I have a barrel and a trigger, guess I better build another rifle. Hope I donā€™t forget about it LOL!

I always seem to look for excuses to get another rifle. I have been known to just buy brass for a particular cartridge without having any other pieces to the puzzle. Random thoughts/desires (many coming from things I read on this forum) just provide a spark to purchase something. Need really has very little to do with these impulse buys.

Can't tell you how many times I have a single component, and go build a full custom off that one item.

Could be a stock, barrel, action...even once I just had a trigger!

My suggestion is get a less expensive custom action. Not an R700 to start with. Long gone are the times you can get a pawn shop R700 for $200-250 just for the action. Then true/square, extractor, recoil lug, Nitride or Cerakote all exceed the costs of a less expensive custom action, and it is still a Rem 700 action. Add the niceties like side bolt release, fluted bolt, tactical bolt knob, firing pin springs, etc., and you are now into it for more $ than some great custom options.

I did that 3 times, until I finally came.to my senses. If you already HAVE an R700, that helps a little bit.
Totally agree.
I'm in the same boat.
Just built my first totally custom this past year and now I wonder what to do about my "custom" 700's

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion I'm not the only one in the gun a month club.

After looking for actions, parts etc to build. I ran across Remington long range and Bergara HMR both for around a grand. Now I'm really confused lol. The Bergara HMR in 7mm PRC keeps calling my name. HMR is a lot of rifle for a grand.

I'm not above buying the Bergara and building a 300 WSM on a long action ! Look at it this way if I buy the Bergara I'll still have two Shilen 700 triggers lol.

I have issues!

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion I'm not the only one in the gun a month club.

After looking for actions, parts etc to build. I ran across Remington long range and Bergara HMR both for around a grand. Now I'm really confused lol. The Bergara HMR in 7mm PRC keeps calling my name. HMR is a lot of rifle for a grand.

I'm not above buying the Bergara and building a 300 WSM on a long action ! Look at it this way if I buy the Bergara I'll still have two Shilen 700 triggers lol.

I have issues!
Since you are looking for a long range paper puncher, the HMR should work for you. I had one in 7RM, and it was a solid sub MOA rifle. It was a heavy beast with a slow twist barrel.
IMG_0304.jpeg

Somebody had to go and mention 338 Win Mag. I need to think about getting a real stock for a 338 in have. Couple years back I bought 700 REM, SS, DBM 338 Win mag off the site, Douglas barrel. May not have ever been shot, was chambered to deep, closed on no go. I know what I was getting when I bought it. Got a pretty good deal. Had my gunsmith buddy face it, chamber it right. I dropped it in a Hogue with bedding block to see if it shot. What little I fooled with it looks like it will shoot. One 100 yd group shot dang near ragged hole. Put it up and dang near forgot about it. I like Grayboe Terrain but they discontinued it. May get an AG, forget the name of the one I like. Just not enough hours in the day for all this gun stuff and I'm retired lol.