Ibex

midwesthunter

Thinking of starting to look into this hunt in NM. Anyone know if it can be done on public land? Would rather do a DIY hunt. Or if anyone knows of any free range hunts in the states, only place I can think might be TX?

The New Mexico hunt is EXTREMELY hard to draw. I would have to check but its less than a 5% chance to draw for the rifle tag. Archery is a little better chance to draw but good luck getting close enough! I don't know of any outfitters though. With the regular rifle tag, the only place that you are allowed to hunt them is on the Florida mountains. You can actually get an OTC tag and hunt any area but the Florida Mountains but I work in all those areas and have never seen any anywhere else but on the Florida mountain area.

Ya found two outfitters, archery tag is like a 30% chance draw, one outfitter has been 20% success on archery hunts. Would like to find some roaming out in TX somewhere

Dennis Kauffman has an outfitter down in Sac mountains... He has a billy goat for a guide named Dennis. He is the only guy I know that has an Ibex with a bow.

Look him up and see what he says...
Mario

I live about 50 miles from the ROCK what are you looking for. Just be aware that there are going to be a significant amount of changes with hunting the FL... It has been become a zoo up there with Outfitters pushing animals by firing shots to move animals. IMO it is not a place for a rookie or someone that isn't supported somehow. Every year they pull someone off the ROCK because they get hurt. If you do come out please bring repelling gear.. I am tired of animals being shot and not being recovered because they can't get to the animal...

Not trying to be a downer but things have really gone downhill since people have found out about the hunts...

J

Jamaro makes a good point. Admittedly I have not seen it all, but the Floridas may be the most rugged spot in North America, seriously.

Ibex hunting in the Floridas is possible and there is good public access. But, you must be in good condition, not be afraid of heights, be aware that Ibex live in nose bleed country. Look at the Floridas on Google earth. To draw a tag can be difficult and may take some time. MTG

+1 on it being a tough hunt
I've been on the hunt a couple times with other people and can guarantee it aint easy. Steep country and a lot of loose rock. Last years draw odds for the rifle hunt were .4%. Yep point 4%. Also the mountain they call home is a long way fromTexas and i dont think any have made it over the state line. Heck, they hardly survive making it off the Floridas because of the unlimited year round tags for the areas surrounding their home. With all this i still believe it would be a very rewarding hunt, so if you decide to procede and do draw out pm me and ill try to give you some more info..

There used to be a pretty good group of sheep in the Hatchets and one in the Dona Ana mountains.. But you are right those unlimited tags sure did a number on them... The Tres Hermanas also used to have a lot... The population goal was around 300 animals but it is WAY above that now..
J

My little brother drew this tag first try. I just hate lucky people. I've applied 5 times. Google Earth doesn't do the country justice. Not big mountains but they are steep and lots of loose rock. Both slides and worse loose rocks covered by grass. He was working on a tight time line. He ended up shooting one the late the first afternoon. Not the biggest one we saw. He missed out on a bigger one screwing around with video camera. I think we saw 130 the first day. Wind blew hard 1st day and the next morning while packing it out. His shot was 490 yds. We saw one group of 80 or so at just over a 1000 yds. But it wouldn't have been right shooting with the wind conditions present.
IMG_0162.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.