ICON Update

Outlaw6,
Sorry for not replying, have been shooting the ICON and not getting much office time. Will send you some new images of the rifle and info on accuracy. We shot out to 700 today and the little rifle did very well. We shot my .308 Win. with BHA 175 match ammo and got excellent accuracy, but it kicks enough to warrant an extra pad for your shoulder.

I have just recieved the new issue of American Rifleman and they have an updated article in it that says this. The chambered offering's in 30T/C (Tested), Rem.22-250, .243Win. and .308Win. the rifleing will be six groove 1:12 RH twist, Detachable Mag w/3rnd capacity, adj. trigger down to 2 1/2lbs and 14" LOP, OAL of gun will be 44" the weight will be right at 7lbs. 7ozs. and the Suggested Retail Price of $1025.00

In the article it talks about taking the rifle to Africa and 10 hunters are using the rifle chambered in 30T/C. It says that 10 hunters shot 63 animals and 6 of them where never recovered stating that shot placement was questionable.

I might also add there test shot group weren't to promising
Rh

Rotor,
I have 105 rounds through the .308 Win. and it is shooting very well. Only fired two groups at 100 yards after break-in, first was a hair over .5" and the second went 0.39". Have shot it on steel much more, out to 700. Actual drops with BHA 175's are:
Distance MOA
200 yards +2.0
300 yards +5.5
400 yards +8.0
500 yards +11.5
600 yards +15.75
700 yards +19.5

This rifle has the tendency to keep the first shot in the group, very nice to have that. First shot two days in a row hit the my steel plate at 700 yards, other shots hit the same position on the steel. Won't shoot groups until I have about 200 rounds through the bore, want to get it smoothened out and settled down.

I believe this rifle is capable of excellent out of the box accuracy, but will not know for a while. Will report how it goes.

Rotor,
I have 105 rounds through the .308 Win. and it is shooting very well. Only fired two groups at 100 yards after break-in, first was a hair over .5" and the second went 0.39". Have shot it on steel much more, out to 700. Actual drops with BHA 175's are:
Distance MOA
200 yards +2.0
300 yards +5.5
400 yards +8.0
500 yards +11.5
600 yards +15.75
700 yards +19.5

This rifle has the tendency to keep the first shot in the group, very nice to have that. First shot two days in a row hit the my steel plate at 700 yards, other shots hit the same position on the steel. Won't shoot groups until I have about 200 rounds through the bore, want to get it smoothened out and settled down.

I believe this rifle is capable of excellent out of the box accuracy, but will not know for a while. Will report how it goes.

That sounds much better than what I read in Rifleman. I'm looking to buy a new gun for my dad this Christmas and I'm considering this one as one of my choices along with a couple others. I want to buy him a real nice rifle but not a bruzer if you know what I mean The 308 or 7-08 or better yet 260. I'll be interested in what you report over the next couple months. If I have decided by christmas there is always his birthday or fathers day. Do you know what other caliber they have plans for in the future?

Rh

I believe they will be struggling to build enough on the short action for a while. No doubt there will be variations of the ICON down the road but right now they are trying to get at the orders they were swamped with at the SHOT show.
You cannot go wrong with one of these rifles, simple as that. Hopefully they will be on gunshelves soon, hunting season is fast approaching.
I will get some images shortly.

DSC_00091.jpg

DSC_00081.jpg

DSC_00051.jpg

These should come up, I hope. These are from Ian M.

This is a production model correct? I was hoping that the action would be more like what the prototype looked? Can't tell from the photo but is there only 1 mounitng spot on the rear reciever? Or can you move it forward some?

Thank you for posting those images. There are two cross-slots front and back, I put the rings in the farthest front and rear slots. That rifle has some nice wood and the bluing is exceptional - typical TC bluing. The receiver has been lightened a bit, but is still pretty much like the prototypes.
ian

Not sure where they shipped rifles to date but unstand there are a bunch going at a fairly steady basis. I believe that number is a bit low as per how many critters died during the ICON test. This is easily the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shot, my rifle is shooting BHA match ammo into one hole at 100 yards. Hate to state any numbers yet, will when I have more groups shot but they are little teenie groups!!!

Here is something I just put on Kifaru.net.

I have been shooting the new ICON for a total of two days and am very impressed with this rifle (I know, I am biased but...). TC has made a significant change, and improvement, from the prototypes - they have come up with a better detachable magazine and trigger-guard, bottom metal assembly. Probably should not have used the term metal, this unit is space-age polymer and it is excellent. I was concerned about "plastic" parts going on the ICON, these are not Mickey Mouse parts, they are very solid, fit beautifully and function better than any detachable magazine I have worked with to date. The mag holds three rounds and when loaded with three the bolt still moves the cartridge ahead almost effortlessly. Another great feature is that the mag spring is slightly compressed when in place, so when you push the release button it jumps into your palm. Very slick, very reliable and I expect it will stand-up. Magazine is polycabonate also, very well made and handy. Never thought I would agree with plastic parts on a high quality rifle, but this works.

Trigger is superb, I have not weighed pressure yet but it is light and crisp. Stock is walnut, very nicely figured walnut, about perfect fit, including the curve of the pistol grip for my large hand. Action is slick and smooth, extraction has been reliable through two boxes of BHA match 175's during barrel break-in and some shooting to get drops out to 500 yards today. Accuracy is sub-moa by a significant standard. Three shot group at 500 was less than 3" in ugly wind conditions (4 moa windage or 20" of drift but very gusty).

Only negs are a little bit of bluing salts coming out of the barrel/receiver joint and the barrel is not exactly centered in the barrel channel. You have to look close to see the barrel bedding and the salts are easily cleaned up with a Q-Tip and some oil, plus my handy Midway picks. Also the rifle kicks... I am used to 15+ pound long range rifles complete with barrels that look like jack-all handles and stocks that are very close to being clubs. The big rifles soak up the recoil from the mighty .308 Win. but the ICON lets you know when it lets go. I put on my Filson sissy-pad and all was well. Same goes for the .30 TC, although the recoil seems easier to handle in my opinion.

I am shooting a Leupold Mark 4 3-9 MRT and also a Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS on the ICON, both work nicely. Both are one pound scopes and they feature superb turrets that enable very precise long range shooting.

Today my friend made several hits on a steel drum set up at 940 yards with his heavy .308 Win. and 168 AMAX bullets. The angle of the bullets coming down was so steep some of them went into the open top of the drum instead of bouncing off. Nine minutes of wind so drift was about 80 inches, elevation was 28 minutes so the bullets were dropping over 250 inches. Would not want to have been out there, his rifle was shooting very consistently at over one-half mile. Who says the .308 will not reach way out there. I did not shoot the ICON that far but I intend to next session (was letting the barrel cool when he started on the 940 yard target).

Ian, I was out at the range again today and recoverd these from inside the 940 drum.
Sept407001.jpg

This one was from a previous day found in the dirt @ 940.
Sept407004.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.