I have a newly purchased Savage 220f.

CHARLIEDUECE65

My first impression of the gun is that I like it. The camo stock is nice, length is just right for me (I'm 6'4), the gun balances nicely, and its fairly light. I put an EGW base on it and an old camo nikon buckmaster 3x9x40 I've had for a few years now on it as well. This seems like a nice match. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is when cycling the bolt it sounds pretty rough riding the rails. I put some bolt lube on it but it still seems rough. Hope it comes out of that. This is my first Savage so I'm not sure what to expect. I will post more when I actually get to the range with it.

Last edited:
My first impression of the gun is that I like it. The camo stock is nice, length is just right for me (I'm 6'4), the gun balances nicely, and its fairly light. I put an EGW base on it and an old camo nikon buckmaster 3x9x40 I've had for a few years now on it as well. This seems like a nice match. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is when cycling the bolt it sounds pretty rough riding the rails. I put some bolt lube on it but it still seems rough. Hope it comes out of that. This is my first Savage so I'm not sure what to expect. I will post more when I actually get to the range with it.

sit in front of your favorite tv show and work that bolt. took me a while to get it to the way i like it.

I am surprised they leave the factory this way. Do the 110 rifles sound rough when you cycle the bolt or is this just limited to the shotguns?

It can be a little messy, but you might try a little dry graphite powder on it until it gets broken in.

A little goes a long way.

J E CUSTOM

I went to the range today. I switched the scope out to a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12x40?. I used rem accu tip 2 3/4 inch shells. Weather was 38 degrees. I only shot 10 rounds total. 5 rounds at 25 and then another 5 at 100 yards without cleaning. ***Yeah, I know I should've cleaned it for break in but, there were alot of people at the range today, and I would have never been abe to finish at the rate they were shooting. Anyways, I am very impressed with the accuracy of this gun. There is very little recoil with this gun and it is pretty fun to shoot. I think my group was around 1 1/2 inches at 100yds. If the "old" guy next to me wouldn't have been constantly bumping the shooting bench we were on I know this gun could have done better. :cool: Note: You need to, like others have stated, rack the bolt hard to make sure of proper extraction and feed slowly.

Last edited:
I used the 220 deer hunting this season. Never saw any shooters from the stand. We did a few drives and I noticed numerous times while shooting at running deer I had extraction issues. The empty shotshell would stay stuck to the bolt face and would not extract the round from the receiver. I had to rack the bolt several times for it to eject the spent casing. Any suggestions on what to do about this. I know I read about this problem existing when the gun first came out but I figured Savage had fixed this issue. I'm impressed with the accuracy of this gun but not it's reliability. I called Savage about this problem. They stated they have not had any problems as I have explained. The problem they did have with the 220 was the round not extracting from the chamber. Mine appears to be an ejector issue or so Im told.

Last edited:
Hello Joe-
Savage most likely thinks people will shoot copper slugs or saboted lead slugs. The old muzzle loading Springfields of the Civil War era used a 1:70" twist, which shot soft lead slugs accurately. No leading, but I wonder if the slugs tumbled at around 300 yds? They left nasty wounds, even if they did not tumble. Velocity was around 950-1100 ft sec.
I am guessing that a 1:40 twist in the Savage 220 would stabilize the lead bullet rounds with good accuracy at deer hunting ranges.

I don't know. I know two guys personally(one a friend and the other I know but more a friend of friend) that bought the 220 stainless camo versions this summer. One of the guns shoots really good, less than 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and the other doesn't. My friends new 220 out of the box had a deep cut in the stock, there was no damage to the box it was in.That is also the one that doesn't shoot as good as mine or his friends. Savage is however replacing the stock, but he hasn't received it as of yet, and it's been several months now.:rolleyes:

A friend of mine just got one of these, we set it up at my place with EGW rings, bases and a nice leupold scope. Got her all leveled and true, took it to the range tried 5 different loads at 100 yards, 2 3/4" light fields and 3" federal were ragged holes. We went through the whole gun before the first shot checked for stress points and torque. Its a nice slug gun and he dropped a nice 7 pt with is on sat from 75 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts