty bullet for the 270 unless using Berger's 150 VLD and I think it will still work with 10 twist barrels. It's the 165-175 that needs a fast barrel. I see 180s on the horizon for the .277.
So far the 150vld-h and 150ablr is working in a 10T. I usually don't like having a cartridge I ca't get fmj's for (ie, 7mm, 6.8mm and on).

I would go with a regular .270 Winchester. I shoot 140gr Barnes TSX in mine. It kills everything I shoot it at.
I just dropped off my old 270 to have it rebarreled, not because I need more speed, but because it was well worn from years of use. My only change was to go with a 1:7.5 SS Benchmark barrel blank with the throat cut for max case volume and .020 jump. I'm betting it will still take game like the old one did, but with higher BC bullets. I'm a hunter and not involved in any long range target games, so I think it will be fine for me. Yes, I can only hope that I live long enough to burn out the throat!

Last edited:
Update on the 27 Nosler build. We were in a hurry to get it shooting before deer season and didn't spend much time on development. The accuracy load we settled on was right at 3,200 fps with the 156 HH with H1000. (wanted clean & temp stable) Pretty sure it's got more potential - especially when Petersen comes out with brass. A witness saw the 156 HH blow a cloud of red mist out the exit side of a double-lung hit on a running deer. Does the job just fine. Rifle handles and shoots sweet. Still waiting on the Nomad Ti though...

Interesting the same velocity out of my .270Win, RL26 with 156HH settled in at 3200 as accurate load. Very slight ejector mark Pressure at 3285 so backed down and it hums at 3200. Killed my biggest WT last year with it down in Indiana. The terminal was spectacular turning entire chest cavity into red syrup and exiting with nice ~1" exit hole. Stevie Wonder blood trail. I bet the 27N will really motor with RL26.

What was the issue with the BD2?

Last edited:
Yeah, we didn't get to pressure on the 27N at 3200 fps. I think 3400 would be achievable especially with Petersen brass and N570 / RL26 or similar. Just couldn't get the BD2 to group. I try them and the Hammers in most of our rifles. Just my luck on the BD2's I guess. I think the design for BC makes them more sensitive to everything. Likely just need more time to play with them. They don't hold together quite like the Hammers do on high velocity impacts, but they do reach out further. I'm quite happy with the performance of the 156 HH out to 1k anyway.