I have a barrel and a trigger, guess I better build another rifle. Hope I don’t forget about it LOL!

droptine

I posted a while back I found a new 30 Cal S.S. fluted heavy barrel I forgot I bought from a gun here on the site a couple years back. I have one if not two new Shilen Remington 700 triggers. One I think I won in a drawing at the Shilen swap meet a couple years back.

I've got a barrel, got a trigger might as well build another rifle lol!. I think I'll buy a stainless 700 rifle from Grabagun for the action and bottom metal. I'd like to build a long range paper puncher. Maybe a Manners, Grayboe or AG stock, something with a bag notch. Kicking around 300 win mag. I have brass and dies. I've thought about a WSM or PMC but probably stick with a win mag. If I did a WSM I'd do it on a long action. I have WSM brass and dies too.

If I build one, hope I don't put it in the safe and forget about it…….getting old sucks.

I thought about a Mac Bros but not sure they do a long action. Buying a new Remington seems to make the most sense for me. Might not save me anything but I wouldn't have to chase down bolt stops etc. I like to never found bolt stop the 270 WSM I'm about finished with and when I did it didn't fit like factory.

Comments please. Thanks Billy

If the barrel is not already threaded, I would consider a custom action from one of the many manufacturers. Most make something in the $1,000.00 range and would be worth more in the long run. If you bought and trued 700 action, you'd have that much into it anyway.

I like the 300 WM, and since you already have the components, its the easy button. Waiting on a barrel currently for mine. You have a plethora of options available to you.

I like Manners and AG Composites stocks. You should have no trouble finding something there (AG is 3-4 month lead, Manners about 6 months currently).

Sorry I'm not much help. Enjoy the process!

For a long range paper puncher and for the existing components, I would go with the WSM. You see this 30 cal cartridge more at competitive shoots than anything else…I would assume those guys know a thing or two. They seem to like H4350 with the 215 Bergers.

That's kind funny to read your post. I had a fluted stainless heavy barrel that I purchased on this sight. Also had a Timney trigger new in the box. I also had an old Remington 722 that patterned instead of grouping. I had the bolt fluted, then the barrel fitted to the action. Sent those parts out to be melonite nitrited. Added a Woox chassis and new bottom metal for a BDL. Last weekend I topped it with a Leupold that was in the gun room for three years. I hope to get to the range this week to test fire. Good luck on your build. If I did not have the 722, I would have considered a Weatherby 307 action.

Can't tell you how many times I have a single component, and go build a full custom off that one item.

Could be a stock, barrel, action...even once I just had a trigger!

My suggestion is get a less expensive custom action. Not an R700 to start with. Long gone are the times you can get a pawn shop R700 for $200-250 just for the action. Then true/square, extractor, recoil lug, Nitride or Cerakote all exceed the costs of a less expensive custom action, and it is still a Rem 700 action. Add the niceties like side bolt release, fluted bolt, tactical bolt knob, firing pin springs, etc., and you are now into it for more $ than some great custom options.

I did that 3 times, until I finally came.to my senses. If you already HAVE an R700, that helps a little bit.

For a long range paper puncher and for the existing components, I would go with the WSM. You see this 30 cal cartridge more at competitive shoots than anything else…I would assume those guys know a thing or two. They seem to like H4350 with the 215 Bergers.
One of the reasons I posted was to get other perspectives than mine which is not up to speed and dated, sucks getting old lol. I don't go to long distance competition shoots but would like to.

It doesn't surprise me WSM's are popular, doesn't head space off a belt and other reasons. I'd guess they are using long actions too.

I have WSM's, 300 WSM in a BLR with a 8 pound trigger, 7mm WSM in Model 70 and a custom ish 270 WSM REM 700 geared toward long range.

I'm need to figure out if I did a 300 WSM does it makes sense to use a long action Remington or a short action Mac Bros etc. My preference is a new factory 700, don't have to chase down as many parts and pieces.

One of the reasons I posted was to get other perspectives than mine which is not up to speed and dated, sucks getting old lol. I don't go to long distance competition shoots but would like to.

It doesn't surprise me WSM's are popular, doesn't head space off a belt and other reasons. I'd guess they are using long actions too.

I have WSM's, 300 WSM in a BLR with a 8 pound trigger, 7mm WSM in Model 70 and a custom ish 270 WSM REM 700 geared toward long range.

I'm need to figure out if I did a 300 WSM does it makes sense to use a long action Remington or a short action Mac Bros etc. My preference is a new factory 700, don't have to chase down as many parts and pieces.
Go long action than there won't be any issues with those long projectiles. My opinion anyway and I own two with custom short actions and extended box

🤔……

IMG_6285.jpeg

……Looks like a 300 SAUM to me. 🤣

I posted a while back I found a new 30 Cal S.S. fluted heavy barrel I forgot I bought from a gun here on the site a couple years back. I have one if not two new Shilen Remington 700 triggers. One I think I won in a drawing at the Shilen swap meet a couple years back.

I've got a barrel, got a trigger might as well build another rifle lol!. I think I'll buy a stainless 700 rifle from Grabagun for the action and bottom metal. I'd like to build a long range paper puncher. Maybe a Manners, Grayboe or AG stock, something with a bag notch. Kicking around 300 win mag. I have brass and dies. I've thought about a WSM or PMC but probably stick with a win mag. If I did a WSM I'd do it on a long action. I have WSM brass and dies too.

If I build one, hope I don't put it in the safe and forget about it…….getting old sucks.

I thought about a Mac Bros but not sure they do a long action. Buying a new Remington seems to make the most sense for me. Might not save me anything but I wouldn't have to chase down bolt stops etc. I like to never found bolt stop the 270 WSM I'm about finished with and when I did it didn't fit like factory.

Comments please. Thanks Billy
current Us Long range champ shoots a 300 WSM, just saying.