Ideal 7mm 7mmRem, 7lrm, 28Nosler

ChewMT

Formerly 'chrischew'
I'm looking to re-purpose my Remington 700 Long range in 300 WM. The gun turned out to just be a little too heavy for me this season.

So between these three cartridges which would you chose. I know the specs on the cartridges such as case capacity, performance, components, etc. I'm more interested in the intangibles that many don't often talk about. Such as ease of tuning, temp sensitivity, seating depth sensitivity, brass life, loading with long COAL...

Keep in mind the following:

-I'm using a 26" barrel (I can't go longer because with a brake it's already ridiculously long)

-I"ll be loading the rounds with a COAL of ~3.6, so I'll have my throat cut for that.

-I'm using a 3 or 3b contour Bartlein, have yet to decide on flutes

-Seeing bullet trace is something I really am hoping to achieve with this, going with a Nightforce SHV 5-20

-I want the power to kill an elk at 1000 (I don't need a lecture in ethics. I think all three of these cartridges can do it especially with the long COAL just want confirmation)

A little more on my decision. I had originally planned on doing a heavy 300WM build and even bought the barrel, which will be for sale. However after Antelope season I decided lugging that rifle around was a terrible idea. Additionally the thought of a 28" barrel plus a muzzle brake would be way too long and snag on tons of branches. I put in 20 days Elk hunting this year before filling my tag and walked a **** ton of miles through some pretty thick stuff.

Then all of a sudden my buddy was hunting with a friend who shot a Mulie at 1359 with a 7SAUM. That got me thinking towards a 7mm rifle because of its reduced recoil and I wouldn't lose as much with 2" less barrel. Hence my dilemma.

I have owned two 7mm rem mags, one a custom heavy *** contour that sucked to carry but shot great, and my current 7mm is a tikka t3 super light that I am absolutely in love with!

I can tell you that loading for both rifles has been easy, and exceptional accuracy (sub 1/2 MOA for both rifles) was obtained with minimal tinkering.

That being said I also have a 700 in 338 RUM that I am seriously thinking about re-barreling to 28 Nosler. I think the 28 Nosler combined with the 195 Berger would fill the long range elk killing niche better than a 7mm rem mag, and would have much less recoil than the seriously overkill 338 RUM.

That was probably no help, I guess I would say get both..

Go with the 7mm RemMag. It's been a proven contender since 1962.

Twist it with a 1:8 twist. Also the Bartlein #4 fluted is nearly the same weight as the 3B, but will give you less whip with a magnum cartridge. With this setup, the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters will be your best bet for what you're looking to do.

Go with the 7mm RemMag. It's been a proven contender since 1962.

Twist it with a 1:8 twist. Also the Bartlein #4 fluted is nearly the same weight as the 3B, but will give you less whip with a magnum cartridge. With this setup, the new Berger 195 Elite Hunters will be your best bet for what you're looking to do.
+1 . Brass availability, price, load data and point of diminishing returns.
I'm building a 7SAUM which wasn't my ideal choice but the barrel was a deal. 100 FPS won't matter and I think I can get nearly the same FPS with an LA build anyway. Since weight is an issue with you, maybe a SA build might make sense and use Norma 300 necked or Nosler. Just a thought since you are trying to move away from a big heavy build. Might even look at the 180s for recoil, whip and not being tied to 195s.
Also your idea of trace and a 7mm will necessitate a 30 lb rig I would ASSume.

Of the three I was leaning towards 7 rem mag. I think I'd just load 180s though. I'm not sure if I'd gain much by going with 195s till well past a 1000k. Just have not read much about guys loading them that long ~3.6".

One more thought, and a happy medium for power and economy, would be the 7-300 win.
I don't know a lot about this round but from what I've read it's a simple process to neck down 300 win mag cases to 7mm.
This would get you closer to 28 Nosler performance, and you would have a use for all of your 300 win cases.

What about a 7mm Blaser Magnum? It's pretty much a ballistic twin to the 7mm Rem mag. and is nearly identical in case capacity with only a very slight edge over the 7Rem Mag. The case, is not belted which is a huge plus in my book, is a little shorter and fatter than a Rem mag case so in a long action there is plenty of length. The 180 Bergers just touching has an OAL of 3.265. Norma makes the brass and it was pretty easy to find at the typical online stores.

Defensive Edge just built me one on a Rem 700 LA that used to be a Rem LSS 300 Win mag. The factory laminated stock is fairly heavy and we all know what NF NXS scopes way so those two items didn't do it any favors on the scale, but with the 26in. Hart #4 fluted and HS Detachable mag setup it weighs 10.5lbs. A different stock and scope could easily make this a 8.5lb gun.

Shoots the 180 Bergers 3050fps w/RL26 into the .3's It's possible N570 will do a little better on velocity but haven't tried any yet and even if it doesn't, can't really complain with where it's at now.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.PNG
    IMG_0769.PNG
    162.9 KB · Views: 133
What about a 7mm Blaser Magnum? It's pretty much a ballistic twin to the 7mm Rem mag. and is nearly identical in case capacity with only a very slight edge over the 7Rem Mag. The case, is not belted which is a huge plus in my book, is a little shorter and fatter than a Rem mag case so in a long action there is plenty of length. The 180 Bergers just touching has an OAL of 3.265. Norma makes the brass and it was pretty easy to find at the typical online stores.

Defensive Edge just built me one on a Rem 700 LA that used to be a Rem LSS 300 Win mag. The factory laminated stock is fairly heavy and we all know what NF NXS scopes way so those two items didn't do it any favors on the scale, but with the 26in. Hart #4 fluted and HS Detachable mag setup it weighs 10.5lbs. A different stock and scope could easily make this a 8.5lb gun.

Shoots the 180 Bergers 3050fps w/RL26 into the .3's It's possible N570 will do a little better on velocity but haven't tried any yet and even if it doesn't, can't really complain with where it's at now.
If my SAUM will throw even 3 180 Bergers into .3 with any velocity over 2850 I'm gonna be good to go. I would take that RL26 load and not spend the $ or throat to see if N570 is better lol. That's a heck of a combo.

+1 on adding the 7mm Blaser Magnum to your short list for all the reasons B23 mentioned.
Nice case design, quality brass, runs in std length action, Norma even loads ammo for it, & list load data in their manual for it.
Berger also worked up some load data for the 180's & 195's for me, so they should have that available.
Im having one built currently in an Improved version, & it should weigh in under 8.5#
& Looks like it runs the 180's well at 3050 for B23.:),. Should run the 175 ELDX, or 175 Berger Elite at 3100:D
Brass & dies are avail, std reamer print is on file.

Last edited:
dave 6.5, you are spot on with the 175 ELD-X. I gave Shawn some 175 ELD-X bullets to mess with if he had time when he was building my 7 Blaser Mag. He never shot a group with them but he ran them up to see where pressure would be so I'd know what max was with RL26 and he started to get a slight ejector mark at 3125fps with those 175's.

Defensive Edge has done a few rifles for me now, they always shoot wayyyy better than I can and they have the fastest turn around time of any builder I've ever used, from drop off to pick up, it was barely 3 months.

7 R.E.M. 28 in proof research, 8.22 twist
195 Berger rl 33 and n 570 2950 with room to go just started playing with it.
I have a Wyatt box and troughs is cut for 180 hybrid

That load is 69.5 h 1000 fed 215m 3050 es in single digits.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts