I want a scope with a wide FOV and long eye relief

7man

I started a previous thread about mounting scope plumb with the bore. Got some great responses, now I need help deciding on a scope. This rifle I bought, is a used Howa 1500 .338 win mag that came with a Swift 2-7x40. Scope has a nice field of view, but the eye relief is a little short for me and I find myself crawling up the stock to fill the view. The image seems a little 'bubly'. The crosshairs seem a little thick, but that's OK to me for a hunting rifle. I also called Swift to ask about their warranty. I was told, since I'm not the original purchaser, I could send it back to them for a discount on a new one. The discount would depend on the scope I sent back? So I'm not to thrilled about the warranty on this scope. By the way, what is the screw mounted at a 7 o'clock position by the turrets for?
I think this swift is decent, but if I can find a better scope that fits the wide field of view and long eye relief I want, I will go that route.
I plan on using this rifle for elk hunts, possibly a blacktail hunt where there's the possibility of running in with a kodiak. I don't need high magnification. I actually think 7 is perfect for hunting. 100-200 yard hunting shots and a possibility of needing it for close quarters defense.

Do I sound like I'm asking for a reasonable set of parameters for a scope? Should I stick with the Swift on here or does anyone know of a better option? Thank you.

I started a previous thread about mounting scope plumb with the bore. Got some great responses, now I need help deciding on a scope. This rifle I bought, is a used Howa 1500 .338 win mag that came with a Swift 2-7x40. Scope has a nice field of view, but the eye relief is a little short for me and I find myself crawling up the stock to fill the view. The image seems a little 'bubly'. The crosshairs seem a little thick, but that's OK to me for a hunting rifle. I also called Swift to ask about their warranty. I was told, since I'm not the original purchaser, I could send it back to them for a discount on a new one. The discount would depend on the scope I sent back? So I'm not to thrilled about the warranty on this scope. By the way, what is the screw mounted at a 7 o'clock position by the turrets for?
I think this swift is decent, but if I can find a better scope that fits the wide field of view and long eye relief I want, I will go that route.
I plan on using this rifle for elk hunts, possibly a blacktail hunt where there's the possibility of running in with a kodiak. I don't need high magnification. I actually think 7 is perfect for hunting. 100-200 yard hunting shots and a possibility of needing it for close quarters defense.

Do I sound like I'm asking for a reasonable set of parameters for a scope? Should I stick with the Swift on here or does anyone know of a better option? Thank you.

Well if you have deep pockets, and I'd say 6X is the all around number.. check into Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1 by Leuplod.

Cheer's

Personally I go for lots of magnification along with lots of field of view and plenty of eye relief. For that reason my .375 carries a Bushnell 6500 2 12/-16X. It has over forty feet and almost four inches of eye relief.

I like your choices of scopes. They look very top notch. So far if I had to choose, I'd pick the leupold, but like you said 436, if I had deep pockets. Holy moly for the price!
I'm in no hurry to make a decision now, so I'll take all the suggestions I can get. I've thought about the vortex 2-7x32 crossfire II and the 2-7x35 diamondback. The crossfire has the eye relief, but the diamondback has the field of view. Is there anything out there that has the best of both worlds out there for less than $400.00?

Look into the redfield revenge series scopes. Made by leupold now with the same great warranty. I have a revenge 6-18x44 and it has the best eye relief of any scope I own.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.