Hunting with and without suppressor?

I always have a can on my rifle while hunting. I just bring a rifle that is an appropriate length for the type of hunting I'll be doing. Sometimes that's a 18" shorty or a big 26" barreled

Last edited:
There is no need to "load down for a suppressor" unless you're trying to go subsonic and completely eliminate the "crack" of breaking the sound barrier. I wouldn't do that either. I'm running full velocity loads through all of my suppressors, and most of them actually gain 15-25 fps with the can on.

As others have stated, with the benefit of how game is far less spooky after a shot with the can, and the benefit of not damaging your hearing, my cans stay on my guns unless I'm hunting in Canada or a State that doesn't allow them.
Thanks for the info on that, brother. I didn't know that.

Well I went and shot this afternoon with the Dilligent Defense suppressor and it didn't change POI so that was nice. I shot over my Magnetospeed and got average velocity and verified dope out to 400 on steel. Hopefully soon take it out to 700-1,000 and see how it does.

Anyhow this Enticer S-ti can did not have a "tinny" sound to me as some eluded to. It got hot fast, a wrap will help with mirage. Velocity and POI didn't really change suppressed vs. non suppressed.

No, I too have seen Whitetail stand there after a shot. Red Deer, Aoudad and Antelope too. All supersonic.

The deer in my profile was a free range deer. The dozen does around him jumped, then went right back to eating.

Last month, I was hunting Aoudad in W Texas. (Not me shooting) Three shots at an Aoudad Ram at 150 and he only moved 20-30 yards between shots.

Game behaves differently when you remove that muzzle blast sound.

I was referring to his comments about the bullet drop and trade off in velocity since it seemed like he was saying you had to run subs with a suppressor.

I 100% agree about game behaving differently with an suppressor, even when they are shot they don't run like they do when hit while shooting unsuppressed.

Tape the end of your suppressor. Keep some spare tape on your rifle barrel or in your pack.

Check out our scoped action armor. www.lswild.com

Check your POI with and without can if you want. Some cans move POI significantly, others don't.

If it is off by 1" and you are beating brush shooting inside 150 yards it won't matter.

IMO, always leave it on. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Hearing first, for you and others. Second, less disruption to the game.

If you do choose to see if you can safely pull it on and off, you should confirm whether there is a POI shift. My suppressor and rifles don't shift when I take it on and off. Learn how to hand spin it and get it tight enough. Even with that, once hunting season hits, I don't take my suppressor off the rifle unless I have to.

Like others I have one rifle with a 26" barrel and 7" suppressor. It's just something to deal with, and you can learn how. I also have gone shorter barrels with faster cartridges so I can also run rifles with shorter barrels.

Also, build into your shooting a check that your suppressor is on tight. I like to leave a little blue loctite residue on the rifle threads. If you don't, it will come loose one day and you will wonder what happened and if it goes really bad you will launch your suppressor or get a baffle strike.
BD7BEE88-5497-4A8B-8C2F-64B28E637BF7.jpeg
B90F04D0-6C89-43BD-AE10-1C3FE649FB73.jpeg