Hunting/ Target scope advice

anubismp

I've been shooting for quite some time but mostly tactial stuff with some plinking and target mixed in. I grew up in upstate NY where hunting was bow or shotgun only so while I'm very familiar with tactical scopes I'm searching for advice for a hunting scope. I'd like a scope for hunting and target practice. Out in WA I've found while we have a few long range spots most of the actual hunting enounters seem to be very close. I'm starting to think then that a scope with a low mag would be good for FOV and more realistic for the ranges I'm likely to see. With that being said I'd also like something with a bit more top end for long distance practice and if I find a longer shot or go to the east side of the state where distance opens up or travel. I already have an IOR 2.5-10x42 which I've had on my 6.5 grendel for a long while. I've thought of using this but I wonder if its a bit much for what I'm doing.

My hunting rifle is a Steyr Pro Hunter in 30-06. I'm mostly going for deer and elk though bear isnt out off the question. I'm between looking into a 1-4 or a 2.5-10 or just keeping the scope I already have and getting another optic for the grendel. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Ok cool, always nice to get a second opinion. I've got some 30mm rings ordered up so hopefully I'll be ready to go shortly.

Either of your considerations would serve you well. The lower power scopes in a realistic hunting situation will often work better in the situations you describe.

I personally have most of my hard core hunting rigs equipped with NF 2.5-10x32 or 42 scopes. Nice to dial down in the thick stuff where I'll not need the use of the reticle for longer shots, plus the ability to use the 10x and reticle for the chance of longer shots makes for a hard to beat real situation hunting package.

The illumination is also a great feature. I've used it even on overcast days when an animal steps into the dark shadows at the edge of the heavy cover and the reticle gets pretty hard to see when holding on your target. That plus the occasional early or late shooting opportunity makes the illumination a value added bonus in the field.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the help, I got my IOR mounted last night. Medium talley 30mm rings put it at the perfect height and the bolt clears the scope (barely)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.