Hunting with Glasses

I've had horrible vision since 3rd grade-- wore glasses and contacts till I was 40, got prk surgery, it lasted for about 8 years-- I'm back to progressive trifocals --i only buy the best of the best and my depth perception is horrible with my glasses-- I just bump into stuff alot now -- it gets really bad in reduced light conditions.

OBTW: get a pair of progressives that are Polarized and UV 400 sunglasses too. Carry both, switch out as needed. I've found that the "Transitioning" lenses that change tint automatically suck and under certain circumstances, like under fluorescent bulbs in my shop and reloading room, will start changing tint when it's not desired. I too went straight from readers to needing multifocal lenses "later in life." It's an adjustment you can make. Be patient. Give it time. The sooner you start wearing them full time the faster it will occur.

I have recently started to need glasses, with corrections for both distance and close up. I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be dangerous in the "woods" because I tend to misjudge my footing with them on. This has led to some comical and spectacular falls, but fortunately no injuries yet. I really need them, especially for seeing my scope dial.

Question: has anyone used nonstandard bifocals? As an example, having a small reading lense on one side, in an out of the way place, or bifocal lenses on the top of one or both lenses?

I will carry dime store readers for map reading, but in a crunch situation I think these wouldn't work super well.
I had that problem as well. I chose to step outside my comfort zone and go all the way to contacts. My doctor prescribed "Mono" vision contacts. I'm right eye dominant so she made it my fat vision and my left near. It took about a week to adjust but now I love them. Mu shooting improved immensely and no more trying to find my cheaters or getting nauseous from the progressive glasses. JMO

My fix was finding a good optician that will listen and understand what i needed, same as you. I got Ray-Ban aviator style and had a bifocal lens as small (short) and as low as possible put in the bottom. They are much better than the standard set up they normally make for people. The tear drop style sits much lower out of your normal line of site.
Been there there done that have the dirty t-shirt from falling getting use to bifocals. Took me a year or two like greyfox said.

Cactus Jack:
When I was welding for a living, I used duel segment lenses, bifocal on the top and on the bottom, as I did a lot of close overhead work. I'm sure you you could get the bifocal on just the top if you thought that would work.

Good ideas here, but I can only tell you this…..

I'm the guy who fixes the broken wrists and elbows from falling in the woods. When it comes to your eyes, go see a pro! I'd recommend visiting with an ophthalmologist. They're MDs with training well beyond what an optician has. Be very specific in your goals and desires. Consider corrective surgery. For me it'll has been nothing short of miraculous. If you opt for lenses, talk through all your options. It might take a couple of tries to find the best solution for you, but you'll save time and end up with a better result if you get the right people in your corner.

It's amazing how people will spend 4 figures on scopes and binoculars but not a couple hundred bucks to see a good eye doc. ;)

I have been on progressive eye glass for several years now. I tried bi-focal and don't like them. My glass are set up to change in the sun light, but enough to I use an attached sunglass attachments as needed.

I've had horrible vision since 3rd grade-- wore glasses and contacts till I was 40, got prk surgery, it lasted for about 8 years-- I'm back to progressive trifocals --i only buy the best of the best and my depth perception is horrible with my glasses-- I just bump into stuff alot now -- it gets really bad in reduced light conditions.
Yes I have noticed ever since I got glasses I need much more like to see

Tagging in as I've just started to need glasses for hunting with open sights during CO MZL season.

Not sure your hunting style/circumstance but as a higher altitude backpack hunter I've seen my buddies really struggle with contacts. Most of the issues are around keeping solution and lenses from freezing and filthy dirty hands. There are ways to manage both of these issues but it's a PITA especially at 3:30 am, 8 degrees trying to roll out of spike camp.

For now I stick to glasses.

For years before cataract surgery, I wore distant correction contact in right eye (dominant), reading correction in left eye, worked great after a week +/- acclimation. Same setup for lenses when I had surgery. Have glasses to match left eye to distant, but never wear them.

You might want to try that with disposable contacts. Wouldn't break the bank if you don't like that setup. Good luck.

Frank

I'm 80. I've used "duplex" (left eye near, right eye distant) correction for 50 years as suggested by an ophthalmologist when I was flying for a living. Glasses worked so well I went for contacts for 35 years. Now, I've found Lazic surgery even better. No problems with scopes or red dots. I use glasses with 30" focal in right lens for competitive hand gunning.

Good ideas here, but I can only tell you this…..

I'm the guy who fixes the broken wrists and elbows from falling in the woods. When it comes to your eyes, go see a pro! I'd recommend visiting with an ophthalmologist. They're MDs with training well beyond what an optician has. Be very specific in your goals and desires. Consider corrective surgery. For me it'll has been nothing short of miraculous. If you opt for lenses, talk through all your options. It might take a couple of tries to find the best solution for you, but you'll save time and end up with a better result if you get the right people in your corner.

Everyone will have varied opinions because we all have slightly different problems and circumstances.

I got tired of getting incomplete answers from the optometrist so I went to a highly recommended ophthalmologist who is also a shooter.

I can't wear contacts because of a barrel astigmatism, glasses only. I need tri-focals to resolve the visual distances for focus when running my CNC machines. I function quite well in darkness and without glasses in the woods and at home, no broken bones or sprained wrists. I did have him make some glasses for hunting when using scopes. Then I needed a pair to work for me when I was shooting prone. I took my rifles in, laid down on the floor so he could see what the problem was.

He is a good man with the knowledge to solve problems. Yes his prices are a little higher but he has the solutions to my problems.

Not sure your hunting style/circumstance but as a higher altitude backpack hunter I've seen my buddies really struggle with contacts. Most of the issues are around keeping solution and lenses from freezing and filthy dirty hands. There are ways to manage both of these issues but it's a PITA especially at 3:30 am, 8 degrees trying to roll out of spike camp.

For now I stick to glasses.

I tried contacts years and tears ago with the same results. I wear glasses now, also.

:)

I have recently started to need glasses, with corrections for both distance and close up. I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be dangerous in the "woods" because I tend to misjudge my footing with them on. This has led to some comical and spectacular falls, but fortunately no injuries yet. I really need them, especially for seeing my scope dial.

Question: has anyone used nonstandard bifocals? As an example, having a small reading lense on one side, in an out of the way place, or bifocal lenses on the top of one or both lenses?

I will carry dime store readers for map reading, but in a crunch situation I think these wouldn't work super well.
I use line less progressive bifocals. Took a few day to get use to. But no problem.