Hunting with a possible marginal stability bullet

Creedmoor shooter

So I've been shooting the 180 eld-m in my factory Remington long range in 7mm rem mag 9.25 twist barrel. I have a load worked up for it that shoots under .5 moa with a SD of 6 @ 2959 fps. So far in my testing down to 40 degrees its shot great. What I'm worried about is what this bullet is going to do in sub freezing temps or even below 0 temps that we get during our November rifle season. I really have no way of testing it until the season comes and by that point it's too late. My gut is telling me to switch bullets now and work up a load with either the 162 eld-m or the 168 berger hvld (I have both on hand) before the season is upon us. What do you guys think? Stick with my load and send it or be safe and work up a new one?

I just went through the same decision process. I recently worked up a load using the Berger 156 EOL in my 1;8 twist 6.5x284 at 2995FPS. At my 300 ALT location at 50F iI shot exceptionally well with sub .5MOA, tested out to 1000 yards. My stability using the Berger calculator was right on the line at 1.5. While my hunting locations added 2000-3000FT of altitude, the temperatures could reach sub freezing which would pull me down in the marginal range of 1.47. Given the marginal benefit of the 156 for the game and distances I would encounter, I used my well proven 142gr load. Glad I did. Just spent the week pursuing, and ultimately shooting one of my better whitetails......without the distraction of worrying about my loads performance. After the season, in the colder months, I'll do some additional testing of the 156 at lower temperatures.

I just went through the same decision process. I recently worked up a load using the Berger 156 EOL in my 1;8 twist 6.5x284 at 2995FPS. At my 300 ALT location at 50F iI shot exceptionally well with sub .5MOA, tested out to 1000 yards. My stability using the Berger calculator was right on the line at 1.5. While my hunting locations added 2000-3000FT of altitude, the temperatures could reach sub freezing which would pull me down in the marginal range of 1.47. Given the marginal benefit of the 156 for the game and distances I would encounter, I used my well proven 142gr load. Glad I did. Just spent the week pursuing, and ultimately shooting one of my better whitetails......without the distraction of worrying about my loads performance. After the season, in the colder months, I'll do some additional testing of the 156 at lower temperatures.
I'm thinking I'll do the same. I dont want to ruin my season because I decided to push the limits of what my rifle is able to do. My BC held true in this summer, but I'm worried it will either degrade BC significantly or become completely unstable all together. At this point I'm trying to decide between the 162 eld-m or the 168 berger hunting vld

I'm betting you'll be fine if your on the 1.5.
You might loose a little B.C but I doudt
You will lose enough stability to start tumbling.
On berger twist calculator you have to get down to 1.0 to start getting unstable.

Last edited:
I'm betting you'll be fine if your on the 1.5.
You might loose a little B.C but I doudt
You will lose enough stability to start tumbling.
On berger twist calculator you have to get down to 1.0 to start getting unstable.
Its saying at 0°f I'm at about a 1.25 sg. At 60°f I'm at 1.4

Let me give you an example, I have a 20BRAI that shoots a 55 at 3750 with a 9 twist. I shot the best group of my life with it a 100 .078 and I've shot it to 500 with zero issues. If you run it through bergets twist calculator its 1.2. I also know of a guy on another forum who used one in a 1,000 BR match that shot a 3" group in competion with a 9tw.
Personally in my opinion if your not going through transonic which rarely happens on hunting rifles people over twist rifles.

Let me give you an example, I have a 20BRAI that shoots a 55 at 3750 with a 9 twist. I shot the best group of my life with it a 100 .078 and I've shot it to 500 with zero issues. If you run it through bergets twist calculator its 1.2. I also know of a guy on another forum who used one in a 1,000 BR match that shot a 3" group in competion with a 9tw.
Personally in my opinion if your not going through transonic which rarely happens on hunting rifles people over twist rifles.
The BC on this bullet has held true for me out to 1000 yards (.397 g7) the only issue I had with it is when I went to 1350 for some odd reason I had to adjust my BC to .360g7. But for 300 yards and in I think I'll probably be fine. I just didnt know if it would have any I'll effects on terminal performance

IM0, you are not betting on whether the bullet will be stable or not, you are betting on the conditions. All factors can be calculated, and the stability(and BC) determined using the Berger Stability Calculator. In my case, one of my hunting locations(temperature) could effect a decrease in BC, that was enough to produce an uncertain shot at my max range if I encountered the low end of the temperature range.

I'm not really worried about the BC. Here In the northeast the shots aren't over 300 yards. I've never shot at a deer past 250 in my life. What I'm concerned about is what a marginally stable bullet might do after it hits the deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.