Recoil reduction with suppressor

Send it 284

Do suppressors reduce recoil anywhere near as effectively as a brake?
Id like to put one on my hunting rifles but want to be able to spot my shots

I have ran suppressors from 223 up to 300 win mag. In my experience I have found they offer a good reduction in recoil-but no where near as effective as a brake like American precision arms.

with that being said - I would grab the suppressor every time over a muzzle Brake!!!

I have a couple suppressors. I am not recoil sensitive, but for anything bigger than .300WM, I prefer a brake.
To me, with a 6CM, 6.5SLR, .25SST, two 6.5SSs,and a .280AI, I do not find them difficult to shoot with a suppressor, but definitely more felt recoil than with a good 3 port brake. But the sound reducing tradeoff is absolutely worth it.
I have a TBAC Ultra 9 in .308 and a TBAC Ultra 7 in 6.5mm.

Depends on the cartridge - I have a Gunwerks 8ight and have used it on my 6.5 Sherman, 6 Creed, and 223, but haven't tried it out on my 300 RUM yet. I'm with the others - while brakes are great, I'd much rather go with the sound reduction.

Nothing wrong with a brake, that's why we wear ear protection.

As far as suppressor, yes it reduces recoil but it more elongates the recoil wave versus a snappy recoil like a brake will provide.

I won't hunt without a suppressor. It's just too nice to hunt with.

Anyone who hunts or shoots with a BRAKE is:
A) Deaf
B) Not thinking correctly
C) Deaf

I am recoil shy, recoil sensitive, bad shoulder, bad neck, & still will NEVER own or use a brake.
and animals still die.

Absolutely agree! Even if a particular rifle gives a little more recoil with a suppressor, it is worth the trade off. Nothing more annoying than going to a range and having THAT PERSON next to you blasting away with a AR especially at an indoor range.

I think that generally there is very little recoil reduction with a suppressor, but they are very much worth it for noise reduction over a brake. I also recommend wearing hearing protection when shooting suppressed for an extended round count.

I think that generally there is very little recoil reduction with a suppressor, but they are very much worth it for noise reduction over a brake. I also recommend wearing hearing protection when shooting suppressed for an extended round count.
Absolutely!! I wear my fitted in-ear electronic Ear Pros shooting suppressed and add muffs otherwise. You will never know how precious your hearing is until it is gone.

Recent Posts