Recoil reduction with suppressor

I just put 60 rounds of 6.5cm through a suppressed Proof Research MTR, 143 gr ELD-X in two days.
I wore no ear protection and did not need it. It was tame. The recoil was also tame. I was expecting it to be brutal, it was not. But my next time out will be my new 112 Savage 338 LM. I am concerned about recoil so will use the factory supplied brake. I might consider a suppressor in the future if the recoil is not as bad as I am fearing.

My 13 year old daughter doesn't like noise or recoil (With plugs and or muffs) so I put together a 6.5x47 with a suppressor. She loves that rifle and we can shoot it off the kitchen table with no heating protection.

As others said, suppressors don't reduce recoil near as much as a brake. But I've found making sure length of pull is correct for your body and a good recoil bad, in addition to a suppressor, will get felt recoil down a lot.

Regarding LOP, I was surprised how much it can affect muzzle jump. I was shooting my son's 6.5CM with an adjustable stock. When I extended the stock out from 12.5 inches to 13.5 inches LOP, the muzzle jump virtually went away. At 12.5 I couldn't spot my shots, but at 13.5 LOP I could because the muzzle didn't jump as much.

Back to suppressors for hunting....I went on an elk hunt 3 years ago with a friend who had a suppressor. After he took multiple shots in a rushed situation(read, didn't have time to put on hearing protection) to bring down a bull with me calling his shots I was sure glad he had it - saved my ears. Since then I've purchased two myself and thinking about adding a third.

It depends, just like everything else.
My 7x300 has pretty sharp recoil with no brake, it's easy to shoot with a brake, it's even easier to shoot with a suppressor.
Recoil reduction with the suppressor is as good or better than my brake. That said, I have a plain radial brake for that gun, which is not as effective as some other designs, and I don't like it. I'll never own another radial brake.
With the suppressor, my 10 year old kid could shoot it all day.
I do think that precieved recoil is increased with muzzle blast, even though the gun is not "kicking" as hard, it shocks your other senses, which has other, and sometimes equally negative effects on the shooter.
I own brakes, they have their place, but they are very dangerous. Suppressors are worth twice what you pay for them.

I don't personally own a suppressor, but my brother in law does. Seems to help with recoil in my experience shooting it.

As someone else mentioned, the more I shoot and coach others, the more I believe that most shooters are actually flinching more from the muzzle blast anticipation than the recoil.

I've noticed this a lot in my own shooting through the years. A buddy and I shoot a groundhog tournament every year. Typically, I plug up for every shot. Often kill woodchuck out to 500 yards... but by the end of the day we are feeling the pressure and often rush things. I've missed woodchuck at 50 yards (admittedly freehand shots, but I've killed them to almost 200 freehand with plugs in) when shooting without earplugs, and that is just shooting a long barreled 223. When reviewing my shot, I know without a doubt I jerked the trigger due to anticipating the muzzle blast.

A can is in my near future.

Advantages of Muzzle Brakes
  1. Many are ported to offset muzzle rise, helping you stay on target to spot impacts (see field test data)
  2. Reduces recoil about 30% more than a suppressor, helping you stay on target to spot impacts (see field test data)
  3. Don't cause your barrel to heat like a suppressor, so less wait time between strings of fire
  4. More maneuverable, because it's lighter and shorter than a suppressor
  5. Much cheaper (Less than $200 compared to $1000+ for popular suppressors + the $200 tax stamp)
  6. Skip the hassle of the 4-10 month process of acquiring a silencer tax stamp and keeping that paperwork on-hand
from : https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/02/02/best-suppressor/

-Note: I didn't list the advantage of suppressors also found in the article above.

The brake with the suppressor does help more with recoil. both the internal brake that is on the mount, as well as the external brake. The external brake on the supressor that I am talking about can be seen on the Silencerco Harvester, or Omega. The Harvester is direct thread, whereas the Omega can be direct thread or quick disconnect and it also has the option of removing the brake.
Actually you can use the Omega K ASR or Octane nano ASR to make the Harvester quick detach. I run my Harvester with the brake on my 6.5 CM. It's no louder than a 22 magnum to my ears. I use it on everything from .243 to 300wsm. I like it so much, I'm hoping to put an anchor braked Hybrid 46 on the smokeless muzzleloader.

Do suppressors reduce recoil anywhere near as effectively as a brake?
Id like to put one on my hunting rifles but want to be able to spot my shots
Its hard to tell which gives you better reduction with recoil, but I had a Christensen arms and the brake went all the way around and the amout of ground debris i would get in my eye hunting sucked. I have been able to kill more than one elk at a time, me and a buddy had suppressors and he shot one and I shot one after him and neither spooked the herd till we walked out into the opening, so theres that. I love shooting with the suppresors, I just hate the wait, but thats getting better.