Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

You sure have not offended me, I wish you all the luck in the world. What may work for you is a Barnes ttx (or the one of the other x bullets they have ) or you may try one of the other lead free bullets that is out there. They only open to 1 or maybe 2 times diamater on elk or moose. I have no actual experience on game just yet, it's just from what I've read about them.
You also may want to give Barnes a call or Hornady ( Hornady has a GMX like a Barnes bullet ) They have been good about answering my questions on bullets and recomending bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I wish you the best of luck at finding a bullet and in your hunting for wolf.

Jesse

These wolves are not supernatural werewolves...IF you hit any animal in a non-vital area... you lose him. When you skin out and look at the small kill zone on wolves you see the real crux of the problem. As an ole friend says, a bowling ball out of a 747 or a bullet...you still gotta hit em in the vitals. Better accuracy and quick follow-up shots. These wolves don't have a gristle plate like hogs and cape buffalo nor iron hide like elephants and rhino nor are they thick muscle padded like bears and moose. You can stitch up a hole in a dead wolf but fur from a wolf is a value added that is only to worried about after you have killed the dog. Who is going to spend this disproportionate amount of time for the financial reward of a wolf pelt for fur sale...no, these devils are hunted for the challenge.

You sure have not offended me, I wish you all the luck in the world. What may work for you is a Barnes ttx (or the one of the other x bullets they have ) or you may try one of the other lead free bullets that is out there. They only open to 1 or maybe 2 times diamater on elk or moose. I have no actual experience on game just yet, it's just from what I've read about them.
You also may want to give Barnes a call or Hornady ( Hornady has a GMX like a Barnes bullet ) They have been good about answering my questions on bullets and recomending bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor.
I wish you the best of luck at finding a bullet and in your hunting for wolf.

Jesse
Thanks jesse,I was on the same page.I resently bought a T/C TCR-83 in 30-06 and a 7mm mag barrel.I found 120 gr V-max and 139 gr Gmx blems in 7mm and developed loads for both.I also bought a couple 100 boxes of SST's that are good all purpose for here.Your 6.5 creadmore is probably the best choice I've heard since brass has is now easy to find and the Icon has made it afordable. For our texan freind,I understand completely! When the SKS failed to do the job on a running target,I bought a Eddystone Springfeild sporter (30-06) and replaced the open sights with with a milldot scope.after bore siting it the scope saved my eyes when I fired the 3rd round I'd put through the rifle.The actoin came apart in my face.I bought a 300 Ultra mag to overcome the flinch.

tclose, sounds like the TC should work for ya along with the bullets you mentioned. Sorry to hear about the gun blowing up but glad you didn't get hurt. That would give a guy a flinch for sure..!
I do like my DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor, It has a heavy fluted and cryogenically treated 24" barrel. I just put a Geissele match trigger in it and took it to the range yesterday for the first time with the new trigger.
I shot a 3 shot group at 500yds off a bi pod that was 3" with factory 140gr A-Max's and then 3 shots with 120 gr A-Max's that was a little over 5 1/2". I knew it has always shot the 140gr better. 3 shot groups are not a real test but I was limited on time at the 500yd line for some guys wanting to shoot at 200yd so that was all I could do.
I do understand about the hide thing with big holes, I'm 70 years old and made some extra money trapping as a kid and with my sons when they were old enough. I learned early how to not mess a hide up so you wouldn't be docked on the price. Getting docked hurt after freezing your butt and getting soak plus all the time and effort put in. My Dad did the same only for him it was more serious For him that was pretty much about all the money he would have at times when he was going to have as a kid growing up.
Again I wish you the best of luck wolf hunting and all things you do.

Have a good'n Jesse

well,Jesse,I geuss us old trapliners can't quit looking for another way to touch fur! I'm 63 and I put the few traps my brother had on my back when I was7 or 8.He was in a cast to his hip and on crutches and 10 yrs older then me. I've done a line for a few years at a time but have moved around too much and a pipeliner can work 7 - 12's and trap to.I've been still for a couple of years and these big dogs keep popping up to tease me.I'd share my range with you if I could.I have 15 to 640yds from my front deck and no body waiting.I could do well over 1000yds but the driver to the target across the canyon would be too long. Your creedmore sounds like a great rigg and the groups are another example of how that round shoots. Have fun!!!!!

tclose, we've got some things in common and I'd love to share the range with ya if it were possible ( may be even a beer )that is great to have it so you can shoot without leaving the house. I had just gathered up what trapping stuff that was in a shed 3 weeks ago and a guy is taking it to a trapper gathering in a month or so to sell. Some of it was in good shape from being waxed when put up, some the boys left in there was not great but certainly useable. It brought back a flood of memories for me.
The range I shoot at is 9 miles away but if someone is on the 200yd line you cannot shoot from 500yd, not enough room on the land the club owns. I live in the hills of southern Indiana and I would have to drive 60 miles to Fort Knox to shoot further than 500yd and then you can only shoot when another club is having a shoot. The next closest place is a 100 miles to shoot a 1,00yds.
I've got a custom 300win mag that I let my son and grandson shoot at 936yrds when I was in Oregon last year Elk hunting with them( no luck ). I'd love to be able to shoot 1,000yds with it and the Creedmoor on a regular basis.
The 7 days a week is not a whole lot of fun, but a guy does what he has to do. I was a Iron Worker for 30 years and worked pretty close to 7 days a week my last 12 to 15 years so I never had a lot of time either except for a couple months each year maybe. I had to take disability, broke and wore out parts caught up with me after 30 years of abuse.

Have a good'n my friend. Jesse

Yes,Jesse,I feel your pain! An old Britt motorcycle racer told me when we watched the old men on old bikes race at Sears Point,"we pay for our fun later on"! As for your hunting in Oregon,Hells Canyon is in the way of a quick trip to that state.I'm in western Idaho,up the mountain between the Snake River and the Salmon. The 6.5 Creedmoor is hard for me to commit to because I have too many guns that I load with rl22(30-06,25-06,7mm mag,300 win mag and 300 ultra mag 165 gr)As a 25-06 and 30-06 shooter it only made sence to rebarrel one of the 3 30-06's to 6.5-06.I bought a Ruger M77 in 30-06 at a gun show a few years back and for $300.It made me smile wide until I shot it and couldn't hit a 5 gal. bucket twice in a row at 50 yds.The barrel had been ported and the crown was gone.So,I bought a takeoff barrel and an action wrench & barrel vise and rebarreled back to original.It shoots great,but,so does the Browning A-Bolt(the 26" barrel one that isn't in the catologe).Now,I just bought a TCR-83 in 30-06 and now have 3.The easiest to convert is the Ruger and with a die set and neck turner,I could have a 6.5 with near same balistic as the creedmoor.Then I wouldn't have to buy another rifle.I'm glad we run into each other here! I have this place to myself and go a couple of miles down the mountain to my brothers when the solitude get to be too much.This is good for my head!! Have fun,Jesse!! The valley quail rooster on the deck rail and the whitetail faws racing in the front yard as I write this ......Well,it's not so bad!!!​

tclose, you are right there in the heavens very own yard. My son is a policeman in Portland Or. and has been in your area rafting and camping few times. He has nothing but great things to say about the area and would be more than happy to retire there he has said. One of his son's was camping in that general area this past summer for a week. (not sure eactly where) From all the pictures Ive seen it is truely beautiful there.
I have always wanted a 25-06, that should be a good round for you for wolf. The 7mag is a great long range gun as well and I've heard nothing but good things about the 6.5-06. There are just too many great guns out there and only so much funds..:)
I got the Creedmoor to shoot some types of matches they have at the club that you have to use a AR platform. I liked it better than a AR in .308 because of the accuracy and extended range out of it. It is fairly new to me and I've been pretty happy with it so far, I have just this week got dies for it.

Idaho reminds me of a ole Indian prayer were he says while praying, "In old age walking on a trail of beauty, living again may I walk". He wanted to live to old age so he would have the wisdom to appreciate all the things and the beauty around him. A lot of truth in that.

Have a good'n

Ahhh,your so right about all the guns,Jesse!!! If you haven't run into the TCR-83 or 87,you are lucky!It was a have to have!The rifle is between the T/C contender and their Encore.A compact european style single shot w/ a shotgun type action.Double set adjustable trigger.I have a contender carbine in 223 and 2 Encores w/ 5 barrels in 4 calibers from 22-250 to 300 win mag.This rifle w/ a 30-06 & a 7mm mag barrel is far and above the other T/C's as far as quality.The origenal barrels have a glass finnished blue that makes you want to pick it up.With the trigger ajusted to around 5 ounces when set,it's a tack drive from a good rest or bipod.If I had 22-250 and 25-06 barrels for it I'd have my favorites in 3 rifles.Well,maybe 4 or 5!!I plan on trying the 7mm on deer this year to see what kind of hole it makes.It reeeealy likes 139gr SST's out to 550yds and forget the circles on the buckmaster.The 9 twist bore makes that 139gr about the lower limit.The 23" barrel means big flame out the barrel with heavy pills and slow powders.I could shoot the little guy's but barrel life might suffer.I don't need another barrel burner to worry about and I what to save this gun for our topic here!!The big dog is out there!!! If we can share info here you could let me know when your out this way by email and we could tip a cold one in a toast to fine rifles! I'll work on that! I have family in Portland! Have fun and good luck at the shoots!

This for the guy who wants to get EXTREAM and hands on with MR. WOLF.

Attachments

• 7inch case.JPG
    7inch case.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 127
The platform for this round sound great,but,where would you find bullets for reloading for it?? I couldn't find one in .234.It's a Lapua bullet I take it??What weights and types are there?With 22-250 and .243/6mm all great rounds and readily available, it must have something special going for it.