Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Huskemaw?

Firefighter, you read the first page and the last and you looked through a Huskamaw once so you are qualified to run down a good product , having never even used or shot at anything while looking through it. I have 5 Huskamaws on various guns and shot over 500 groundhogs at ranges out to 1000 yards with only afew taken under 300 yards (we try to give them a sporting chance). I shot a mulley at 787 and a whitetail at 975. Don't tell me the glass is no good or the scope won't track! A lot of the scopes mentioned in this thread are good scopes if you know how to use them and have the ability to shoot. Best of the West pioneered the turret that makes the Huskamaw the easiest to use scope on the market today. Yes, Aaron is using Nightforce but he still is using the same turret that was designed at Best of the West. With that turret, you can hunt anywhere and not worry about clicks or drop charts or generic holdovers, the entire chart is printed on the turret ! I hope to meet some of you naysayers some day in a shootoff with nothing but my gun and we will see who can shoot. All good scopes will work if you have the correct drop chart. If you really want to be good, learn to dope the wind.

"I hope to meet some of you naysayers some day in a shootoff with nothing but my gun and we will see who can shoot. "

Hey Paphil,

Sounds like you have alot of confidence in your setup. That's awesome.

I'm not one to ridicule anyone for what they use or like and I surely won't discredit something I haven't tried myself. I have proven to myself that the Huskamaw system works as I am sure many other systems also work well. Lets lay 2 guns on the bench and compare them by letting a novice pick them up and figure out on his own how to shoot a 600 yard target. I am not a betting man but would put my money on his being able to figure out the Huskamaw first. It is sooo easy. Dial 6 and shoot. Maybe some of the hate comes from people who don't like an easier way than what they're used to or they already spent a bunch of money on a "better" scope. I'm still scratching my head over some of the opinions that have been aired in this thread.

Top brass, The turret with wind compensation is what I'm refering to and it is patent pending so if they didn't have the idea first, they at least claimed it. Adjustable turrets are fantastic whither in yards, clicks or mil dots or minutes, feet or meters. The important thing is to have a drop chart to fit your bullet and Huskamaw has the entire chart including wind drift printed on the turret.

I could be wrong, but I beloved gunwerks has the patient ,and I don't think gunwerks is best of the west. I could be wrong though. Anyway I like the design.too

With that turret, you can hunt anywhere and not worry about clicks or drop charts or generic holdovers, the entire chart is printed on the turret ! QUOTE]

That's not really true is it? You can't use the same turret shooting antelope at 1000ft elevation and in 75 degree weather and expect the same turrets to shoot perfect at the same yardages when you go on an elk hunt at 6000' and it's 25 degrees.

That's one thing about the BDC turrets I don't get. They're set up for one set of conditions. Should those conditions change, you're either off or you need a new turret. Dialing in your MOA off a drop chart seems more complicated but surely more versatile.

Timmyatnop. The turret and patent were developed at the Best of the West and Aaron was a big part of that. As an employee or a partner or whatever. There are lots of engineers on this site who know more than I do in terms of what belongs to a company when someone leaves that company. That is not my problem to solve and being personal friends with Aaron and co. and friends with Best of the West, I hope the best for all involved, but have to suppose that the lawyers will be the only winners. As for one turret for more than one altitude and temperature, two rules of thumb that apply to the Huskamaw scope with its 1/3 minute clicks. For each 20 degrees temp or 1000 feet elevation at 1000 yards you go up or down 1 click. Up for colder or lower elevation and down for warmer or higher elevation. At 750 yards it is 1/2 click for each. At 500 yards there is no change, pretty simple math that works for 7mm and 6.5-284 for hunting big game. Run the numbers with whatever ballistic program you chose and see for yourself. I would suggest a turret that is close to what you are going to hunt but in a pinch ,a little mental math can keep you in the game.

Last edited:

Blackdog, I just reread your two hunting scenarios, one at 1000 feet at 75 degrees and one at 6000 feet and 25 degrees. Think about this for a minute and run the numbers. We went up 5000 feet and the temperature went down 50 degrees. If I were using a turret made for 1000 feet and 75 degrees and want to adjust for a 1000 yard shot at 6000 feet and 25 degrees I dial 1000 yards and then dial down 5 clicks which compensates for the thinner air and 5000 feet extra altitude. Then I dial back up 2 1/2 clicks to compensate for the 50 degrees heavier colder air. This puts me dead on at 1000 yards. Had I made no adjustment the gun would shoot about 7 inches high at 1000 and about 3 inches high at 750 yards. On the show I,m sure you've seen the shooting tip where they sight in on a rock at 750 yards. That would make it a little high at shorter ranges , but would reduce the error at 1000 yards to 3 1/2 inches, using the same turret for 1000 feet elevation. So those are the two ways to compensate and still use only one turret. I use a 2000 and a 7000 and have very little problem. Just have to pay attencion to what your turret is set for.

Paphil. How is all that simple? I assure a novice picking up the rifle can't do all that. But who cares we don't buy our rigs for ease of use for other people. If you are compitent enough to shoot 800 yards you probably understand how to dial your scope left or right for wind or if you have a night force or huskemaw you can look at a chart or ballistics program and figure out where to hold. The problem with windage being on the turret its set up for 10 MPH of course you can half that for 5 MPH or double for 20 but its not very precise if long range to you is 1000-1200+. I shoot 1200 regularly and in my experience a "generic" hold for wind is much worse than what some are calling generic hold over or bdc reticles. You need to dope the wind very accurately at those ranges. And the smaller the caliber the more important proper doping becomes. So in my book having a hold for 10 MPH on my turret isn't all that great. But that is my preference. This thread was not started to debate functionality. Its about scope clarity. I am sure you are very good with your system you have a lot of confidence which is good but I doubt you are the best. There's always someone better and wouldn't it suck if they beat you with a system you called inferior? And No botw didn't invent the engraved turret. Nobody likes made up statistics.

Mike, I gota agree with you about the wind , you get past about 600 and it is all about the wind. It sure is nice to have those numbers on the scope to help dope the wind. On the other hand, the Huskamaw is very limited at the ranges over one turn of the turret. I guess it was designed as a hunting scope up to that one revolution ,after that you have to have a paper like everyone else. I don't know who was the first to have the turret with wind compensation but I do know that BOTW owns the patent rights even if Aarons name is on the patent. That is a point I don't care to argue, that is between them and is their problem to work out which I hope they will do. I guess a person can get very comfortable with what ever system they use if they understand the physical principals that affect the bullets flight . It is a fun game and should be easy enough for the average guy to understand and afford.

Phil

Phil we definitely agree on the wind anyone who disagrees has never shot LR in the wind. And by the way having 1 minute hash marks is awesome NF and huskemaw have that nailed down I wish leupold would make a first focal plane reticle with 1 or 2 moa windage marks. That is so much quicker than dialing wind for sure. In case you didn't know I am the one who started this thread and I am going to be ordering a huskemaw to put on my browning 7mm and hope to make some comparisons to the NF npr1 and leupold and Zeiss rapid z and the Horus vision mil system. So far I am of the opinion NF can't be beat except in price and weight. Functionality its all aces. You can dial elevation or wind or use the reticle if you have. The npr1 or 2. Very awesome Scopes. But very pricey. My leupolds with dials also seem very effective. And the Zeiss rapid z 800 I don't think can be beat if you don't shoot over 800. Its quick and precise. So I'm excited to play with the huskemaw on my own gun and see what I think.

I've got a couple of Leupold VXII's and really like them but sure do miss the MOA marks. I had turrets made by Kenton Industries for them so they work in yards. There are more features to the Huskamaw that haven't even been mentioned in this thread that you will find once you start playing with the scope. Are you getting the blue diamond or the regular scope?

I have used the huskemaw quite a bit. And honestly don't know what unmentioned advantages you are talking about. Care to divulge? A d I'm not sure which one ill get I am not sure of pros / cons to price ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.