I want to get into duck hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 112772
  • Start date
Franchi Affinity 3 , 26"'barrel is my go to. My brothers always loved their Remington 1187 until they shot my affinity. Cycles faster , kicks less , weighs less and has proven more reliable. And the 26" barrel wasn't what I wanted but no 28" in stock the day I bout it. After shooting it I live it. Waterfowl ammo has come long way and more than makes up for the 2" barrel loss. And it's just swings so nice and fast for me I'd never go back to 28" . I see the affinity as the working mans benelli

If I was to be in the market for an 870 today it would be a used one.

I was impressed by the Franchi affinity I held, and it tempted me. Personally what I would (and did) do is buy an older Japanese made (1980s) Browning auto5 magnum and have Carlsons choke the barrel. Love that gun, and it chugs shells like a freight train.

Don't do it your about to spend a lot of money Great advice above Can't beat the 870 1187 work great in 3in model. Not so reliable in 3.5 models. In your price point also As stated you really won't need 3.5 ammo Great ammo out there these days 3in will work fine Look at some used guns. Can't shoot the barrel out on a shotgun Enjoy

I have had very good luck with the Beretta 390 and 3901. You can find them used all day long in the $500-600 range. They are gas operated and easy to clean. I've been hunting waterfowl with mine for about 20 years and it consistently cycles better than most guys guns in the duck blind. I've had benelli shotguns and have gone back to the Beretta. I feed mine a steady diet of 3" Kent #2 for geese and ducks. If the birds are in range and you aren't high gunning the 3" kills just fine. I have both the 26" and 28" barrels but personally prefer the 26". Either one will work fine. IMO any auto will jam on high volume shoot days in the rain if you don't clean it after every hunt.

All of the above suggestions are very good. Depending on where you are hunting simplicity and reliability are a huge consideration. Hunting mainly in OK, AR, and TX, all of which are higher humidity environments and not frozen for the majority of our season. We deal with a lot of mud, slop and wet, not much ice. In these environments it's hard to beat a Remington 870 or a Benelli (SBE, M1, M2). Both of these guns can be field stripped, but I have never had a problem with either. I am also not concerned about the ability to shoot 3.5" shells. I have never felt under gunned shooting 3", including big geese in Manitoba almost every year.

With a little searching you should be able to find a used Benelli in your price range. I prefer long barrels in my O/U's and SXS's, but a 26" barrel in the Benelli is fine, especially when you add a good wad-striping choke like the Patternmaster or Kicks. This will add a couple of inches to overall length. With the receiver being longer than a break gun the balance is fine. A shorter gun can be a little easier to deal with if you might hunt pit blinds, so staying under 30" is nice.

If you can find a used Benelli SBE1 or M1 in good condition it's a hard gun to beat.

Good luck.

I don't have a shotgun for hunting. What would be a good entry level shotgun? Any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.

Winchester sx3 gets my vote and DO NOT go the camo route a couple years of use and half the dang camo is rubbed off and now you have a highlighter waving around in the swamp. I used a 28 inch barrel with a kicks high flyer extended choke for years. Now that I've switched to a 26" Browning gold I don't like the long barrel gun. Bottom line go to the gun shop and shoulder all of them and pick the one that fits you the best then get a case of shells and shoot the heck out of the dang thing.

870 Wingmaster pump, yes
500 Mossberg pump, yes
Nice quality single shot, yes
Used side by side double trigger, yes
Used field grade over under, yes
Automatic for a beginner, no

Rem 870 Wingmaster. Been shooting ducks with it well over 40 years. The newer less expensive Express 870 is not as slick or pretty but works just the same. Over the years, I have accumulated O/U's, SXS's, auto's and Mossberg/Browning pumps but the 870 is my favorite for ducks. No need for 3.5" or even 3" shells. Shooting is just part of the art of duck hunting over decoys and getting them to set their wings. I prefer a little longer 28" barrel when duck hunting as I may be sitting next to a hunting buddy and muzzle blast can be an issue when swinging on ducks. There is a plethora of good options for shotguns now. As mentioned, try picking them up to see what fits you well.

Having hunted with (or with friends with) 870s, 500s, 1100s/11-87s, various Benelli models, a couple Berettas, Browning BPS & O/Us, some Mossbergs, several expensive boutique European guns, and more that I can't remember, my experience is that everything breaks at some point but there are some that are more reliable than others and reliability in a bird gun trumps all to me.

For non-semis, 870s and 500s are the best bet for an inexpensive shotgun. Older, used 870s are better finished than the new ones. A 500 is pretty much a 500. A good O/U gun is just as reliable but more expensive. I have seen too many of the "inexpensive" O/Us go down with broken small internal parts to want to buy one.

For semis, anything that uses the Benelli Inertia recoil operation system. You can go from Stoeger to Franchi to Benelli for price range. I would buy a used one as they just last and require little cleaning other than the barrel and wiping down/lubing the action since they are not gas operated. One of our deer lease members is a huge shotgunner who has several $25k shotguns. He hunts with a Benelli after going to Argentina and adding more than 2,000 rounds to a Benelli M2 with more than 2 Million documented rounds through it.

I currently use a Benelli M3 Super90 to hunt with and have a spare hunting barrel and chokes for a 500 (normally set up as a riot gun) in case I need a loaner gun. I will be selling the M3 (the version I have has become a somewhat desirable gun for people filling out collections as very few were imported) and replacing it with a Franchi or another Benelli (and funding something else with the remaining proceeds).

I will second the fact that 3.5" guns are not worth it unless you expect to try to hit geese and cranes at high altitude. I hunt turkey and geese with 3" shells and everything else with 2 3/4" shells.

Just my $0.02 and, as always, YMMV.

I don't hunt ducks much but my two kids go all the time. If you can
come up with the bucks a Browning 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. Maybe you
could pick one up used. If not then get a pump but it has to be 3 1/2
inch magnum because you have to use steel shot.
Zeke

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.