I was warned !

Iron Worker

Took my new Ruger Redhawk.480 out. 1st loads were 10grs of unique behind a 345gr cast. They were equivalent of medium 44 mag loads. Then 26grs of Alliant 2400 behind same bullet ! Holy Shi-- ! am I still alive ? I was wearing padded shooting gloves ,Hogue Tamer grips,didn't help one bit . I won't be loading that load again. So I wonder if mag na porting will help ?

Always said you iron workers were just soft :) Toughen up and go for it.

On a serious note on magnaporting. It will help some with the muzzle jump but in my opinion it doesn't do much for recoil. Them big boomers just kill on both ends when you pull the trigger.

I don't know what to say except. Glad you are still here. That is quite a hot load.

Alliants new online reloading manual is really great.

i shoot 26.5gr of 2400 in my 10" barrel contender all the time, yup they're a bit snotry but my 500 S&W pushing the 400gr bullet is far worse to hang on to.
big difference is 10" barrel on the contender vs 4" which is ported on the Smoke and Wesson.
Nobody said they would painless, but they sure are fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.