I want to get into duck hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 112772
  • Start date
First decide pump or auto loader. I started with a pump and went auto loader. Now I carry my pump as a spare and I forget to pump it. Buy a 3 1/2 unless you're convinced you'll never use it. If you run out of shells or a friend hands you a shell in a hurry you know you can shoot it. I have gone back to shooting my 1187 after buying a sbe ii. Too many benelli clicks and misfires due to it not being on my shoulder properly.

I have used all types of shotgun action types and currently use a Beretta O/U Water Fowler, that has a heavey coating on the metal from the factory (pre-CeraKote days) and the stock has been bent/fitted per my shooting try-gun specs. My backup is a Benelli M1.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend it have a rib on the
barrel, as it provides a much improved/easier sighting plane. Also, if you go with an 870, select a model with some action smoothing, not the "Express". I do not know the name or model #. Research the model and look for a used one. Also, any used 870 will be smoother than a new one, not just from quality issues, but from repeated cycling. It will add reliability and enjoyment. Not an abused beater, but maybe a few years old. Your practicing with a new one will smooth out a new one as well. Synthetic stock has been mentioned and I agree with that, again for reliability and enjoyment.

The one advantage to a 3 1/2" chamber is that steel shells are less expensive than the advanced technology non-steel 3" shells. Compare ammo costs before deciding on chamber. 3" 870's will be less money than 3 1/2" ones. Just bringing this up to accomodate budget decisions.

A floating fabric gun case is nice. End of season sale. Jan/Feb is a good time to purchase firearms.

Practicing with clay targets thrown by machines is fun and repeatable. It costs and may be far from home. A group of friends and a plastic hand thrower is easy and also fun. Quick and easy to change angles. Also, some missed clay targets can be reused. Throwing is fun, rotate through the group. If the field will be cultivated, no problem. Otherwise, look for clay targets that will break down quickly/quicker.

Last edited:
As others have said, you can't go wrong with a Benelli Super Nova or Remington 870. I would however recommend getting something with a 3-1/2" chamber.

You're picking a terrible couple of years to get into duck hunting. The past 2 seasons have been miserable for us.
If you're wanting a pump shotgun I would recommend a browning bps with a 3.5" chamber
..love mine..its a reliable smooth tank or an old remington wingmaster. The newer remington expresses are junk...I had one far different animal than the old school ones

Stay away from banded waders..they leak, and mercury outboards are not good duck boat getter there-ers

Spend the extra money and find you a Benelli M1 H&K import. That 4th shell helps out a lot in the timber to finish a limit.

Send it to Rob Roberts, have him do his magic on it.

Reloaded high brass #9s are a ducks worst nightmare.

What ever you do buy a gun that shoots 2 3/4 , 3 inch and 3 1/2 shells. Do it right the first time. If you don't you will regret it. Those long shells really do a number on geese and ducks at 50 yards. You will never be under gun. Go with a Remington 870 pump or a Stoger 3500 auto for 639.00 at Scheels. That's what I have. Marty.

You say ducks now but what about when you want to shot pigs or even deer with it with 200gr slugs, can be a rifled sabot or smooth bore sabot.

Switch barrels are a possibility so I would look into that with some of those Rem 870's

You guys are so lucky over there, pump action shotguns, self loading shotguns here are on a different class of licence that has to be applied for & criteria met of which probably 90% of mainstream people aren't allowed own.

Yet we can have a pump action .308 rifle :eek:

Go figure :rolleyes:

The masses here can only own an U/O, SxS, lever action or straight pull.

Stupid laws here :(

Me, if I could even consider something outside of our laws it would be a nice Browning A5 at the top of the list, a pump would be next in the list.

There are a lot of different loads out there for hunting as well don't forget!
I use things like 00sg's as well boars & a heavier field load for foxes.

If your out your going to see more than ducks :D

so many more options with a gun that shoots 3 1/2 shells.
I have been duck hunting many many years. I live in Muscatine Iowa and I think it is ground zero for waterfowl hunting out of a boat and use to live in North Dakota ground zero I think for waterfowl hunting in pot holes and ground blinds. You never want to be under gun when the birds are flying. If you ever go snow goose hunting I am positive you will see days were you need to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. Same with big Canada golf course geese. Any one can kill a brant with 2 3/4 shell. I even use the 3 1/2 inch shells for turkey hunting , coyote hunting. If want to loan the gun to some one to shoot a round of trap or pheasant hunt let them use the 2 3/4 shell. All about Options , options , options. Sure there is days you only need a 2 3/4 inch shell but more often than not the 3 1/2 shell is the choice. I have 4 friends in Iowa that all hunt out of a 24 foot camo / brushed up pontoon boat. This last year waterfowl Season they killed 400 ducks and 89 geese. All shoot Remington 3 1/2 shells. Plus if you live in a shotgun only state for deer or draw a non-resident $400.00 deer tag you can shoot a 3 inch deer slug. Don't make a mistake and not buy the 3 1/2 inch gun. 2 years ago I was hunting in ND in a coffin Blind.
10 minutes after day light a big old coyote ran by me and I shot him at 47 yards. Dropped him like a sack of hammers.
I don't know we're the shot hit him but no blood or anything , perfect pelt on him.
We went to town for lunch and fur buyer was there. Buyer gave me $80.00 for coyote not skinned.
I about fell over. That $80.00 was more the enough to make up the cost for gun that shoots 3 1/2 shells.
iIcannot believe anyone would give up that option when your going to buy a new gun and just entering waterfowl hunting. If you already had a 2 3/4 or maybe 3 inch gun live with it. But buying a new gun and not going with the long shell....... poor plan. Marty

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.