I Was Given 7x61 S&H!!!

Pastor Gun.zales

7x61 S&H Reel

Yesterday I walked into a LGS and they discovered that I was the one that recently purchased a Schultz & Larsen M60 chambered in 7x61 S&H. The clerk said "Hold on a minute, I'll be right back."

When he came back, he had a small container of factory loaded Norma 7x61 S&H. Apparently a gentleman had looked at the rifle earlier, and was going to buy it if he could find ammo. He went to a gun show that weekend, found this small container, bought it, went back to the store to get the rifle, and I had already bought the rifle.

Well, he gave the LGS the container, and yesterday they gave it to me! I'm still going to get dies and brass, but it is awesome that I can now shoot this rifle sooner rather than later.

How many of you have seen 7x61 S&H/Super before... because this is a first for me. Here are some pics of the 7x61 between 7x57 and 7mmRemMag. It's just a tad shorter than 7mmRemMag.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 178
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    702.2 KB · Views: 183
I have a custom Mauser 98 commercial action barreled rifle in 7x61 S&H. It appears to have been smithed in the 60s. Anyway, very accurate shooter. I got it at a very reasonable price due to the age and caliber. I have a lot of very nice rifles but would never trade this one away,. as it is just a true pleasure owning this old classic. Load data is available in the older Hornady books and others. Nothing hard about this except getting ammo and brass. Even that is not super hard to do. The nice thing about mine it is a 10" twist versus the slower twist of the S&L guns. Hope you enjoy it.

Cool cartridge. I've never shot 1 even though I've shot a LOT of 7mm's over the years. There is data out there if you look a bit. I'm sure a couple of my older manuals have it. IRRC the brass has a bit thinner wall for more case capacity and if you reform 7rem you might be dropping the charge weights a bit.

I have a custom Mauser 98 commercial action barreled rifle in 7x61 S&H. It appears to have been smithed in the 60s. Anyway, very accurate shooter. I got it at a very reasonable price due to the age and caliber. I have a lot of very nice rifles but would never trade this one away,. as it is just a true pleasure owning this old classic. Load data is available in the older Hornady books and others. Nothing hard about this except getting ammo and brass. Even that is not super hard to do. The nice thing about mine it is a 10" twist versus the slower twist of the S&L guns. Hope you enjoy it.
When I discovered that this Schultz & Larsen was a 1:12 twist I was a little saddened, but then again I only paid $400 for it lol.

I have discovered several loads for it already in my old Hornady and Lyman books, and it shoots great! Now to get more brass

I used to have one on a 98 Mauser. I made brass from 7mm rem mag brass, trim and size. It worked well. I have always thought it was a better designed case than the 7mm rem mag.
The 7mm Rem Mag IS simply the .264 Win Mag necked up for a '7mm' bullet. I have read that the ammo provided by Remington for initial gunwriter testing actually used original Winchester-made .264 Win Mag head-stamped cases which had been necked up.
The Sharpe & Hart cartridge case is well-proven and just looks right. I have never heard any whinging about resizing issues.
My original NZDA branch has a 200m deer target shooting competition with a nice big plated trophy in the shape of a 7x61 cartridge on a wooden base. I won that competition one year, on a nice windy day😁. Very happy to show off that trophy for the better part of a year!

7x61 S&H Reel

Yesterday I walked into a LGS and they discovered that I was the one that recently purchased a Schultz & Larsen M60 chambered in 7x61 S&H. The clerk said "Hold on a minute, I'll be right back."

When he came back, he had a small container of factory loaded Norma 7x61 S&H. Apparently a gentleman had looked at the rifle earlier, and was going to buy it if he could find ammo. He went to a gun show that weekend, found this small container, bought it, went back to the store to get the rifle, and I had already bought the rifle.

Well, he gave the LGS the container, and yesterday they gave it to me! I'm still going to get dies and brass, but it is awesome that I can now shoot this rifle sooner rather than later.

How many of you have seen 7x61 S&H/Super before... because this is a first for me. Here are some pics of the 7x61 between 7x57 and 7mmRemMag. It's just a tad shorter than 7mmRemMag.

Never seen one before! I gotta ask…does it have like a weatherby style curvy shoulder? I could have swore I was looking at a weatherby cartridge at first glance but it is indeed shorter.

Cool find!

7x61 S&H Reel

Hello PGS,
I may have the dies you need. Unfortunately I am out of town. I will be back the end of this week & I'll check my inventory. Meanwhile let me know if you still need them

Regards

Recent Posts