I've been given the ultimatum...Barnes?

Lead poisoning in children is a serous problem and it only takes a small piece to affect a child for the rest of his or her life.

That must be my problem. I spent a lot of my childhood trout fishing, with a couple split shots in my mouth, so I could easily adjust for deeper/shallower holes. :D

AJ

Shoot the cutting edge bullets. Tell her they are $15 each and since you are trading bullets you need to change barrels to get the proper twist rate. Since you are changing twist rate you need to change the chambering to compensate. The new chambering requires a different case to get the new bullet to the same speed as the old bullet. The new chambering will require a different action that can only be custom made by BAT, Stiller..... and they are only inletted for manners or mcmillan stocks. So the trade to SAFE FOR FAMILY bullets is easy and you will gladly make the change, you need $4 kilobucks for the gun, $500 for bullets and a week at the range to get back to your starting point but you are willing to make the sacrifice for the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been shooting the Barnes TSX bullet in 25 caliber for more than a few years now. I don't feel they will expand and transfer as much energy as most normal bullets, given the same impact velocity, but they do penetrate. IMO, we've gotta keep the impact velocity over 1900'/sec for them to open and act like they are designed to act. This is based on antelope lung shots at long distance.

To compensate for lack of expansion and energy transfer on lung shots I used a lighter weight and pushed it faster. That did the trick until the range got over 500/600 yds, then the lower BC started affecting the impact speed.Now there's the Tipped TSX which should perform slightly better than the old TSX when it comes to expansion, but I haven't tried them yet.........key word yet.

The Barnes TSX have shot good in my 25-06, but not everyone has had the same results. At least there are other options if they don't shoot well in your gun. There's a few different "non lead" bullets out there on the market now.

Just let her know the bullets will be more expensive and you'll maybe have to shoot quite a few of them to get back to where you currently are.

Personally, I am more concerned with bone fragments in my meat than any amount of lead, but if we or the processor cut out the blood shot and fragmented portions then it's not a concern IMO. I cut up my own meat for alot of years and the bloodshot extended well past the wound cavity and any meat that had been in contact with lead.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.